collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Opinion on Spike (Both G1, G3, and G4)  (Read 8986 times)

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
Opinion on Spike (Both G1, G3, and G4)
« on: July 03, 2018, 12:52:26 PM »
Hey everyone! As much as we love our ponies, I feel we need to shed some light on a certain purple dragon. Yes, I am talking about Spike! In G1, Spike was one of my favorite characters and I feel that no one talks about him that much. So here is a thread all about your thoughts on Spike! Thoughts on both G1 and G4 Spike is allowed...and I guess thoughts on G3 Spike is allowed too...even though I don't care for him much (but maybe one of you likes him and you can tell me why!)
G4 Spike is kind of meh for me. It's mostly his voice that gets to me, but other than that he's pretty okay. Much better than G3 Spike, lol.
So what are your opinions on Spike and which generation has your favorite Spike? Also how do you feel about the Spike toys that have been released in both G1 and G4? (I'm not counting the dragon from G2 because I don't think that counts as Spike) I like the G1 toy better because I feel it is more accurate to Spike (specifically the mail order one with the "cartoon eyes"). In G4 you either have Spike on all fours, or Spike on his hind legs BUT he has a tie on.

So what are your guy's opinions on Spike and his toys? Did you like him, did you hate him, do you even know who he is?

Also what do you guy's think about the G1 Princess attendants? Do you wish they could make a comeback in FiM, even as just a cameo? Do you like them better than Spike? I absolutely adore them, even if I get their personalities mixed up a couple times, and I wish they could make a little cameo appearance.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion on Spike (Both G1, G3, and G4)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 01:11:46 PM »
I wish the US princesses had come with dragons. My sister found g1 Spike at a flea market when she was maybe 5 at the oldest and it's one of few MLP toys she isn't purging. He was adorable but I didn't care for his voice. G3 Spike wasn't too bad imo. I'd probably get a toy of him if they made one and it was common. I like g4 Spike just as much as the next guy. Hopefully I'll come across either gen Spike toy at a yard sale or flea market.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 01:18:52 PM »
I wish the US princesses had come with dragons. My sister found g1 Spike at a flea market when she was maybe 5 at the oldest and it's one of few MLP toys she isn't purging. He was adorable but I didn't care for his voice. G3 Spike wasn't too bad imo. I'd probably get a toy of him if they made one and it was common. I like g4 Spike just as much as the next guy. Hopefully I'll come across either gen Spike toy at a yard sale or flea market.

Yeah I agree with the US Princesses coming with dragons. I get that they had the bushwoolies because of the cartoon, but I feel like it would've been just cheaper for them to make the dragons anyways because they already had the spike mold made. They had to make a whole new mold for the bushwoolies! But I still like the bushwoolies, even if they aren't as cool as the dragons

Mimic drawn by me~

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 01:24:47 PM »
I wish the US princesses had come with dragons.

If that meant giving up bushwoolie figures, then no. I'm glad they made bushwoolies. If only Moochick had gotten one as well. And Danny! He would have been the perfect human companion for one of the adventure boys.

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 01:28:19 PM »

If that meant giving up bushwoolie figures, then no. I'm glad they made bushwoolies. If only Moochick had gotten one as well. And Danny! He would have been the perfect human companion for one of the adventure boys.

A special boy pack with Danny, Spike, and a Big Brother Pony or a younger boy like Clipper or Lucky, or even a specially made pony for the pack?

Mimic drawn by me~

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »
I like G1 Spike. G3 Spike doesn't bother me, even though he looks like he'd fit in with Dragon Tails then MLP. G4 Spike is pitiable because they treat him badly.

Post Merge: July 03, 2018, 01:37:58 PM

Why would it have meant that? We could have had the Dragons with the second set and every country that got the dragons with the first set could have gotten the bushwoolies with the second set.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:37:58 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 01:38:12 PM »

A special boy pack with Danny, Spike, and a Big Brother Pony or a younger boy like Clipper or Lucky, or even a specially made pony for the pack?
That would have been cool!

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »
I LOVE G1 SPIKE! LOVE LOVE LOVE! I love his voice in the cartoon and EVEN WHEN HE SINGS! YES I love him singing =P

ALSO I got to have his voice actor sign my tv show production sheet and gave him a copy of Spike's character sheet from the Writer's Guide! I hope he really kept it XD I'd show pictures on here but I don't have them on my photobucket account X.x but I have pictures on my Instagram of it =D

Anyway I try to get as much merch with him on it like I do Danny and Surprise, because in my head cannon they are a trio! Best friends forever! I LOVE the G1 Spike's Search and I try to sing the song like him and Weston when I watch the episode.... Then I started thinking of the four of them hanging out (Danny, Surprise, Spike and Weston) and I COULD GO ON AND ON but I won't ^.~

I have a small Spike army as well and even the Bushwoolies...

but yes G1 SPIKE ALL THE WAY!

I'm not sure about G3 Spike because I haven't watched that movie with him in it D=

And I'm not too keen on G4 Spike, I still collect G4 Spike stuff, because how can I not, it's SPIKE, but other than that I only love the old Spike XD

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 01:48:08 PM »
Generation 1 Spike will always be my favourite, don't care about G3 (we only had one or two episodes here in the U.K on TV, but it was taken off air because it wasn't popular). G4 Spike meh, like the voice actor but hate the character.

As for toys, I'm hoping to find a lit if G1 Spikes so I can do the dragon companions of the Princess Ponies; because they're too expensive on eBay.uk

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 01:54:14 PM »
I wasn't aware of G3 being aired anywhere. I only saw G3 as bonus videos with toys and straight-to-DVD movies.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 02:09:03 PM »
I loooove G1 Spike :heart: He's such a cutie. I like his voice, too. Haven't seen a lot of G3 (yet.. I keep meaning to) so I don't really have an opinion on G3 Spike as I've only seen about 2 minutes of him XDD G4 Spike.. I find his voice irritating. Can't say I'm a fan.

The princess dragons are just precious, I wish they weren't so rare. I prefer the MO Spike eyes to the other version, too.

ALSO I got to have his voice actor sign my tv show production sheet and gave him a copy of Spike's character sheet from the Writer's Guide! I hope he really kept it XD I'd show pictures on here but I don't have them on my photobucket account X.x but I have pictures on my Instagram of it =D

omg lucky!! :O I'm jealous!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 02:16:44 PM »
I LOVE G1 SPIKE! LOVE LOVE LOVE! I love his voice in the cartoon and EVEN WHEN HE SINGS! YES I love him singing =P

Anyway I try to get as much merch with him on it like I do Danny and Surprise, because in my head cannon they are a trio! Best friends forever! I LOVE the G1 Spike's Search and I try to sing the song like him and Weston when I watch the episode.... Then I started thinking of the four of them hanging out (Danny, Surprise, Spike and Weston) and I COULD GO ON AND ON but I won't ^.~

I have a small Spike army as well and even the Bushwoolies...

but yes G1 SPIKE ALL THE WAY!

I'm not sure about G3 Spike because I haven't watched that movie with him in it D=

And I'm not too keen on G4 Spike, I still collect G4 Spike stuff, because how can I not, it's SPIKE, but other than that I only love the old Spike XD

Are you serious? That's awesome!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 02:55:59 PM »
I like G1 Spike. G3 Spike doesn't bother me, even though he looks like he'd fit in with Dragon Tails then MLP. G4 Spike is pitiable because they treat him badly.

Post Merge: July 03, 2018, 01:37:58 PM

Why would it have meant that? We could have had the Dragons with the second set and every country that got the dragons with the first set could have gotten the bushwoolies with the second set.

Except we didn't get the second set :/ We just got the first set for 2 years.
We did get a few Bushwoolies in the weird variant princess releases though that doesn't really count.

If I had to choose, though, I'd take dragons - but only because the comic characterised them so beautifully. The Bushwoolies are really cute but I had much less connection to the show. I think the only episode I had as a kid was the treasure hunt one. They are very sweet in that, but I think it a shame they didn't have distinct personalities. I think the same about the princesses in the US cartoon, though, so I guess it fitted...

In terms of Spike, I quite liked him in the comic, constantly getting up to mischief with his best friend Baby Lucky, who constantly used magic by accident and got them both into trouble. He was also instrumental in the Paws & Claws club I think.

I am not really bothered about him in the cartoon, again I think because the only ep I remember seeing as a kid which had him in was the wouldbe dragonslayer and I didn't like it. I was a kid who went to Wales every holiday and loved the Welsh dragon on the flag. I also hated that the English patron saint was a dragon-slayer, so yeah, not a fan of the episode and thus didn't get much chance to review Spike till later.

I find G3 Spike weird.

I have only seen odd episodes from G4 but aside from seeing Spike as a very advanced fax machine, there is one aspect I do like - there's that one episode where he gets really greedy and grows and becomes a pretty bad dragon. It was kind of a nice character touch that as a baby dragon, he was more than just Twilight's doormat.

But I will always like the Princess dragons best.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 03:21:14 PM »
I love Spike in all forms. I didn't even know there was a G3 Spike until just now... and I went to see on Youtube...and he is also quite charming. I love characters that transcend the eras. G1 Spike was so level-headed and likeable.

G4 Spike is a great character in contrast to the mane 6 and I really loved the episode where he has to go back home and do the dragon challenge. I think that the dragons are one of the only non-pony species in G4 I actually like. 

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 03:53:49 PM »
I love Spike in all forms. I didn't even know there was a G3 Spike until just now... and I went to see on Youtube...and he is also quite charming. I love characters that transcend the eras. G1 Spike was so level-headed and likeable.

G4 Spike is a great character in contrast to the mane 6 and I really loved the episode where he has to go back home and do the dragon challenge. I think that the dragons are one of the only non-pony species in G4 I actually like.

Yeah I agree most with what you said about G4 Spike, I just really wish they'd treat him better. Fluttershy gets 10,000,000 episodes about her learning not to be a doormat over and over again and Spike doesn't even get one. Yeah Yeah, I know it's comedic but it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I'm glad they don't do it much anymore and I wish he'd just stay in the Crystal Empire since they treat him better there anyway...

Mimic drawn by me~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal