collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Opinion on Spike (Both G1, G3, and G4)  (Read 8981 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion on Spike (Both G1, G3, and G4)
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 04:24:23 PM »
what's wrong with g4 Spike's voice? I think it sounds the most normal out of all of them. g1's is too nasally, and g3's is too stuck up/ stuffy British accent imitation.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »
I like both G1 and G4 Spike.  G3 Spike . . . I'm not so fond of.  He just seems more bland to me, and pretty annoying.

People seem to complain about G4 Spike a lot, or feel he gets mistreated.  Personally I don't feel that way.  I like him and I think he's typically treated like the little brother he basically is.  He's also a great homage to G1 Spike, and I like some aspects of his design even more than G1 (like his scales going up his belly to his mouth, I really dig that look.

Character-wise . . . he's basically the exact same character in both gens except G4 Spike tends to be a bit more sarcastic.

As a kid what I remember most about Spike is that he came with Dream Castle.  Since I wanted Dream Castle, of course I wanted Spike!  I don't have a lot of clear memories of the G1 cartoon so I didn't really have any impression of him from that.

Having finally gotten the toy, as an adult, all I can say is the mold is adorable but I MUCH prefer his mail order version with the 'cartoon' eyes over the version that actually came with Dream Castle.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 08:03:02 PM »
what's wrong with g4 Spike's voice? I think it sounds the most normal out of all of them. g1's is too nasally, and g3's is too stuck up/ stuffy British accent imitation.

In my opinion, his voice is too annoying. It's hard so describe it. Maybe it's because it sounds too much like a girl (and I know he's played by a girl but I still feel he should be played by a boy if the girl still sounds like a girl), or maybe it's just the tone he has. It's hard to exactly place my finger on it.
Another thing is I don't feel like it's distinct enough from the other ponies. In G1, you know that his voice could never belong to a pony (even a Big Brother pony), it was just so different from the pony voices who had just normal voices. In G4 it feels like his voice could belong to a pony, so it takes a bit out of it for me. But that's just me being picky.

I don't care for G3 Spike's voice either.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:25:37 AM by WaterDraw »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 01:34:04 AM »

As a British person I have to object to this.
G3 Spike doesn't sound remotely like even an imitation of anything British. His voice is overenuniciated American, that's all. You can tell that by how he pronounces his consonants.

I've heard a lot of bad attempts in cartoons at "British", all of which sound horrible, but this isn't one of those times.

I also want to (again) smash the stereotype that there is a collective British accent and that it is any way stuck up/posh/whatever. Aside the fact that the accents from Wales, Scotland, England and Northern Ireland are distinct, each country also has many regional dialects/accents as well.

It really annoys me when people assume that something is a 'British' accent, but even more when they assume it's 'British' because it sounds posh.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 06:22:05 AM »

G1 Spike is essentially proto Buster Bunny. Nothing wrong with it. I like Spike and Buster. If you want Charles Adler nasally, then listen to Tech Rat.

G3 sounds the most normal to me. Pleasant, mild, warm.

G4's sounds like a little girl who is congested.

Post Merge: July 04, 2018, 06:26:47 AM

I like both G1 and G4 Spike.  G3 Spike . . . I'm not so fond of.  He just seems more bland to me, and pretty annoying.

People seem to complain about G4 Spike a lot, or feel he gets mistreated.  Personally I don't feel that way.  I like him and I think he's typically treated like the little brother he basically is.  He's also a great homage to G1 Spike, and I like some aspects of his design even more than G1 (like his scales going up his belly to his mouth, I really dig that look.

Character-wise . . . he's basically the exact same character in both gens except G4 Spike tends to be a bit more sarcastic.

As a kid what I remember most about Spike is that he came with Dream Castle.  Since I wanted Dream Castle, of course I wanted Spike!  I don't have a lot of clear memories of the G1 cartoon so I didn't really have any impression of him from that.

Having finally gotten the toy, as an adult, all I can say is the mold is adorable but I MUCH prefer his mail order version with the 'cartoon' eyes over the version that actually came with Dream Castle.

I didn't know there was a variation of Spike?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 06:29:04 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 09:57:17 AM »
Yeah, there's the Dream Castle version of him which has slit eyes and then a rarer mail order version that has rounded eyes.  The UK Princess ponies' dragons have the same cartoon eyes as mail order Spike.

Regular Dream Castle Spike:

Mail order version:

Edit:  Technically there are two Dream Castle versions of Spike, one that came with pink Dream Castle and a darker purple one that came with lavender Dream Castle.  I think the one pictured above came with lavender Dream Castle.  Pink Dream Castle version had a body color similar to the mail order--a paler and duskier purple.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 10:00:23 AM »
G3 Spike sounds like how a lot of Americans on tv sounded in the 50s and 60s, especially business people.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 10:11:11 AM »
Oh he's cute!

Post Merge: July 04, 2018, 10:11:35 AM

G3 Spike sounds like how a lot of Americans on tv sounded in the 50s and 60s, especially business people.

Trans-Atlantic?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »
Yeah, there's the Dream Castle version of him which has slit eyes and then a rarer mail order version that has rounded eyes.  The UK Princess ponies' dragons have the same cartoon eyes as mail order Spike.

Regular Dream Castle Spike:

Mail order version:

Edit:  Technically there are two Dream Castle versions of Spike, one that came with pink Dream Castle and a darker purple one that came with lavender Dream Castle.  I think the one pictured above came with lavender Dream Castle.  Pink Dream Castle version had a body color similar to the mail order--a paler and duskier purple.

And yet, in both versions neither has show-accurate eye color  :P
But I don't mind much, green eyes look better on him anyway, and ponies had different colors from their toy selves all the time...*cough* Whizzer with red in her hair *cough*

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 11:14:21 AM »

Really? Interesting. Whatever he sounds like, it's not British. Not even trying to be. Not even close.

I never knew the difference between the purple castle Spike and the MO one as I have only seen one of them once at ponycon, I've never had one or tried to get one. Interesting :) One of those extras that I decided not to pursue because yeesh, expensive. Princess dragons all turned up at carboot sales for 5 or 10p or with princess ponies/accessories, but the price of large eyed spike on ebay is hugely prohibitive for this English girl.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 11:20:23 AM »
If anyone is looking for the G3 specials featuring Spike. Netflix has some of them (Princess Promanade, Runaway Rainbow etc)

I think my favorite out of all the Spikes is G1 Spike. I think his voice suits his character and he’s sometimes the only one that can see the logical/illogical side of the situation, like that scene when Megan suggests that singing when they’re dying of thirst in the jewel desert will help them feel better and after the song Spike says “Now we’re tired and thirsty!” :lol:
while everyone else just keeps going.

I also like that when we first see him  in at Rescue from Midnight Castle it’s easy to assume that he is going to be a villain but we soon see that he and Scorpan don’t like Tirac’s tactics and Scorpan does what he can to try to protect Spike from Tirac’s anger. I also like that Spike is the only creature besides Baby Ember that wasn’t tranformed in someway by the Rainbow of Darkness. Was Spike too small to be useful or was Tirac keeping Spike as he was to make sure Scorpan followed his orders?

G3 Spike is my least favorite Spike. I think Hasbro was trying to make G3 Spike a character with vast knowledge that the poines could come to when they had trouble figuring out something (like when G3 Rarity showed up suddenly) but  for some reason it feels a little off. Maybe because we don’t see Spike interacting with the poines as much?

I like G4 Spike but not as much as G1 I agree with LadyMoondancer that the poines treat G4 Spike like a baby brother. I love when Spike puts his reputation on the line to stand up for Thorax. And when Luna is ruling the kingdom and he says Princess Celestia should be the ruler. I think he’s closest to Twilight since he’s been with her since he hatched but he really cares for all the ponies.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 01:01:54 PM »
I think G1 Spike's voice suited him very well, but on the whole I do prefer G4 Spike's voice.

G1 Spike's voice is . . . Well, I like it when I like it, but some days I'm like, "Listen Charlie Adler, I love you but please go voice some Transformers now."  (Partly depends how much screentime Spike is getting in an episode.)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2018, 03:35:19 PM »
I loved Midnight Castle Spike, so sweet and innocent.  G1 cartoon series Spike, though basically the same, had some personality traits I found annoying.  I like that G4 Spike's colors are a nod to his G1 beginnings.  Wasn't that G3 thing blue? 

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2018, 04:36:47 PM »
The thing that's always bothered me about G4 Spike is (correct me if I'm wrong here, it's been years since I watched FiM) he's gifted as an egg/newly hatched baby to a young Twilight.  Presumably despite knowing that he'll grow up into a sentient creature?  He's not a pet; where are the other dragons and why did Ponies come into possession of him as an egg?  Did they really think giving him to a young pony to raise was the best outcome? o_O;

At least G1 Spike (presumably) chose to stay with the Ponies because they treated him better than Tirac, though you'd think he'd have gone with his buddy Scorpan instead...
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2018, 04:49:55 PM »
Duuuude, it gets worse if you read this one FIM comic (which I want to say was a Humble Bundle exclusive) where it was like "Hey guys, here's an explanation for why Twilight Sparkle couldn't make any friends at school:  too busy taking care of an infant dragon while trying to also keep up with her schoolwork!"

I'm normally a big fan of the G4 comics, but this one I was like "Oh my God.  You realize this makes Princess Celestia, Twilight's parents, and basically every adult she comes across seem horrible, right?"

I don't remember how this is addressed in the show, or if it is.  The show does have slightly different canon than the comics.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal