collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Could the toys have a more diverse cast of characters being released?  (Read 7015 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Characters that appear in the g4 tv show don't get toys/ collectables. Moondancer, Double Diamond, Night Glider, Party Favor, Sugar Belle, Bright Mac, Pear Butter, Starswirl the Bearded, Somnambula, Stygian, Flash Magnus, Rockhoof, Mage Meadowbrook, Limestone Pie, Marble Pie, Zephyr Breeze, Mr and Mrs Shy, Windy Whistles, Inky Rose, Screwball, Bulk Biceps, Button Mash, Featherweight and more have NEVER had a single toy made of them, to date. And yet, really obscure background fodder ponies like Pretzel, Pursey Pink, Flower Wishes, Lemony Gem, and Buttonbelle continue to get toys made of them.

Surely, there could be a LOT more diversity with these added characters, than the officially licensed toys/ collectables that we're given- featuring the same gimmicky mane 6 and Princesses. It's so disappointing that the pattern has changed so drastically from the g1 super diverse cast releases; when collecting of many different characters was actually required.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
There's something to be said about hasbros ability to producec a new pony using old molds. Those easy cookie cutter characters are more likely to get a toy release than more unique looking characters like Bulk Biceps of Pipsqueak who would need a new mold casted to produce them.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
really obscure background fodder ponies like Pretzel, Pursey Pink, Flower Wishes, Lemony Gem, and Buttonbelle continue to get toys made of them.

Even those above mentioned only got one release, except Flower Wishes who I think has 2. Others like Trixie have had a couple of releases, I think...Starlight Glimmer now has a few as well. The reboot has also seen more releases for DJ Pon3 and Photo Finish...and Cheerilee has also had several releases. And we have had Soarin and Spitfire as well, who I believe are more mainstream background characters because of the Wonderbolts. So there is a B-cast line of production as well.

I don't watch the show and don't know (or really care) who most of the unproduced characters you mention are, but I totally agree with the lack of diversity in the production. I am happy to have all the fodder ones you mentioned because they are not mane 6.

Speaking as a kid who grew up with pretty much zero relationship to the G1 animation and who still considers it a thing that happened, rather than something that defines any part of G1 canon, I think it's a shame G4 is so dependent on the animation. It means the rerelease of the same characters over and over because Hasbro can use the show as an excuse to resell their stars in barely different forms rather than diversifying. It also dictates to the audience which ponies are important and which are not, as opposed to letting the kid decide for themselves. I have a lot of non-mane 6 G4 toys, and I genuinely don't know where most of them fit in, if they even do - but I'm collecting with a G1 mentality. I think the G4 mentality is to prioritise the show characters in the way the show does, so there's less concern about what gets released among G4 only fans.

But they stopped being original a long time ago. It was beginning at the end of G1 with the 7 characters (who also tied into the animation, so the blueprint for what G4 became was there in proto form even then). They went to town on it with G2 rereleases of the same characters, but as that line had no animation, it was a kind of balance between rereleased old ones in new forms and new ponies. Of course, the lack of presence in the US meant that that line was pretty much dictated by Europe.

G3 didn't begin that way, although there were some that got different pose rereleases. But then it got into the core 7 rubbish and since then it's been a downhill slide.

I think we've all discussed that ad nauseum to be honest. I don't think it's a new subject to raise that Hasbro lack diversity. If only us complaining about it on a forum like this actually made them change their approach - but it seems likely any reboot of MLP in the future will stay hopelessly tied to these six designs in some basic way or other.

Kissthethunder is right about the mould thing, I guess - although they splashed out on a ton of new moulds for the reboot so it seems crazy that they can't do better with the characters. Mind you, the new moulds are hideous...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 04:08:56 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Yes. We say this like every time the subject gets brought up. We've been saying it since G3's Core 7, really.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
It could, but the reality is we get tons of Pinkie Pies etc because they are the main characters and main characters sell.

I know this isn't what a lot of us want to hear, but it's true.  Just like in BTAS they pumped out a ton of Batman toys compared to anyone else.  Or how in TMNT most of the line consists of the four turtles, released again and again with different 'action gimmicks'.  Or how Papa Smurf, Grumpy Smurf, and Smurfette end up on more merchandise than Finance Smurf.

The reason G1 had so much diversity was that it was not a show-driven toyline.  Whereas G4's popularity very much derives from the show, and is dependent on the show.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
I always feel like it's unfair to compare how they are releasing G1 toys vs G4 toys.

Hasbro's strategy is different this generation. And let's face it, it worked. We are all free to like it or not-- but it's been around for many years now because it worked.

*I* personally wouldn't of wanted to see MORE characters from the show. *yuck* However, I wish we DID see just a few more random non-show ponies.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
I just want a g4 Moondancer toy, dangit!
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
I just want a g4 Moondancer toy, dangit!

Well, there's a blind bag of her (and a Playskool pony, but she uses G1 Moondancer's design.. well, she's closer to G1 than G4, anyway).

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile

*I* personally wouldn't of wanted to see MORE characters from the show. *yuck* However, I wish we DID see just a few more random non-show ponies.

I basically echo this.

I also think maybe it's in context with how a lot of other successful toy lines currently operate, with the show, merchandising, etc. I am not for sure if kids like the nauseating rereleases given the amount of shelfsitting mane 6 in my areas, but they aren't really given a choice in the matter. What I do know is that when other characters do appear in lines here where I shop, they get snapped up quickly. I have seen kids go through whole racks looking for a particular not mane 6 character.

So a few more diverse characters in amongst the core mane 6 lines would probably work too.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
They definitely could, but they probably won't. I mean they could easily just take random background pony designs wh wouldn't even need new molds and put them into toy form, or they could turn more blind bag ponies into regular toys, but despite that we still keep getting more Mane 6 constantly. I just hope they don't do the same thing again with the next generaion and actually give us more variety. I understand that the main ponies are going to get more releases, but the extent that they take it to with the Mane 6 is ridiculous. They could just do, like, two releases a year and give us new ponies with the rest...

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Could the toys have a more diverse cast of characters being released?
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 04:20:09 PM »
Most definitely. But they won't cause Hasbro sucks. Their brains have been hijacked by these 6 ponies. Why? I dunno. If the next group is like this, Hasbro can shove it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 04:26:01 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 04:44:56 PM »
Most definitely. But they won't cause Hasbro sucks. Their brains have been hijacked by these 6 ponies. Why? I dunno. If the next group is like this, Hasbro can shove it.
Yes, Hasbros brains have been hijacked... I don't know why but I know how. Rarity made some secret agent suits and gear. Applejack brought supplies. Fluttershy brought her animals as a distraction. Rainbow got them to the Hasbro headquarters. Twilight planned how they would infiltrate the building. Pinkie rounded everyone up and took control. It all makes sense, you see!

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 04:48:31 PM »
Yes, Hasbros brains have been hijacked... I don't know why but I know how. Rarity made some secret agent suits and gear. Applejack brought supplies. Fluttershy brought her animals as a distraction. Rainbow got them to the Hasbro headquarters. Twilight planned how they would infiltrate the building. Pinkie rounded everyone up and took control. It all makes sense, you see!

Friendship is magic. And brainwashing. (it's in the smallprint).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Stellaluna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 04:51:52 PM »
Gosh, the title of this thread was very clickbaity. I thought you had news about new brushables and I got really excited.  Please hasbro give us more ponies! :drunk:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 05:01:09 PM »

Friendship is magic. And brainwashing. (it's in the smallprint).

It all makes sense.  :shakefist:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal