collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What's the BIG deal? Biggest G1 Plush (Fan OR Official) Why not?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What's the BIG deal? Biggest G1 Plush (Fan OR Official) Why not?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 12:08:59 AM »
I love your plushes Pinkkittywinks!!! :heart:

I do wonder if some of it boils down to popularity/how closely people connect with the characters. G1s only got limited characterization (since the show was more like a commercial for toys), and a LOT fewer seasons! (Plus, the era made it harder to connect with other fans/share your enjoyment of the franchise). G1 collectors tend to be more like 'I love this design/type of pony, it fits my aesthetic/makes me nostalgic', whereas G4 is more 'I love Pinkie Pie because her personality is so fun! I'd love to have her as a friend!', at least in my estimation. So if you think of who you want to snuggle up with/devote a lot of your space to, is it the thing you connect with on an aesthetic or on an emotional level?

Also, the relative ages of the collector groups; younger folks have more disposible income/fewer big debts to pay off!

Just my two cents though!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 03:18:19 PM »
OMG PKW, those giant plushies are AMAZING!! :heart: I'm in awe of your skills *_*

I used to have most of the giant G3 plushes.  We used them as a reindeer/sleigh display for a winter-themed ponymeet:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 03:20:47 PM »
I'm not sure if the giant Cupcake in this commercial is a huge plush or if they just made it look like the little girl was sitting on a Cupcake pony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TnZoUT31Vo

There used to be a video on YouTube posted by someone that claimed they owned one of the giant carousel ponies in the Drink n Wet pony commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F-CJJYg2EM

Ponyfan

The Cupcake in that first commercial is the toy, they overlaid the video to make it look like the child is sitting on her, same as how they got the other kid to 'sit' in the Paradise Estate furniture.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 03:23:51 PM »

I do wonder if some of it boils down to popularity/how closely people connect with the characters. G1s only got limited characterization

I would dispute this only on the level of my own experiences here in the UK. I agree the show is peripheral in defining characters  because it covers so few and lasted such a short time, but while I was interested in MLP before there was a comic, it was when the comic came out that I became really hooked and the comic dictated a lot of my favourite ponies because of how their stories were written (even though I never played out any comic scenarios, which is a bit weird I guess?). And there were also the story cassettes (lots of those), story books, and the backcard stories as well, so I wouldn't say limited exactly. But there is only one canon in G4 really. There are many in G1 which leads to diversity in the fandom's interpretation. The toys are the common ground connecting all these characterisations, whereas in G4 the common ground is the show.

I think it's more about what Hasbro channelled their energy into. What you said about the limited connection between fan groups across the world is probably a big deal in this too. Fan plush not really a thing in the eighties unless it was made by someone for a specific kid (not done on commission like now and shipped all over).

I would say I was attracted to the characters I read about but I attached that affection to the actual ponies. I never had any plush ponies nor wanted any so *shrug*. The comic was just as much about selling the toys, of course...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 03:25:26 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 04:59:15 PM »
Ashlynne, that is adorable! PKW those are precious!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 11:42:25 PM »
I agree with Taffieta that G1 fans still had a lot to work with when it came to character realization.  I loved the backcard stories so much more than the show.  Plus, I had my own imagination to work with.  Ponies were so much more than pretty objects to me.  I had a real affection for them.

And even G4 characters that had hardly any screen time at all still have a fan following and fan plushies.

Star Wars also had a huge following after just one movie and all the background characters were doted on by someone.  Transformers only had a few episodes at first but its following was huge.  I think part of that was because options were pretty limited so we were all watching the same shows.

But as Taffeta said, the ability of independent artists to sell to those fans was limited.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2018, 03:24:55 PM »
Another point to bear in mind is availability of equipment and supplies.

Back in the 80's, specialty fabric was prohibitively expensive and the types you had access to as a consumer were limited compared to now.  There were not a lot of good choices for making plush.  The only 'common' plush fabric was fun fur (does this have an official name?); a sort of low quality, fairly long (1-2cm) synthetic fibre on a woven backing that was used for halloween costumes and such.  Or you had clothing fabrics, or felt.   Computer assisted embroidery machines were not a thing.  Stuff like eyes and symbols had to be done with piece-work or hand embroidery most of the time unless you had a fancy machine that could do satin stitching. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 03:38:43 PM »
We all know that bigger is better!

Maybe the prominence with Build a Bear plushies has made people want big?

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal