collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What's the BIG deal? Biggest G1 Plush (Fan OR Official) Why not?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
With the popularity of G4, I noticed something 'new' to the pony fandom: BIG plush.
Like, giant ones. Fan done, of course...but it made me wonder why huge plush seems to be a G4 only phenomenon.

Like in the years of G1 you never saw someone coming up with a riding size Sweet Pop or  a 3 foot high SS WindWhistler or something. Is it because the G4 ponies themselves are so small & the collectors just feel they have a lot of room to hog via a huge version of their favorite character? Is it because they still had room in their pony-rooms unlike G1 fans? (mine's jammed...)

G3, of course, had the largest official plushes for sale with that Frilly Frocks offer. But who was the biggest G1 plush? Does anybody have photos?

What's the biggest pony plush (of any gen) that you have a photo of?
WOULD large size G1 plushes be a good idea*? Would you like to be able to buy one?
WOULD you get like a 2 foot high, 3 foot high or 4 foot high G1? A "Life Size" newborn pony?

*Providing they actually looked good / looked like a pony...of course. Lots of people don't collect the original G1 combing plushes because they don't look 'pony' enough--and I've claimed many times how I wouldn't buy an official G4 plush (YET) because fan offerings are always soooooo much better. Companies are fully able to do a good job with plush it's just that Hasbro doesn't care. The fans don't have some "magic pattern machine" they just try harder--and I'm not talking about the super detailed expensive embroidery, TAF designs, hair fades, or sculpted hair that would be rough at a factory (an unfair comparison), I'm talking about basic body forms & face shapes that are just excellent = looks like the show.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
Re: What's the BIG deal? Biggest G1 Plush (Fan OR Official) Why not?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 09:23:54 PM »
I know I've seen some huge G1 plushies from this community in the past, so hopefully those people speak up and share their pictures. xD

I seem to remember someone also doing a life sized "soft sleepy newborn" pony (i think thats what they were called at least) but it was not a plushy. 
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 09:27:32 PM »
Having a huge plush seems like so much fun, but I know my cats would just sit on it and cover it in cat hair!  :P

Does anyone else remember the huge, official Care Bears plushes from the 80s?  Not the regular ones, but like . . . a Tenderheart Bear larger than a child.  I was always very impressed seeing them in the Sears Wishbook, but I never knew anyone who had one.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 09:43:30 AM »
I have seen some giant G1 plushes ages ago.   But a lot of that happened before the internet and ponies were not a high priority for adults at the time.  If grandma made a pony for their granddaughter, it wasn't going to be shared with the world on instagram.

My guess as to why it isn't more popular is because Bronies want their toys and merch to look like the tv show and G1 fans want their shows and all other merch look like the toy.  I think it's going to be harder to get a giant plushie to look like the G1 plastic pony with brush-able manes and tails.  Possible, but also really expensive and time consuming.  I know I would be really picky about getting the curves of the face just right.  In this case, I think the G4 animation style lends itself better to plushies.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 10:26:54 AM »
I think it would be nice to see pictures of giant g1 plush or even see it in person, but I wouldn't want one personally since it would take up so much space. And eventually all these giant plushes will end up in landfills being a big wad of materials. (Of course so will all other toys, I just wouldn't go out of the way to make more of it if that makes sense)

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 02:11:51 PM »
I've seen a couple of big (fan-made) G1 plushies before; I remember a pretty big Glory.. can't remember where I saw it now.. hmm

I think one reason why giant fan-made plushies are probably more of a "brony" thing are, those things are *expensive* :p Bronies are more liable to drop money on stuff like that, whereas I think us pre-G4 fans would prefer to spend money like that on a Nirvana (or not at all). That's just my opinion, though, of course.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 08:07:37 PM »
I've got crazy space issues, so no life size plushes for me!  I didn't even order the Frilly Frocks when I had a chance due to not having anywhere to put it.

I think the whole fan made plush pony really went crazy when the G4s came out.  I don't remember plushes ever being nearly as popular for any other generation. 

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 12:46:34 AM »
I'm not sure it counts as a plush but I remember someone having that huge Sundance...

The biggest official G1 plushes are probably the pyjama cases from Telitoy over here.

But I agree that giant plushes are more synonymous with a collecting community whose priority is merch than the actual ponies/brushables.

I've never seen a giant fan made G1 plush in the line of some of the big G4 ones. But this thread does remind me of the large Pinkie Pie that someone dropped £500ish on at Ponycon. I don't think most G1 fans would do that, as Carrehz said.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 01:28:38 PM »
I'm not sure if the giant Cupcake in this commercial is a huge plush or if they just made it look like the little girl was sitting on a Cupcake pony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TnZoUT31Vo

There used to be a video on YouTube posted by someone that claimed they owned one of the giant carousel ponies in the Drink n Wet pony commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F-CJJYg2EM

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 12:10:26 PM »
I'm not sure it counts as a plush but I remember someone having that huge Sundance...

Drusilla has that giant Sundance. I think it was an advertising prop, theres supposedly a BBE baby Sundance too, and probably others! I feel like those count
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 12:58:54 PM »
I'm not sure if the giant Cupcake in this commercial is a huge plush or if they just made it look like the little girl was sitting on a Cupcake pony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TnZoUT31Vo

There used to be a video on YouTube posted by someone that claimed they owned one of the giant carousel ponies in the Drink n Wet pony commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F-CJJYg2EM

Ponyfan

I think that first commercial used a green-screen ;)   Not real.

MustBeJewel has one or two of those carousel sweetheart sisters :)  They're not plush -- but they're gorgeous!

I used to have most of the giant G3 plushes.  We used them as a reindeer/sleigh display for a winter-themed ponymeet:

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 02:27:07 PM »
I have just downloaded that picture for no reason whatsoever lol

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »
i believe the biggest G1 plushies were the pj cases, Bow tie, Cotton Candy and Trickles

I wanted to share with you pictures of several giant Frilly Frocks size plushies I made using Rosesare pattern.

G3 Starcatcher, commissioned by Elaine.

G3 OC Princess, commissioned by Miss Gina (the pony is unfilled as she is being shipped that way)

G3 Minty, commissioned by gentleheartlamb (the pony is unfilled as she is being shipped that way)

G1 Minty: commissioned by savetheponies for her daughter littlestsavetheponies for her birthday.

G3 Waterfire: Commissioned by Strawberry Meadow, Archer, Moose, Reaperfox, Tinrobo and NearlyHeadlessNayy for Waterfire's wedding gift.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »
 THAT MINTY!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 06:45:10 PM »
WOW PKW!!! Those are truly amazing.
Really has me thinkin.... I do love a good challenging sewing activity lol I fear the faces would come out too strange though if I attempted them with out some tested pattern
Back after at least 4 years away!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal