collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3 Bait Hair Removal  (Read 1234 times)

Offline SparkleSkye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
  • I have anxiety pls be nice to me
    • View Profile
G3 Bait Hair Removal
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:18:21 PM »
G3 heads have a lot of glue inside them. So much glue that my usual method of bait prep hair removal (digging around with hemostats and pulling out chunks) usually does not work. I have broken a pair of hemostats trying to remove G3 hair.
So, does anyone have tricks for removing the hair roots/getting through the glue? I've tried boiling water to little success, and steel tools for carving clay with slightly more but still not consistent success.
Sparkleworks and Autumn Skye are girlfriends

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: G3 Bait Hair Removal
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 06:11:38 PM »
How long are you boiling the pony for? Some people recommend a few minutes.
Do you have pliers? The extra sturdiness may be enough to pull out the largest chunks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 07:57:13 PM »
G3 heads are ridiculous, lol! It's unbelievable how much glue they manage to fill them up with.

First I start by cutting the mane as close as humanly possible to the neck without damaging the plastic. It's much easier to deal with when the roots are super short. Then I move on to needle-nose pliers, and what I do is just put the pliers into the head and wiggle them back and forth to scrape at and loosen the glue. Then I pluck the chunks out. It's pretty time-consuming but it gets the job done! Needle-nose pliers are definitely a helpful tool to have around. I don't think I've ever removed hair any other way, honestly.

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 12:45:56 AM »
I  do what dakotadarkhooves do :) Some plugs I try to push in from the outside, too. Sometimes that helps :)

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 06:51:52 AM »
I behead my ponies before I boil and boil for about 10 minutes on a general day. I also spritz with some "goo remover", like Goo Gone or Goof Off (which Goof Off is my preference) and scrape the inside with a butter knife that I purchased just for pony making intermittently with the boiling.

I also have a pair of 5in needle-nose pliers that I use for it, but make sure that you have on some nice work gloves to protect from blisters and work-rubs. Life is awful for the next week after when you do more than 4 at one time in one sitting with bare hands and pliers.

If worst comes to worse then I boil for about 20mins to soften the glue entirely- just be aware that some hair may transfer-bleed onto the head, so cut the hair prior to this.

I do not recommend using acetone to help loosen it. I think they use more of a non-toxic epoxy because acetone barely touches it and it makes more of a mess than anything.

I don't like pushing from the outside in because it's so easy to cut or rip the vinyl when the holes are so close together. I have yet to see a pony with nice, uniform holes so I try to avoid it, but sometimes you just have to  x.x

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 09:58:12 AM »
Yes G3 heads are the worst to dehair, it seems! Looks like excellent advise was already given. I also do the push through method from the outside. You don't necessarily have to do every hole that way, but it breaks the glue a bit and can loosen up the rest if you're only careful not to puncture the holes too thick. I use a thumbtack.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal