collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rainbow Brite Help  (Read 3318 times)

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
Rainbow Brite Help
« on: June 27, 2018, 08:06:56 PM »
Now reading this title you might be asking why this isn't in the doll section. Well, I have a reason for I am not asking about the dolls, I AM SPECIFICALLY ASKING ABOUT THE HORSES! (I don't know why that is in caps...just roll with it XD)
So I don't really know much about them...or Rainbow Brite in general but it's mostly the horses I don't know about, and ever since I have found Starlite (is that the rainbow horse's name?) at a thrift shop I have a newfound appreciation for the horse's designs.
So I need some help from anyone who has watched the show. What are Starlight, Sunriser, and Skydancer's personalities and genders? Sorry if I have their names wrong also. From my understanding Starlight is a boy, but I'm not sure about the other two and I don't know any of their personalities or characteristics. Any information would be useful!

EDIT: Okay apparently there's also a fourth horse named Shimmer! Information on her/him would be appreciated also :)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:27:38 PM by WaterDraw »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Rainbow Brite Help
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 10:04:36 AM »
Well there is no "Shimmer" in the original Rainbow Brite series- just that horrible reboot (which admittedly had great toys)

As for the originals- Starlight (Rainbow's horse) was the biggest player- he was vain, had kind of a gay accent, but when it came down to it he was brave and had a huge heart.  "I'm the most magnificent horse in the galexy!" is a common phrase... 

Stormy's horse is Skydancer- he's the purple one. You don't get much personality from him other than that he is fierce and loyal to Stormy- maybe a little mischievous like Stormy.  He makes thunder when he kicks his hooves.

Sunriser appeared in one episode-  she's the pink horse.  In the reboot and in merch, they pair her with Tickled Pink- but she doesn't actually belong to Pink....

Here's a clip showing all three: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEX3JjM-VZc

There is also Onyx- he's the mechanical horse that belongs to Krys.  He appears in the Rainbow Brite movie-  "The Star Stealer"

He has a robot personality I guess although you get the idea he is skeptical of Starlite's pride...

Here's some wikki info about Krys- you can learn about Onyx in a round about way http://wiki.rainbowbrite.co.uk/index.php5?title=Krys

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »
Well there is no "Shimmer" in the original Rainbow Brite series- just that horrible reboot (which admittedly had great toys)

As for the originals- Starlight (Rainbow's horse) was the biggest player- he was vain, had kind of a gay accent, but when it came down to it he was brave and had a huge heart.  "I'm the most magnificent horse in the galexy!" is a common phrase... 

Stormy's horse is Skydancer- he's the purple one. You don't get much personality from him other than that he is fierce and loyal to Stormy- maybe a little mischievous like Stormy.  He makes thunder when he kicks his hooves.

Sunriser appeared in one episode-  she's the pink horse.  In the reboot and in merch, they pair her with Tickled Pink- but she doesn't actually belong to Pink....

There is also Onyx- he's the mechanical horse that belongs to Krys.  He appears in the Rainbow Brite movie-  "The Star Stealer"

He has a robot personality I guess although you get the idea he is skeptical of Starlite's pride...

Here's some wikki info about Krys- you can learn about Onyx in a round about way http://wiki.rainbowbrite.co.uk/index.php5?title=Krys
Oh thank you! I'll be sure to check out all those links ^^
Yeah I was really confused when I first saw Shimmer. I thought she was a reboot of Skydancer until I realized her doll with her wasn't Stormy. Then I got really confused lol.
But thanks again for the information :)

Mimic drawn by me~

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 12:32:57 PM »
 Starlite  also came in a plush from for the bigger dolls, and I think there were two sizes for them. As well as the hair being made of yarn and really really frail. I have one even though I was never really into rainbow brite, and they were sitting next to a plush cotton candy.  I said ok these two probably came from the same house, they are gonna stay that way.

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 07:24:19 PM »
The Starlite I found seems to be pretty big for a plush toy, however I have yet to see a rainbow brite doll for myself so I can't be the judge of which size he is....
Also what do you mean by it's really really frail?

Mimic drawn by me~

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 07:10:36 AM »
The RB dolls came in a larger size (with a large Starlite to match) ....  uhhhhh about 18" tall maybe a bit bigger?
Then they also came in a smaller size (with a Starlite to match) .... uhhhh about 12" tall.

Starlite's legs can get bendy and the glue holding in the mane can disintegrate, that's what I think invaderhorizongreen is trying to say!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 01:49:26 PM »
The larger Starlite is by Mattel and the smaller one is by Emotions.  I had both for awhile and saved this size comparison photo (have since sold the Emotions one):

In comparison with the dolls, here's the larger Mattel Starlite being ridden by the 12 inch Rainbow Brite (the 18 inch one is way too big for him - her feet practically touch the ground while riding):

And here's a couple to show the size of the Mattel one compared to the hard plastic Sunriser who was definitely intended for the 12 inch dolls:
Spoiler

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 09:29:11 AM »
Here are the hard horses-
 Starlite (white with Rainbow hair) Sunriser (bright pink unlike the cartoon version which was normal pink) and Skydancer (he is a prototype- there is a black and purple version) visitors can't see pics , please register or login

What's interesting to me- is that they created the toy prototypes before they created the cartoon-  which kind of tells you what the purpose of the cartoon was right? :D

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 12:48:17 PM »
 Starlite (white with Rainbow hair) Sunriser (bright pink unlike the cartoon version which was normal pink) and Skydancer (he is a prototype- there is a black and purple version) visitors can't see pics , please register or login

What's interesting to me- is that they created the toy prototypes before they created the cartoon-  which kind of tells you what the purpose of the cartoon was right? :D

Oh I've seen those horses before (well, Starlite and Sunriser) and I heard they're super rare. Were there multiple prototypes made because I've seen a couple of listings for them over the years? Or were they jst limited release? I guess what I'm trying to ask is why are they so expensive?

Post Merge: July 02, 2018, 12:50:37 PM

The RB dolls came in a larger size (with a large Starlite to match) ....  uhhhhh about 18" tall maybe a bit bigger?
Then they also came in a smaller size (with a Starlite to match) .... uhhhh about 12" tall.

Starlite's legs can get bendy and the glue holding in the mane can disintegrate, that's what I think invaderhorizongreen is trying to say!

So then would it be advised to not try to move his legs and what could I do to help prevent the mane falling out?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:50:37 PM by WaterDraw »

Mimic drawn by me~

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 03:04:10 PM »

Oh I've seen those horses before (well, Starlite and Sunriser) and I heard they're super rare. Were there multiple prototypes made because I've seen a couple of listings for them over the years? Or were they jst limited release? I guess what I'm trying to ask is why are they so expensive?

Post Merge: July 02, 2018, 12:50:37 PM

So then would it be advised to not try to move his legs and what could I do to help prevent the mane falling out?

They made limited quantities of the hard Starlite and Sunriser- they were not prototypes- but there are only very few out there because the line was cancelled before most stores got their allotments.

The Skydancer horse never made it into production. (The purple guy).  There is a black Skydancer prototype too- he has a different pose.

As for the plush horses being fragile?  That has not been my experience.  I never had issues with the hair coming out. The hair is sewn in- it is thick yarn.  Maybe there were some that didn't have hte hair sewn in right?

I've had many dozens of the plush Starlites over the years (I can't resist when I see one at a thrift or garage sale) and they all seem well made and very sturdy- I've never had the hair fall out.

The HOOVES on the other hand-  they are covered in thin felt material that is easily scuffed and split.  Even brand new Starlites have damaged looking feet.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 01:43:20 PM »
I have a renewed interest for Rainbow Brite too :) I remember them of course, from the 80’s, but since I never got any of them as a kid I kind of forgot them. I do remember running around imagining I had rainbow colored hair and riding on multi-colored horses :P

I love these toys though! Never seen the hard plastic horses, but the plushies are adorable :inlove: Are there a lot of these toys to find second-hand? Thrifting or flea markets?
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 09:57:50 AM »
I have a renewed interest for Rainbow Brite too :) I remember them of course, from the 80’s, but since I never got any of them as a kid I kind of forgot them. I do remember running around imagining I had rainbow colored hair and riding on multi-colored horses :P

I love these toys though! Never seen the hard plastic horses, but the plushies are adorable :inlove: Are there a lot of these toys to find second-hand? Thrifting or flea markets?

I used to find the dolls and plush sprites all the time when thrifting- but that was 15 years ago I guess-  in more recent years I feel like I never see anything at thrift stores anymore- I think more people sell on ebay.

But you can get very cheap plush or dolls on ebay ;)

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 10:10:36 PM »
Are the larger plush Starlite the “Emotions” one? I have never seen a larger plush Starlite.

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 10:09:07 AM »
The Emotions one is the smaller one although I'm not sure I would have noticed the size difference if I hadn't had both at the same time. Here's the pic of them side by side again - Mattel on left Emotions on right (you can see his tag):

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Strawberrysweets

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Like a strawberry, I'm sweet but I can be sour too
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 12:21:51 PM »

Omg thats the episode I watched on a rented vhs everytime we visited my uncle in east norway in the early 90s.
Icon by Minty_Magic

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal