collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Opinion on Spike (Both G1, G3, and G4)  (Read 9102 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Opinion on Spike (Both G1, G3, and G4)
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2018, 03:39:40 PM »
Eric Raymond as the man selling rainbow-colored wigs in New York . . . Headcanon accepted. :lol:
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2018, 05:47:13 PM »
I could have done without Spike in any of the generations.  I mean, yes, baby dragon, adorable, but... if you didn't have Dream Castle, you didn't have Spike.  If you had never seen the  RAMC movie, you didn't care about Spike.

I am envious of the UK Princesses who got dragons - they were SO CUTE.

Dragon playset, why isn't there one?  LOL  I want the ponies to find the land of baby dragons.

Imagine a dragon playset that came with a bunch of baby dragons and one big dragon for all the babies to ride on. The baby ponies could also fit on it too. For some reason I see it as like he'd be sitting down on all fours (similar to a dog) and his wings would be flared up, acting like a siding so the baby dragons wouldn't fall off. Perhaps Megan or Molly could've rode on him too....
If only it existed  :drool:

Bring me a soft and fluffy Falcor playset anytime... though that is Neverending Story LOL
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2018, 05:54:21 PM »
I could have done without Spike in any of the generations.  I mean, yes, baby dragon, adorable, but... if you didn't have Dream Castle, you didn't have Spike.  If you had never seen the  RAMC movie, you didn't care about Spike.

I am envious of the UK Princesses who got dragons - they were SO CUTE.

Dragon playset, why isn't there one?  LOL  I want the ponies to find the land of baby dragons.

Imagine a dragon playset that came with a bunch of baby dragons and one big dragon for all the babies to ride on. The baby ponies could also fit on it too. For some reason I see it as like he'd be sitting down on all fours (similar to a dog) and his wings would be flared up, acting like a siding so the baby dragons wouldn't fall off. Perhaps Megan or Molly could've rode on him too....
If only it existed  :drool:

Bring me a soft and fluffy Falcor playset anytime... though that is Neverending Story LOL

I love Falcor.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2018, 02:37:05 PM »
Eric Raymond as the man selling rainbow-colored wigs in New York . . . Headcanon accepted. :lol:

:D

I am actually glad they didn't make a dragon playset. But I guess I feel like the princesses had dragons and that made them special. Only royal ponies had dragons, so a dragon playset kind of undermines that.

But I do get why there'd be enthusiasm for it across the pond. I know I'm speaking with dragon privelege here - I just like that they only belong with the princesses and Majesty.

Unless you mean for a different gen of course :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CactusBloom

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Formerly leafcascade
    • View Profile
    • My Pony Blog - rileyspones
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2018, 03:18:14 PM »
I love G1 Spike! His voice is adorable.

I also adore G4 Spike! I feel like he gets the short end of the stick both from the ponies and from the writers. But I love his voice as well and think he is so great! In fact I plan on cosplaying him eventually!

I don't know enough about G3 Spike to have an opinion but I'm sure I love him too.
Formerly known as leafcascade
Hope you have a wonderful day!

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2018, 05:41:31 PM »

:D

I am actually glad they didn't make a dragon playset. But I guess I feel like the princesses had dragons and that made them special. Only royal ponies had dragons, so a dragon playset kind of undermines that.

But I do get why there'd be enthusiasm for it across the pond. I know I'm speaking with dragon privelege here - I just like that they only belong with the princesses and Majesty.

Unless you mean for a different gen of course :)

I think a dragon playset would've helped grab in some more boy audience, and of course a wider audience means more green ;)
But I think if they made a bit more varied molds that would be cool. Then the princess/queen (I believe Majesty was a queen) would have their special dragons and then their would just be other types of dragons. They wouldn't have to go with any pony but in case you wanted to pretend one of your ponies was a princess but the only dragon available in your country was Spike :P
Of course in a perfect world, the dragons would've been sold everywhere, so then there wouldn't be such a dragon craving over here.
Also for some reason, the idea of the MLP line branching out into a bit more of a dragon line makes me think of possibilities for dragon wear for some reason.
I feel like it'd also be good for some girls because a lot of the dragons at the time were aimed at boys so they weren't as cute. The closest thing I can think of to fit the cute dragon role is Pocket Dragons, and I'm not sure they were exactly the most durable toys (although correct me if I'm wrong).

Now I'm getting way too many ideas for dragons! An MLP dragon spin-off line would've been fun, but I get how you feel the dragons should be special to only the princess ponies.

But my mind keeps going back to my weird big dragon idea...and then to dragon wear...and then to a whole abundance of different dragon body types...
The dragons keep sucking me in I think XD

And now I've thought of brush and grow dragons. Finally, a dragon with a mullet!

Okay I think I need to stop for now. But one day maybe a different generation can carry out my weird dragon ideas  :lookround: even a dragon mullet

EDIT: I think Pocket Dragons actually came out around late 90's. Soooo yeeeah kind of a long wait for some dragons but if you really wanted them I think someone could wait long enough
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 06:05:12 PM by WaterDraw »

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2018, 01:15:42 AM »
I think you're right about Pocket dragons. I have one...I think it came from a carboot sale with a bunch of other stuff, so that would've been some time in the mid-late 1990s probably. They were cute.

I totally get how you dragon deprived people feel about this. I am not sure in the eighties Hasbro cared about snaring the male audience for MLP, though - they already had their ideas about how to market their toys and even if boys did like MLP and girls did like Transformers, the MLP Mummy commercials kind of forced the "girly girly girl toy" issue (even if I don't really believe MLP is that girly in contrast to other toys at the time).

I just like the dragons how they are. And I do think it sucks that you guys missed out on them, but I think the reality is Hasbro UK did that for cheapness, because it meant they could just reuse the Spike mould rather than dealing with the Bushwoolie one. So ironically I think it was corner cutting in the first instance. But they were a hit and the comics made so much of them, I kind of can't imagine having other dragons.

Of course, maybe I'm too cynical. There are a lot of stories about dragons in UK tradition, especially Welsh of course, given the dragon on the flag...so maybe dragons resonated more? I am not sure. We didn't really have a push on the animation but if it had been bushwoolies, the comic could have written them in so it wouldn't have been a problem.

And to put it in balance, you guys had two sets of Princess ponies. We only had one. ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2018, 05:38:32 AM »
Unpopular opinion: My Little Pony Live Spike is the best Spike

Evidence: https://youtu.be/zc8wLVYnWsg?t=28m4s

:lmao:

Haha! I was about to post this but forgot. That's why G3 Spike has no competition. He's too fresh.

Doesn't he, though?

Let the rap battle commence!

I can see it now, an epic clash of generations brought forth by a time travel accident. The Spikes face off, each one of them bringing their own pony DJ. The pony DJs compliment each other's shades while the dragons dish out the disses.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2018, 05:55:59 AM »
-shrug- Why should the princesses (and Majesty) have all the fun? Dragons for everyone, I say! I think a dragon playset sounds lovely ^_^ I wish they'd done something like that.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2018, 06:50:50 AM »
A dragon playset sounds like a great idea!  There can be tons of dragons and--

Nevermind.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2018, 06:59:54 AM »
Well now I believe there is an Arena member who re-casts the dragons in resin.  So now we all can have all that we want!  :-p

and EGADS that knockoff Spike is terrifying.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2018, 07:17:26 AM »
Unpopular opinion: My Little Pony Live Spike is the best Spike

Evidence: https://youtu.be/zc8wLVYnWsg?t=28m4s

:lmao:

Haha! I was about to post this but forgot. That's why G3 Spike has no competition. He's too fresh.

Doesn't he, though?

Let the rap battle commence!

I can see it now, an epic clash of generations brought forth by a time travel accident. The Spikes face off, each one of them bringing their own pony DJ. The pony DJs compliment each other's shades while the dragons dish out the disses.

Love it!  :iconclap:

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
Well now I believe there is an Arena member who re-casts the dragons in resin.  So now we all can have all that we want!  :-p

HQG1C make dragons now as well, I believe - glittery ones but I guess they can be painted?

I just think if you overcook something it then loses its lustre. Too many dragons cheapens the whole dragon thing. There's only so much you can do with the same theme...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »

HQG1C make dragons now as well, I believe - glittery ones but I guess they can be painted?

I just think if you overcook something it then loses its lustre. Too many dragons cheapens the whole dragon thing. There's only so much you can do with the same theme...

Only because of your dragon privilege.  :razz:

I want the hqg1c dragons!  :choc:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2018, 01:37:42 PM »
A dragon playset sounds like a great idea!  There can be tons of dragons and--

Nevermind.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal