collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hornby Flower Fairies  (Read 1030 times)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Hornby Flower Fairies
« on: August 02, 2018, 03:10:10 AM »
Anyone have any of these beauties? I remember having at least two of them as a kid (heliotrope and the blue one). Both dolls got lost over the years- I never liked them that much as I thought they all looked more or less the same :lookround: I still have the badger though, I loved stuffed animals- and of course, I freed him from the saddle- so I don’t have that unfortunately. I do have some of the fairy clothes though.

I try to look them up, and I did see a bunch of them for sale. Many of them MOC, so a little too expensive.
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hornby Flower Fairies
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 07:52:45 AM »
I had one very briefly as a child.  Something about its face sculpt didn't sit well with me. Or the fact that yet again someone who knew me very well bought me the pinkest, girliest item they could find in an attempt to mold me into the girl they wanted me to be.  But you know what did?  Dresses made out of fake flowers. Kind of obsessed with those kind of dresses ever since. 

If you incorporate faux flowers into a doll outfit, to scale (meaning it's supposed to look like the doll is wearing a literal human sized flower), I will be like...YUP!.

I'm more of a fan of the original art that inspired them.  It just made me kinda sad that they had such expressionless faces.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:59:57 AM by flutterscotch »

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 01:43:46 PM »
Yeah- I agree. The face thing and lack of difference between the dolls bummed me out too... I don’t remember playing with them (other than the badger of course- him I loved). But I do remember thinking their clothes were pretty. The concept could have been totally amazing, though. The art is beautiful :inlove:

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 12:38:06 PM »
I think that's the unfortunate thing that happened when the 80s lower quality toy factories tried re-creating classic things.  They just kinda failed at it because folks seemed more concerned with cutting costs and making more more more than putting a really solid product out there. Which is kind of sad because overwhelmingly the toys of the early 80s were based off thematically similar (but more cutesy) illustrations. Herself the Elf, Strawberry Shortcake, Victoria Plum, Rose Petal Place, Lady Lovely Locks, etc.

Offline lalalei2001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 03:50:23 PM »
Wow, these are pretty! I really like the dresses. http://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/flowerfairies.php

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 04:25:31 PM »
I love the illustrations of Cicely Mary Barker but those dolls were... scary! 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 04:52:08 PM »
I had a Star Fairy- they look pretty much the same.  Same doll different dress.

The one I had as a kid was the princess- with mouse brown hair and a pink dress. My sister had a much prettier one with black hair...

Even though they were not nearly as pretty as Lady Lovelylocks We loved them because they had wings, and of course, we looooved fairies. 

We also had the winged unicorn- which again is the same one the Star Fairies have.  He is pretty awesome.

At some point in the early 2000s when ebay was newish I bought someone's entire collection for pretty cheap.  I saved them for my future daughters- but then had a son...

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 01:14:46 AM »
Oh, that is quite the collection - Galactica! I do think they are cuter as an adult - but I am still bummed out about the lack of difference and poor facial expression in the dolls themselves. I had Lady Lovelylocks as a kid and she was something totally different. A lot more 80’s of course, but I really liked her.

Although it is awesome that the flower fairies had wings... :nod:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal