collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: SDCC 2018 Exclusives Revealed  (Read 21473 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: SDCC 2018 Exclusives Revealed
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2018, 07:23:45 PM »
Oh man, a Flashprance G4 ponywear would be AMAZING, they should have done that.

This is crossing toy brands, but I also wish one of them came with a boombox that was painted to look like G1 Transformer Soundwave, LOL.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2018, 07:25:59 PM »

This is crossing toy brands, but I also wish one of them came with a boombox that was painted to look like G1 Transformer Soundwave, LOL.

Yes to Soundwave.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LNS

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Glitter Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • on pink wings ...
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2018, 08:55:38 PM »
Honestly to look at them would not have guessed they were the SDCC exclusives. The design idea is cute, but it doesn't scream exclusive or overly 80's. I love the idea posted about G1 ponywear remade for this, yes. So much yes! Flashprance would have been amazing. :D To have had something that really celebrated more of the 80's and the MLP line's beginning, gracious. What they could have done. Such a missed opportunity sadly.

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2018, 08:56:58 PM »

Yes to Soundwave.

More Soundwave.  With 80s nostalgia being a thing it's amazing how much they dropped the ball on this one. Then again they haven't done the best SDCC exclusives.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2018, 01:14:08 AM »
The problem is that Hasbro actively aren't interested in G1. They have licensed remaking them out to TBD and the merch is also licenced out because they want to make money from the concept, but they don't care about the line itself per se. If you ask Hasbro about G1 (I asked Hasbro UK about the retros) they will tell you in no uncertain terms that it is nothing to do with them and you have to contact the manufacturers.

Hasbro only care about their mane 6, and it seems highly likely that any future reboot is going to remain clinging desperately to these annoying and repetitive 6 character designs, as opposed to doing something new.

I agree with LAW about being sick of them. But I wouldn't turn away G1 posed G4s or vice versa. I would not really want G1 ponies in the current moulds though. The original G4 poses, obviously, but the reboot poses are hideous and seeing any G1 pony in that style would be *shudder*.

Unfortunately in G4 the show has become a crutch and an excuse to just remake the same ponies, which means a cut in costs because no major changes in production processes etc.

But it isn't really a tribute to 1980s MLP. They are fine for people who are interested in those ponies and so on, but shouldn't be labelled something that they are not. Some poor quality G4 ponies in plastic pseudo-80s outfits isn't a nod to the past but an attempt in the present to make as much money from as little work as possible.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Princess_Luvlee

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2018, 02:15:31 AM »
They're only ok.  Pinkie Pie could be waay more 80's.

It'd have been cool to do them in neons or like colorswirl or hair do

Seriously tho i just want them to make the glow alien ponies

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2018, 02:43:36 AM »
I personally find them very... bland. Wish we could get something like my icon. Way more accessories and colors and so on. Still curious about the packaging though.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 02:46:29 AM by TornadoTwist »

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2018, 03:16:30 AM »
I like the concept, but what a disappointing execution. I agree it would have been much more exciting if they had incorporated G1 into these somehow, the throwback ponywear idea is especially good if they really wanted to reissue the mane 6 again and still have actual collectors be excited. The only thing I like about these is Twilight's hair. That's honestly it everything else looks so cheap and uninspired that if they were just regular releases I doubt they would sell much at all.
When is the last time Hasbro had a truly exciting SDCC exclusive for My Little Pony? I feel like ever since FiM came out the exclusives have been pretty underwhelming. I miss the art ponies. :(

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2018, 06:01:26 AM »
They're only ok.  Pinkie Pie could be waay more 80's.

It'd have been cool to do them in neons or like colorswirl or hair do

Seriously tho i just want them to make the glow alien ponies

Yes to the Aliens Swirls xInfinity.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2018, 10:49:04 AM »
I like the concept, but what a disappointing execution. I agree it would have been much more exciting if they had incorporated G1 into these somehow, the throwback ponywear idea is especially good if they really wanted to reissue the mane 6 again and still have actual collectors be excited. The only thing I like about these is Twilight's hair. That's honestly it everything else looks so cheap and uninspired that if they were just regular releases I doubt they would sell much at all.
When is the last time Hasbro had a truly exciting SDCC exclusive for My Little Pony? I feel like ever since FiM came out the exclusives have been pretty underwhelming. I miss the art ponies. :(

I'll go even further and say from the beginning most of the SDCC ponies have been underwhelming. Only the 2011 art pony and the Maneiac EG doll really excited me.

For this year I actually think the concept is a fun idea but the execution is lacking. Where's the 80s style makeup and wild fashions? If we need to use the Mane 6 then why not all 6? Why not a Jem crossover? Such a missed opportunity.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2018, 10:58:28 AM »

I'll go even further and say from the beginning most of the SDCC ponies have been underwhelming. Only the 2011 art pony and the Maneiac EG doll really excited me.

For this year I actually think the concept is a fun idea but the execution is lacking. Where's the 80s style makeup and wild fashions? If we need to use the Mane 6 then why not all 6? Why not a Jem crossover? Such a missed opportunity.

Omg, a Jem inspired pony would've been cool  :biggrin:
I'm not sure how people would think of that though, they might think that it's taking too much away from MLP...

I would still buy it though  :P

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2018, 11:06:21 AM »
Walks in...

stares at SDCC exclusive...

raises eyebrow...

walks out...
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »
Walks in...

raises eyebrow...

walks out...

:lol:

Re Jem - I don't see why. They already basically amalgamated Jem into EQG anyway, because MLP is a better selling brand. The scene at the end of Rainbow Rocks is so similar to the first encounter between the Holograms and the Misfits at the rigged battle of the bands that it's no accident. Instead of Synergy, it's DJ Pon3 that's the tech that helps them out, but otherwise *shrugs*.

There are also six main 6 ponies and 6 Holograms including Jem. Although character-wise I don't know how that works out. Twilight is much more Jerrica than she is Jem.

I just think they don't really care. They think we're going to drop money on anything pony they produce, and that bronies only care about G4 stuff, so G4 it is.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »
The circle is now Complete! Now we know the Reboot "Showing Pose" was meant to wear legwarmers from the beginning!   I see what you did there Hasbro!

LOL

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,392091.0.html

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2018, 03:11:34 PM »
Walks in...

raises eyebrow...

walks out...

:lol:

Re Jem - I don't see why. They already basically amalgamated Jem into EQG anyway, because MLP is a better selling brand. The scene at the end of Rainbow Rocks is so similar to the first encounter between the Holograms and the Misfits at the rigged battle of the bands that it's no accident. Instead of Synergy, it's DJ Pon3 that's the tech that helps them out, but otherwise *shrugs*.

There are also six main 6 ponies and 6 Holograms including Jem. Although character-wise I don't know how that works out. Twilight is much more Jerrica than she is Jem.

I just think they don't really care. They think we're going to drop money on anything pony they produce, and that bronies only care about G4 stuff, so G4 it is.

I guess. Hmm, wouldn't it have been interesting for the SDCC exclusives to be Jem imspired EG with the little molded ponies to go with them (Similar to the Celestia and Twilight with the molded hair that they included in one of the very first dolls of them they made)? Maybe if they were even willing to spend more money they could either have the ponies have actual hair, or if they wanted to bank more they could have the ponies and dolls be sold separate.
But I could see how some people might think it's celebrating more of Jem then MLP. I personally wouldn't have an issue with it as long as it wasn't the minis. (I know a lot of people like the minis, but I personally like the brushable dolls with real cloth clothing better, even if it means spending more money)

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal