collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: SDCC 2018 Exclusives Revealed  (Read 21167 times)

Offline Kikwifluff

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Bait ponies need love too!
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC 2018 Exclusives Revealed
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2018, 06:21:35 AM »
The problem is that Hasbro actively aren't interested in G1. They have licensed remaking them out to TBD and the merch is also licenced out because they want to make money from the concept, but they don't care about the line itself per se. If you ask Hasbro about G1 (I asked Hasbro UK about the retros) they will tell you in no uncertain terms that it is nothing to do with them and you have to contact the manufacturers.

Hasbro only care about their mane 6, and it seems highly likely that any future reboot is going to remain clinging desperately to these annoying and repetitive 6 character designs, as opposed to doing something new.

I agree with LAW about being sick of them. But I wouldn't turn away G1 posed G4s or vice versa. I would not really want G1 ponies in the current moulds though. The original G4 poses, obviously, but the reboot poses are hideous and seeing any G1 pony in that style would be *shudder*.

Unfortunately in G4 the show has become a crutch and an excuse to just remake the same ponies, which means a cut in costs because no major changes in production processes etc.

But it isn't really a tribute to 1980s MLP. They are fine for people who are interested in those ponies and so on, but shouldn't be labelled something that they are not. Some poor quality G4 ponies in plastic pseudo-80s outfits isn't a nod to the past but an attempt in the present to make as much money from as little work as possible.

I completely agree! I really wish that we also got new characters- or even background characters would have worked better, in my opinion. I’m so tired of g4 and the same 6 characters over and over and over again. These designs just aren’t doing it for me.

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2018, 07:08:16 AM »
Didn't Sunset Shimmer come with something like a leather jacket a few years ago?  In The Walmart exclusive "Through the Mirror" line?

Ohh I totally forgot about that! I always wanted this version of her because of the cool legfade but I already had gotten her original when she first came out.
It looks like it's more of a leather dress though, not really a jacket, and the skirt is attached to it.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Kiwichi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2018, 08:46:36 AM »
Like some members have said, wish they wouldve released a G1 in 80s gear :huh:

But I think I will pick up at least one of these, they are so cute!  Im loving the crimped hair :inlove:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2018, 12:10:10 PM »
That Sunset Shimmer with pleather clothes looked good and just drives home the fact that all those plastic clothes on ponies are a cost cutting measure and totally out of place as a con exclusive. I really hope this trend won't continue with the next generation.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2018, 12:50:52 PM »
That Sunset Shimmer with pleather clothes looked good and just drives home the fact that all those plastic clothes on ponies are a cost cutting measure and totally out of place as a con exclusive. I really hope this trend won't continue with the next generation.

That is exactly what I am worried about, I really am not getting my hopes up at this point.

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2018, 01:34:16 PM »

That is exactly what I am worried about, I really am not getting my hopes up at this point.

I honestly wouldn't really be shocked if they went to purely blindbag/Ponyville types after this, seems to be what they've been mostly leaning toward anyway.

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2018, 01:42:16 PM »

I thought it was more to make it easier for younger kids. After all even dollar store dolls have fabric clothes. But fabric clothes are fiddly for younger kids and lazy parents don't want to have to be constantly helping their kids dress their ponies. Still out of place on a supposed "Adult Collectible" which makes me think this was planned as a TRU exclusive before they went bankrupt.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:44:02 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »
I think they use plastic clothing to give a consistent "look."  When you take a cloth outfit and shrink it down, it can look awkward . . . either because of the fabric itself (the weave doesn't shrink down just because you're making small clothes) or because of the fastenings (I'm looking at you, G1 bedtime ponywear with the giant awkward velcro along the back).

I really don't think molded plastic clothes is any cheaper, and it might even be more expensive.  They have to make a separate mold for each piece of clothes.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2018, 04:27:38 PM »
I think they use plastic clothing to give a consistent "look."  When you take a cloth outfit and shrink it down, it can look awkward . . . either because of the fabric itself (the weave doesn't shrink down just because you're making small clothes) or because of the fastenings (I'm looking at you, G1 bedtime ponywear with the giant awkward velcro along the back).

I really don't think molded plastic clothes is any cheaper, and it might even be more expensive.  They have to make a separate mold for each piece of clothes.
I don't mind Pinkie Pie's items being plastic.. I do mind how they did Twilight's skirt though. The issue with her's is the wings don't allow for even plastic clothing to work properly..
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2018, 04:55:55 PM »
Still out of place on a supposed "Adult Collectible" which makes me think this was planned as a TRU exclusive before they went bankrupt.

Y'know, I really wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2018, 04:59:54 PM »
Still out of place on a supposed "Adult Collectible" which makes me think this was planned as a TRU exclusive before they went bankrupt.

Y'know, I really wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Yeah, I can totally see that.  Or maybe this was meant to be the Target/Walmart exclusive and now one of those stores will get what would have been the TRU exclusive.

Offline Water Lily

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Hi Everypony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2018, 11:05:25 PM »
I think they are cute but wish we could have had some different poses better clothes and Rainbow Dashs hair is just no. If anyones going Ill pAy to grab me a set!
You can never go wrong with being kind. :good:

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2018, 11:30:24 PM »
I am not impressed beause its the same ponies over and over again.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2018, 12:54:56 AM »
Didn't Sunset Shimmer come with something like a leather jacket a few years ago?  In The Walmart exclusive "Through the Mirror" line?

Ohh I totally forgot about that! I always wanted this version of her because of the cool legfade but I already had gotten her original when she first came out.
It looks like it's more of a leather dress though, not really a jacket, and the skirt is attached to it.

This is my favourite version of Sunset Shimmer <3
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2018, 02:20:11 PM »

Moulded clothes are made by a machine once the model has been made. Real clothes are done by workers by hand. So if it's not a cost/time cutting measure I don't know what is. Especially as an exclusive. Über-especially when the moulds are re-used from other lines.

I only buy the 'for toddlers' excuse when it's a cheap playline.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal