collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any tips on getting started?  (Read 6639 times)

Offline JasonP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Any tips on getting started?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 10:15:24 AM »
Thank you! I was so confused about this. I was trying to find the name on the little wiki page based on the year on the foot... and that wasn't working at all. This explains everything. Thank you very much. You've saved me a lot of time and confusion xD

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 10:19:48 AM »
Thank you! I was so confused about this. I was trying to find the name on the little wiki page based on the year on the foot... and that wasn't working at all. This explains everything. Thank you very much. You've saved me a lot of time and confusion xD

You are welcome :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline JasonP

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Any tips on getting started? (can anyone tell me which pony this is?)
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 07:11:13 AM »
Could someone maybe tell me the name of this pony? O_O I can't find it... I've searched everywhere. I'm trying to make a list of all my ponys but can't find that one... X_X

Thank you!

okay I give up... nvm. I cant figure out how to post a picture here O_O

this pony: https://photos.app.goo.gl/RkFTnpGjaZLeKKYK9
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:26:19 AM by JasonP »

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 10:07:35 AM »
That's the beautiful Bluebell. :) She wasn't sold in the US -- alas! -- so she and her setmates are often tucked away on the "European Exclusives" pages of MLP ID websites. Maybe that's why you missed her?

If you ever want to put a picture in your post, first upload it somewhere like Imgur or Flickr, then paste the url between [img] tags.

Best of luck with your collection! Owning over 200 ponies is an incredible "start"! :bigups:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »
That's the beautiful Bluebell. :) She wasn't sold in the US -- alas! -- so she and her setmates are often tucked away on the "European Exclusives" pages of MLP ID websites. Maybe that's why you missed her?

If you ever want to put a picture in your post, first upload it somewhere like Imgur or Flickr, then paste the url between [img] tags.

Best of luck with your collection! Owning over 200 ponies is an incredible "start"! :bigups:

I'll use this opportunity to shamelessly plug my site again *grins*
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook/

Simply because I don't separate European ponies out like they have the plague like a lot of other sites do. Being serious for a moment, most websites are US-centric but Europe had a fair amount that the US didn't have and vice versa. It makes it harder often for people in Europe (including the UK) to use them for IDing ponies because they're only filed logically if you live in the US or Canada.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline JasonP

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 09:18:30 PM »
Oh, that makes so much sense. Thank you very much ^^
I've come to realize I have a few european ones... Which I guess makes sense. I think I'll use your site from now on, Taffeta xD Maybe it'll be easier... I still have a good 50 ponys to go.

I had the imageon photobucket, but somehow that wasn't working... 

Thank you so much for your help!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 09:27:09 PM »
If you get stuck, just post a picture of your collection shelf/pile and we'll probably be able to ID every pony for you.  There are a lot of members who know just about everyone by heart. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 11:37:16 PM »
If you get stuck, just post a picture of your collection shelf/pile and we'll probably be able to ID every pony for you.  There are a lot of members who know just about everyone by heart. 

This too. It's also good to use a range of websites as sometimes one will have an answer and another won't :) I'm glad you're getting through your long list!

Photobucket images are problematic now because they changed their whole system and invoked pay for use services. So linking an image to here and posting it now from there doesn't really work, sadly.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 07:06:04 AM »

This too. It's also good to use a range of websites as sometimes one will have an answer and another won't :) I'm glad you're getting through your long list!

Photobucket images are problematic now because they changed their whole system and invoked pay for use services. So linking an image to here and posting it now from there doesn't really work, sadly.

PB reversed its stupid decision, now images work again ;) 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 07:24:37 AM »
Sounds like you were off to a grand start anyway. :p

Go to id sites
Compile a list
Ask for price ranges
Set a budget and stick with it
Buy what you like
Accept that these are older toys that come with problems and even if you get something mint/near mint, it may develop problems anyway.
Search garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores etc. you may be pleasantly surprised.
Have fun
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline JasonP

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2018, 07:30:27 AM »
That about photobucket makes sense... I was really confused there when I saw that they suddenly wanted money, but now it seems to work again... sort of...

There's seriously people who know that many ponys? xD I havent been able to memorize a single one so far... But I already identified 176 ponys. I'm so proud. Although some of them are the same but in different poses? Or from different countries? Especially the G1s... it's crazy how many different ones there are of the same pony O.o

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2018, 07:53:14 AM »
That about photobucket makes sense... I was really confused there when I saw that they suddenly wanted money, but now it seems to work again... sort of...

There's seriously people who know that many ponys? xD I havent been able to memorize a single one so far... But I already identified 176 ponys. I'm so proud. Although some of them are the same but in different poses? Or from different countries? Especially the G1s... it's crazy how many different ones there are of the same pony O.o
When you've been collecting for a certain amount of time, you can recognize a lot of ponies by seeing them.It's just something you learn as you go.I don't think anyone started collecting and could immediately identify any pony you showed them.

Offline JasonP

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2018, 07:54:50 AM »
Yes, that makes sense... but there are so many of them. Does anyone actually know how many in total? xD

I was wondering about something else... I have a few ponys where I have two identical versions, except one has a darker symbol and the other a slightly lighter one... Are they still the same pony?

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2018, 07:58:20 AM »
Yes, that makes sense... but there are so many of them. Does anyone actually know how many in total? xD

I was wondering about something else... I have a few ponys where I have two identical versions, except one has a darker symbol and the other a slightly lighter one... Are they still the same pony?
This could have a lot of explanations, they could be different versions or just the same version that faded for example.If they have the same symbol they are the same pony, just maybe not the same version of that pony.

Offline JasonP

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2018, 07:59:28 AM »
...Do different versions have different names? Or should I just call them... Posey I and Posey II? xD

I can't seem to find anything regarding that on my little wiki

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal