collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Could the toys have a more diverse cast of characters being released?  (Read 6943 times)

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Could the toys have a more diverse cast of characters being released?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 05:21:39 PM »
Even my four year old niece seems to be tired of the Mane 6. She literally sighs whenever she gets gifted another Rarity or Pinkie Pie, and normally she's excited to get a new pony. And I don't blame her. What little girl is going to get excited about the millionth Pinkie Pie Hasbro has come out with, especially when they all look the same? When I was little I had two G3 Pinkie Pies and I thought that two was enough!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 06:21:08 PM »
My daughter has grown tired of them as well. It annoyed her to no end to have to get yet another Rarity just to own Capper.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 07:28:31 PM »
My daughter has grown tired of them as well. It annoyed her to no end to have to get yet another Rarity just to own Capper.

I think almost every new movie character was bundled with a Mane 6 pony as well. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 05:57:11 AM »
The reason G1 had so much diversity was that it was not a show-driven toyline.  Whereas G4's popularity very much derives from the show, and is dependent on the show.

There you have it. G1 was about the toys, first and foremost. So the main selling point was diversity - constantly reinventing itself - to keep you coming back for more.

The same goes for G3.

The brand may have immensely grown in popularity with G4 because of the show, but it had a devastating effect on the toy line - creative wise.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 07:33:03 PM »
They definitely could, but they probably won't. I mean they could easily just take random background pony designs wh wouldn't even need new molds and put them into toy form, or they could turn more blind bag ponies into regular toys, but despite that we still keep getting more Mane 6 constantly. I just hope they don't do the same thing again with the next generaion and actually give us more variety. I understand that the main ponies are going to get more releases, but the extent that they take it to with the Mane 6 is ridiculous. They could just do, like, two releases a year and give us new ponies with the rest...

They been doing that finally tho. Ever since the pearlized ponies they have been including non-Mane 6 ponies along with some of the Mane 6.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »
They definitely could, but they probably won't. I mean they could easily just take random background pony designs wh wouldn't even need new molds and put them into toy form, or they could turn more blind bag ponies into regular toys, but despite that we still keep getting more Mane 6 constantly. I just hope they don't do the same thing again with the next generaion and actually give us more variety. I understand that the main ponies are going to get more releases, but the extent that they take it to with the Mane 6 is ridiculous. They could just do, like, two releases a year and give us new ponies with the rest...

They been doing that finally tho. Ever since the pearlized ponies they have been including non-Mane 6 ponies along with some of the Mane 6.

Yeah, but they still push them too much.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2018, 08:13:25 PM »

Nowhere near as much as they should be. Still way too many Mane 6 releases each year. We still cannot go a single wave of single ponies without some Mane 6 included, and two packs containing new characters still come with one of the Mane 6 as well. I mean like, they should primarily release new characters with each wave and every so often including a Mane 6 pony in there.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:17:59 PM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 06:04:24 AM »
The first movie 2 packs force you to buy a new character with a Man 6. 

Secret Hasbro meeting

"Well we've got these new movie character and we should make toys of them but were overstocked on Twilight Sparkles, Rarity's and Pinkie Pies so we'll make everyone have to buy a Mane 6 pony to get a new character"

The first Skystar sea pony came in a two pack with Twilight Sparkle

Tempest came in a 3 pack with Twiight Sparkle and Spike

Capper was paired with Rarity (although this pairing does make sense with the movie)

Hippogriff Skystar was paired with Pinkie Pie (again this makes sense with the movie)

Twilgiht Sparkle and Songbird Serenade

The All Abouts have a few Mane 6 mixed in the waves as well but my stores are overstocked on Big Mac, Starlight, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Vinyl Sratch and Twilight.

Ponyfan

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 07:55:11 AM »
The first movie 2 packs force you to buy a new character with a Man 6. 

Secret Hasbro meeting

"Well we've got these new movie character and we should make toys of them but were overstocked on Twilight Sparkles, Rarity's and Pinkie Pies so we'll make everyone have to buy a Mane 6 pony to get a new character"

The first Skystar sea pony came in a two pack with Twilight Sparkle

Tempest came in a 3 pack with Twiight Sparkle and Spike

Capper was paired with Rarity (although this pairing does make sense with the movie)

Hippogriff Skystar was paired with Pinkie Pie (again this makes sense with the movie)

Twilgiht Sparkle and Songbird Serenade

The All Abouts have a few Mane 6 mixed in the waves as well but my stores are overstocked on Big Mac, Starlight, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Vinyl Sratch and Twilight.

Ponyfan

There you have it Wardah. It wouldn't kill Hasbro to have released them by themselves,  or with other new characters. They don't pull this crap by forcing us to buy Megatron, Optimus, Bumblebee and Starscream with a different character everytime they release a new line of TFs and they should have never started doing it in MLP. Especially to the obnoxious extent that they do.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:57:56 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 09:45:34 AM »
It's as if they think these items won't sell on their own and require a mane 6 pony to sell the deal.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 10:50:48 AM »
It's as if they think these items won't sell on their own and require a mane 6 pony to sell the deal.

Which is a self-fulfilling prophecy because kids will get it just to have a new character they want. Nevermind that new characters by themselves  fly off the shelves. Who is in charge of this stuff? They need to go work somewhere else. Like the xerox machine.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2018, 12:36:31 PM »
Who is in charge of this stuff? They need to go work somewhere else. Like the xerox machine.
:P Lol.
Do they think that kids buying the toys now just flat out don't have any of the mane 6? I could understand releasing some with waves to be consistent and allow kids who are just now old enough to say "yes" and "no" to certain toys to get their favorite characters from the show, but honestly releasing Rarity and Pinkie Pie with the new movie characters is the only thing keeping me from picking up Capper or Skystar. At least Songbird had a single release!
I'm upset with the large pack of fashion styles they're releasing this year. So what if Luna is blue? Again, Pillars? Daybreak? Anybody else except for the mane 6? They just released the "magic of everypony" set for 2017 Christmas, so I really have no need for the new set.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2018, 01:56:00 PM »
Yeah they COULD.

However, TV toyline manufacturing in all genres has streamlined itself greatly to the "team of heroes" principle.  Look up examples of sentai animation.

We've had this in MLP since G3 started their Mane 6 about 1/3 into the releases.  OMG it was going so well with all the diversity until suddenly... there were only six ponies.  *shudder*

It unfortunately costs them less to have less diversity, and they don't feel like they get the return they want (because revenue =/= upfront ZERO supply cost), so they choose NOT to.  Clearly Hasbro has moved from an economy of "we own many many many of those plastic hair-making machines and a crazy amount of injector molds, so! we will make vinyl and brushable EVERYTHING and stuff it in stores"  into more of a "we have very specific set of margins for what we can spend on contracting third-party companies who own the expensive manufacturing machines.  plus we have to pay for the CEO's vacation."
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2018, 05:43:05 PM »
Skystar as a sea pony  does have a version with a musical shell but that came out after the one that was paired with Twilight Sparkle. It’s almost like Hasbro wants to force people to buy extra Mane 6 ponies with new characters before releasing the new character separately. For a while the only way to get a Tempest was the the TRU set with Twilight Sparkle Tempest and Spike or the Khol’s set that included several ponies in it.

I don’t expect Capper or Hippogriff Skystar  to get released separately although Hasbro could surprise me.

Just adding some of the movie lines featuring the Mane 6

Pearly sea ponies (all six released)

All Abouts (all six released)

Land and sea transforming tails (all six released)

Large sparking eyes(at least some of the Mane 6) sea ponies

Some sea pony Mane 6 were released with acessories. I know I saw Rarity, Pinkie Rainbow Dash and Twilight .

Spinning skirts (at least some of the Mane 6)

That’s a lot of Mane 6 ponies :dizzy:

Ponyfan

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2018, 06:07:27 PM »
For a while the only way to get a Tempest was the the TRU set with Twilight Sparkle Tempest and Spike or the Khol’s set that included several ponies in it.

And even now that she does have a single release, it's next to impossible to find because most places still have the first two waves!

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal