collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Moving. Need Help Packing Ponies and Customs D:  (Read 874 times)

Offline WaterRaven

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
Moving. Need Help Packing Ponies and Customs D:
« on: June 26, 2018, 07:32:30 PM »
Hey guys!

It's been a long time, but I'm poking around the arena again.

I'm just prepping for a move and wondered if you guys had suggestions for packing ponies? I usually keep bait ponies in a box and don't have problems, but my windy wings ponies, for example, I'd like to pack more carefully. I'd love to hear suggestions.

I made the mistake of packing a couple of my customs in newspaper and the print from the paper stained my ponies because of their sealant D: Needless to say, I had/have to do some repair.  For those of you who ship customs or have moved with them, what do you recommend I wrap them in to help protect them?

Thank you so much everyone! I hope you're all doing well :D

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Moving. Need Help Packing Ponies and Customs D:
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 08:00:35 PM »
Hey guys!

It's been a long time, but I'm poking around the arena again.

I'm just prepping for a move and wondered if you guys had suggestions for packing ponies? I usually keep bait ponies in a box and don't have problems, but my windy wings ponies, for example, I'd like to pack more carefully. I'd love to hear suggestions.

I made the mistake of packing a couple of my customs in newspaper and the print from the paper stained my ponies because of their sealant D: Needless to say, I had/have to do some repair.  For those of you who ship customs or have moved with them, what do you recommend I wrap them in to help protect them?

Thank you so much everyone! I hope you're all doing well :D

Plastic bags. Plain or light cloth. Could get some bubble wrap.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline WaterRaven

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 08:23:39 PM »
I do have some bubble wrap. I'm wondering if it will stick to my the sealant on my customs? What do you think?

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:38:26 PM »
Acid free tissue paper. A lot of it. When moving cross country I wrapped my ponies up, customs as well, and didn't see any issues upon arriving in my new home. I also used packing peanuts to space feet and crumpled tissue paper to brace my wingers wings on all sides before placing them in an open plastic baggie. They arrived looking great :)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:42:21 PM »
You can use parchment paper and then bubble wrap for sticky customs.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 05:17:37 AM »
Acid free tissue paper. A lot of it. When moving cross country I wrapped my ponies up, customs as well, and didn't see any issues upon arriving in my new home. I also used packing peanuts to space feet and crumpled tissue paper to brace my wingers wings on all sides before placing them in an open plastic baggie. They arrived looking great :)
This is what I would do.
I'd also put extra fragile things in their own boxes to avoid them being crushed by the weight of anything else in the box.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 05:56:46 AM »
I hope this doesn't count as hijacking the thread, but I was curious if anyone could point me in the direction of somewhere online that I can purchase acid free tissue paper for storing ponies? I've seen it mentioned a lot and as I understand it is not the same thing as the plain white tissue paper used for giftwrapping.

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 06:18:31 AM »
I hope this doesn't count as hijacking the thread, but I was curious if anyone could point me in the direction of somewhere online that I can purchase acid free tissue paper for storing ponies? I've seen it mentioned a lot and as I understand it is not the same thing as the plain white tissue paper used for giftwrapping.
Amazon has it. I think that was the site linked by another member, anyway. :)
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 08:25:08 AM »
I do have some bubble wrap. I'm wondering if it will stick to my the sealant on my customs? What do you think?

That's why I said put them in plastic bags first. ;)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 11:22:31 AM »

It is often used for storing wedding dresses and other delicate fabrics so search online in those sections if it is not available in stationery (though our local greetings-card shop stocks it, and that's in a small town) Get white tissue paper.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 12:03:19 PM »
I don't have any experience packing custom ponies.  But I've moved several times with my regular ponies.  I put them in individual plastic baggies so they don't rub together / get their hair tangled and then put them all in a cardboard box. 

Just make sure they are NOT WET before you put them in.  Otherwise the moisture will be trapped in the baggie with them.  So no baths.  ;)  But the upside is if the box gets wet, they will be protected.

Don't use newspaper to cushion any kind of pony, the newsprint will rub off on the ponies--even if they don't have sealant on them.

With Windy Wing ponies, I would put them all in a shallow box that is just big enough to fit them standing (so they don't rattle around) and basically fill up and "free space" under or between their wings with bunched up bubble wrap or tissue paper (but not colored tissue paper).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:06:18 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 12:55:30 PM »

I actually found it at the dollar tree. Just had to make sure it said acid free on it. Was pretty a pretty cheap way to go without having to wait for shipping.

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 05:19:32 PM »

I actually found it at the dollar tree. Just had to make sure it said acid free on it. Was pretty a pretty cheap way to go without having to wait for shipping.

Thanks for all the advice.  :) Getting to any kind of store isn't going to be possible in the foreseeable future but I'm looking at some on amazon for after payday... is this the real deal?

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline Syreada

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »
I've done several trans Atlantic moves with bubble wrap and paper towel. Or if you have regular white towels. Regular pose G1, G2, and G3s are pretty resilient.[ETA -> I am not great with G4s most of mine seem pretty fragile but they are blind bags, I don't know enough about this line to tell you specific tips] I just layer them in a box next to each other (provided they are factory made and don't have any plastic defects)and I'll put a layer of paper towel between the layers. Windy wing, summer wing and flutters with wings would all be individually bubble wrapped and then placed at the top of a box that is labelled "Do not stack on top of" or something like that so they don't get squished.

always white, towels, tissue paper, paper towel. Nothing with dye in it. this is especially true for Pullip dolls. My Batgirl got staining on her costume, OFF HER OWN COSTUME. I was not impressed with that. But definately don't put colours next to your ponies, especially if it's hot you'll likely get some transfer.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:02:59 PM by Syreada »
Thanks DreamvalleyMLP for the avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal