collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Characters / designs for next Transformers cartoon (Cyberverse) revealed  (Read 22183 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
I was just on Hasbro's website and they have finally listed the main cast of the upcoming TF cartoon, which I believe is set to debut later in 2018.

https://transformers.hasbro.com/en-us/brands/cyberverse

I wasn't a big fan of the previous cartoon (Robots in Disguise) but I'm digging the art style and the profiles of these guys.  They are very G1 inspired but also have some newer / not commonly used characters to keep things interesting.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Slipstream and Acid Storm omg!

Ok, I'm cool. I love that they kinda look like TF Animated meets G1. I hope there will be a Slipstream toy! I gave an arm and a leg to get the Takara Slipstream that was a Windblade retool with a new head. Love her but kids should be able to find my fave in stores :lol:

What I liked about RID was Strongarm's design. The new girls in this show look like they will all be retools of Windblade. And Windblade basically looks like a gynoid with wings.
At the very least Windy should be bigger. I loved the crazy size differences in TFA. Starscream making Optimus look small and all. It was so pleasing to have very little size shifting. Man, I miss TFA.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:39:00 PM by Zapper »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
I could be wrong, but I think Slipstream at least is in the same character design (and therefore toy mold maybe?) as Thundercracker and Acid Storm.  (Starscream has his own unique design.) 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

They are posed differently but it doesn't look like Slipstream has skinnier limbs than the other two or anything.  I thought that was pretty cool.  Interesting that Acid Storm is there instead of Skywarp.  Maybe they felt they had enough purple already?

Yeah, I didn't like the RID cartoon much but I did appreciate them giving us a female Transformer that wasn't in 'the slim build'.  (Although not so fond of her 'lipstick', ha ha ha.)

TFA was sooo good.  I really feel that was the best portrayal of Optimus Prime, because for once we got to see him on a hero's journey, from lowly repair bot to worthy leader, instead of him immediately being introduced as "This is Optimus Prime, THE BEST AUTOBOT OF ALL TIME."  If only TFA had gotten that final season!!  If only!

I'm digging the Cyberverse designs too.  Bumblebee in particular looks very cute compared to his last incarnation.  I did not like the RID aesthetic.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Ah you're right. So hopefully she'll be a big girl!
I still get to complain about girly retools because all girls have the same oval head with pointy chin and lipstick. I don't complain about seeker recolors because they have always been that way. But girl bots shouldn't always look like G1 Arcee, like a woman wearing a robot costume. I just don't buy a car turning into an hourglass shaped hottie  :lol:

They need to bring back lips for the guys! Another thing that made TFA Optimus great, ha!

Offline Stellaluna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
I like these designs just fine, but that's about as excited as I feel for this cartoon. Only just fine. Not super excited, but I don't have any fear that it'll be bad either. It sort of looks like G1, TFA and Rescue Bots were thrown in a blender. I'm happy to see Slipstream.

I enjoyed the previous RID show but I stopped watching after season 3. (Apparently there were more seasons than that?) I don't think this show will hold my interest any more than RID did, but I'm happy it exists. For me, TF Prime will always be the best cartoon so far, but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. TFA was also very good.

Oh, and I'm curious what they'll do with Grimlock. Do you think he'll do his standard "ME GRIMLOCK" speech or do you think he'll be like the more articulate RID Grimlock?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I like it. Its sleek.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Yes Acid Storm and Slipstream!  Also love the G1 look.  Blur and Prowl look great!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Oh, and I'm curious what they'll do with Grimlock. Do you think he'll do his standard "ME GRIMLOCK" speech or do you think he'll be like the more articulate RID Grimlock?

I think he'll be more like G1. They  released a recolored version of RID Grimlock because fans hated the green. I thought RID Grim was really cute, tho! I get tired of the caveman talk.

I hope the Micromachine guy will voice Blurr again :lol:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
Here's Grimlock's profile from the website:

So it sounds to me like he is almost in the mold of The Incredible Hulk . . . I think it's an interesting idea.

Anyone reading the IDW comics?  I am really sad they are rebooting their universe.  I am hoping so hard the reboot will be good, but I'm apprehensive.  Mostly because they have had so many shoe-horned in crossovers lately.  G.I. Joe! Rom the space knight! Visionaries!  It really annoys me and it makes for awkward story-telling.

Yeah, I agree that it's annoying when all the female TFs are stick-thin.  And also short, have you noticed that?  They're always short.

@Stellaluna  I love Transformers Prime, it's my favorite.  <3

@Zapper YES, TFA Optimus' luscious lips! :lol:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 04:20:26 PM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I want a slipstream toy.

Offline Stellaluna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
@Zapper - That would be so cool if they got John Moschitta for Blurr! He's a legend as far as commercials and voicework goes. And his story of how he picked up his special talent is quite interesting. I had the luck of meeting him at Botcon. He ran into my friend and me in the lobby and complimented the Tailgate costume we made. Also we talked about how neither one of us has figured out how to use smartphones yet. Super nice fella.

@LadyMoondancer - A Hulk complex for Grimlock would be a refreshing take, actually! I liked green RID Grimlock's character quite a bit, but I also understand fans wanting the original caveman voice. Doing two voices depending on altmode would be pretty cool.
And yeah, I've been reading the IDW comics for a while now. I still have some catching up to do with ex-RID and Till All Are One and there's a few mini-series I haven't read yet but for the most part I'm up to date with Lost Light. I'm actually glad they're starting fresh with the comics. I've felt for a while the both of the main titles have been suffering from serious season rot. (That's what it's called, yes? I've heard the term used for later Friendship Is Magic episodes and I can definitely see it here, too.)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
@Zapper - That would be so cool if they got John Moschitta for Blurr! He's a legend as far as commercials and voicework goes. And his story of how he picked up his special talent is quite interesting. I had the luck of meeting him at Botcon. He ran into my friend and me in the lobby and complimented the Tailgate costume we made. Also we talked about how neither one of us has figured out how to use smartphones yet. Super nice fella.

@LadyMoondancer - A Hulk complex for Grimlock would be a refreshing take, actually! I liked green RID Grimlock's character quite a bit, but I also understand fans wanting the original caveman voice. Doing two voices depending on altmode would be pretty cool.
And yeah, I've been reading the IDW comics for a while now. I still have some catching up to do with ex-RID and Till All Are One and there's a few mini-series I haven't read yet but for the most part I'm up to date with Lost Light. I'm actually glad they're starting fresh with the comics. I've felt for a while the both of the main titles have been suffering from serious season rot. (That's what it's called, yes? I've heard the term used for later Friendship Is Magic episodes and I can definitely see it here, too.)

That's cool that you got to meet him.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Yeah, I agree that it's annoying when all the female TFs are stick-thin.  And also short, have you noticed that?  They're always short.

That's why Windblade's size annoys me. She is a jet! There is no need for sexual dimorphism in a species that has no sex. And it's simply weird when a car guy is bigger than a jet lady. It's like the designers have Napoleon complex.

Whining about TFA again... I loved how the Cons had all those flyers because it made them look imposing. Megatron rightfully dwarved Optimus and it made him look more scary that way.

Another wish of mine: give Soundwave back his minions. I don't want a single Laserbeak drone, I want the brats and the cat. They don't have to be cassettes.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
Absolutely!  Rumble!  Frenzy!  (Rumbleisblue.)  Buzzsaw I guess!  (Sorry buddy, you were just never around much.)  RAVAGE!

And the TFA Cons were HUGE compared to the Autobots.  Starscream alone almost took out the team at one point.  It was great.

RID Grimlock seemed to me like a real wasted opportunity.  The backstory was: originally a Decepticon.  And I thought they were going to explore that at some point (like with Beast Wars Dinobot, another dinosaur side-switcher) but they never did.  Like, why even give him that backstory then?  Why not start him out as an Autobot?  They could have at least shown us how / why he became a Decepticon in a flashback.

John Moschitta for Blurr, yeeeessss, that would be awesome.

I'm just gonna post all the rest of the profiles for anyone who hasn't seen them yet.

I agree that sexual dimorphism in Transformers is silly.  There should be girls (because otherwise the implications is "boys are natural, girls are weird"--as the majority of Transformers are always going to be coded as male, like this is not an army of R2D2's here, they have male voices and junk)--but let some of them be tall and buff.  And let some of the dudes be slender and small.  I would love to see Rung on the cartoon someday.  Or a cartoon centered around the Lost Light in general.

The Autobots:

Spoiler

The Decepticons:

Spoiler

So we get some interesting tidbits from these:

* Optimus and Megatron used to be friends.

* Thundercracker's feelings of air superiority are lifted straight from his G1 backcard, which makes me wonder if they will use THE REST of his backcard personality?  Dun dun DUN!

* Instead of three Seekers including Starscream, we get Starscream + three other Seekers.

* HOT ROD!  It's been a while since we saw him as a major character in a cartoon.  I think it's nu Bumblebee's younger, more bubbly personality that makes him once again possible as the hot-headed youngster.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:03:33 AM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
I wonder why they cut out Skywarp. Maybe because he's too stupid :lol:
Still I am happy with the seekers because they all seem like characters who would give Starscream the finger if he got too bossy and that's always fun.

I think a "problem" with RID was that it was supposed to be for younger boys. Younger than Prime audience but older than Rescue Bots audience. So it never got too deep into the backstories and focused more on villain of the week and powering up with new toys.
I mean, I liked it for what it was. But it kinda went out like a fart and I will never be a fan of this shared universe stuff.
Nobody can tell me the wholesome cuties in Rescue Bots are the same as the crawling-in-my-skin Autobots in Prime.

I hope this series doesn't have humans. And if so, there should be a single human protagonist who shows them how to behave on Earth. Not one more. Not a trio of annoying teens like in Prime. Really, the only humans I can stand are the hero family in Rescue Bots. Because they are gosh darn adorable.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal