collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rehairing for personal collection  (Read 6541 times)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
Re: Rehairing for personal collection
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2018, 07:33:06 AM »
Her hair is lovely. I would keep it and be happy to buy her and I’m a picky collector! I’m sure you could sell her, maybe even make an little bit of money and wait for a Powder to come up who has had a severe haircut or something. Then you can rehair her to make her look exactly how you want. Powder is a really lovely pony :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2018, 07:44:48 AM »
I'm not a rich collector, and all but a rare few of my ponies have come to me from 'bait lots' in extremely poor condition. I personally quite like rehairs, and sometimes even prefer 'alternate rehairs' to 100% original ponies. That being said I would never sacrifice a mint, excellent, or even very good condition pony just for a rehair.
The trouble with Powder is that her hair is right on the line of what I usually consider needing a rehair. It's not unfixably frizzy (or even frizzy at all), which would normally put a pony in the 'keep the hair' category for me, but it is faded and translucent and very dry feeling even after conditioner and overall makes Powder look to be worse condition than she actually is.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

At this point, I'm leaning more towards keeping the original hair. I don't think it's quite worthy of a rehair, even if I would like a properly white haired Powder in my collection. I'm sure a buzz cut Powder will come to me eventually.

Wow, I would definitely not rehair that pony.  That's what Powder's hair is supposed to look like?   Like seriously, I'm not sure what you think it would look like other than that.

Edit:  There are different "shades" of white hair used, so maybe you were thinking since Powder doesn't 'match' some other white haired pony that her hair is damaged?  But to be honest that looks to me like normal Powder hair.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:50:46 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline SparkleSkye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
  • I have anxiety pls be nice to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2018, 07:51:02 AM »
Her hair looks like some other ponies I have who I know are supposed to have white hair. Like I said, these ponies are all older than I am so I'm having to piece together second and third hand information on ponies that are over 30 years old. That's why I asked here instead of ploughing ahead with a rehair.
I would have posted pictures earlier but I only got my makeshift photo booth set up this morning.
Sparkleworks and Autumn Skye are girlfriends

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2018, 08:16:11 AM »
I think she looks fine like that :) I don't have her (I might have a bait? maybe... I'll check later) but some ponies do have more warm toned white than bright white.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2018, 08:20:55 AM »
I think she looks fine and dandy! I have noticed a lot of Powders seem to have slightly thinner hair than others so I'd say she looks normal.

As for marking goes, I think the hoof works quite well. It's visible to the outside and doesn't show on display. Marking inside the neck plug might not work, since it's not obvious. If somebody receives a pony and they will notice the hooves are marked right away, while if they don't open the pony up or don't notice... Also, one point of making it permanent is so others don't remove it.

My two cents on the debate: By not marking a pony you could be responsible for someone losing money or getting hurt. Don't think that it's not your problem and don't take it lightly.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2018, 08:30:51 AM »

My two cents on the debate: By not marking a pony you could be responsible for someone losing money or getting hurt. Don't think that it's not your problem and don't take it lightly.

Thank you :hug: my point entirely :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2018, 09:26:40 AM »
I think she looks fine and dandy! I have noticed a lot of Powders seem to have slightly thinner hair than others so I'd say she looks normal.

As for marking goes, I think the hoof works quite well. It's visible to the outside and doesn't show on display. Marking inside the neck plug might not work, since it's not obvious. If somebody receives a pony and they will notice the hooves are marked right away, while if they don't open the pony up or don't notice... Also, one point of making it permanent is so others don't remove it.

Hmm, very true about the neck plug. I do wonder if there's some sort of marking material that could be used on the hooves that doesn't bleed into the plastic, perhaps, but is still permanent enough that it can't be removed easily. It's a very interesting subject! I'll have to do some research and see if I can find something.

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2018, 10:42:41 AM »

Hmm, very true about the neck plug. I do wonder if there's some sort of marking material that could be used on the hooves that doesn't bleed into the plastic, perhaps, but is still permanent enough that it can't be removed easily. It's a very interesting subject! I'll have to do some research and see if I can find something.
Yeah, if there was a different option than a straight up pen, it would be better, but I all that would really fix is it bleeding? I know some people carve into the plastic.

Also, I want to add that marking a pony isn't just damage. It is useful, showing that this pony is not completely original. When people go in and mark ponies, they don't think "Hardy har har, I'm going to mess up this pony and scribble all over it for no reason!" It isn't just a mark. It saves people the trouble of scams or issues. It's there for a reason. Personally, having a mark that won't be seen on display preventing someone losing money or having issues is better than no mark and someone getting hurt and losing money. It's a fair trade. While you may not like it, it's selfish if you don't mark. You could be causing someone to lose money and get hurt.

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2018, 10:52:50 AM »

A light coloured Posca marker would work well for this. It works in a similar way to acrylic paint.

Still I would never dream of drawing on a pony that for 30+ years has lasted really well, occasionally in mint condition and then write on its hoof. It’s just silly. Rehairing enhances and improves the look of a pony. Drawing on it in pen does not. Ultimately though it is up to the owner and the seller to do what they think is best and for the buyer to decide whether they want to buy a rehaired/marked pony or not.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2018, 11:03:18 AM »
Drawing on a pony is damage.  It doesn't matter if it's "useful."   You could also carve the word "REHAIR" into the side of the pony and it would convey information.  But it would still be damage.  The intent of someone drawing on a pony does not alter this.  The little kids who gave their ponies highlighter lipstick and eyeshadow weren't thinking "Hardy har I love ruining ponies" either.  They were just having fun.  Nevertheless, their actions make a pony less desirable.

Obviously people can do what they want with their own ponies.  Just like the people who open MOC G1s.  Hey, no one can stop you if that's what you want to do.  But don't expect everyone to think it's a great idea.

I just don't want newbies to get the idea that writing on a rehaired pony is a settled-on, universally approved custom that everyone does and everyone agrees to.  As seen by this thread, a lot of people do not approve or agree.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:07:40 AM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2018, 11:21:26 AM »
Also, I want to add that marking a pony isn't just damage. It is useful, showing that this pony is not completely original. When people go in and mark ponies, they don't think "Hardy har har, I'm going to mess up this pony and scribble all over it for no reason!" It isn't just a mark. It saves people the trouble of scams or issues. It's there for a reason. Personally, having a mark that won't be seen on display preventing someone losing money or having issues is better than no mark and someone getting hurt and losing money. It's a fair trade. While you may not like it, it's selfish if you don't mark. You could be causing someone to lose money and get hurt.

People don't rehair or otherwise restore ponies thinking "I'm totally gonna scam someone" either. Also, I don't agree that it's selfish (???) to not mark up my own ponies. I maintain it's a buyer beware situation. If you as a buyer don't want rehaired or restored ponies, it's on you to ask the seller. It's no different than asking about age spots, hair cuts, ink - pretty much anything else. It's not my fault if someone loses money. Just for the record - I don't sell ponies anyway, but if I did, I would 100% say who is rehaired/restored. But hey, if someone doesn't read and buys from me anyway? Not my problem!

We tell people all the time to make sure you read descriptions, ask for more pictures, etc, so why is it different for rehairs? If you ask a seller and the answer is 'gosh, no idea' then don't buy, or buy and take the risk.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2018, 11:55:11 AM »
Im sorry if my post came off as a bit rude (it was, I apologize.) I just don't want anybody to be scammed, you know? Marking is damage. I thought since it wasn't really visible it didn't matter, but I know it does. Your posts have been read and understood :nod: I'm really sorry (I really shouldn't have said it was selfish either, it's collecting preference.) No hard feelings I hope?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »
Rehairing a pony is also damage.

Looking at it objectively, it requires:

- Breaking the original neck seal
- Ripping out the original hair (however little is left of it)
- Using a rerooting tool which may or may not damage the holes further.
- Gluing inside the head with new glue.
- Potentially it also involves creating a new tail, thus maybe removing original tail and washer and so on.

I am not saying those things are wrong to do. Just that they are equally 'damaging' the original pony as is writing on it. They're permanent and can't be undone either.

Marking politics are also a bit hazy for me, because I see people getting ponies signed and that's fine, but writing rehair on the hoof is not so fine...? I really don't understand how that works.

If I had a $ for every time someone said "I'm never going to sell X so it doesn't matter", and then they sold it, I could buy a new MOC G1 pony. It may never happen, but it just makes sense to raise awareness of possibilities.

Marking may not be the perfect answer for everyone, but it is still a possible solution. If there's a better solution, then someone needs to be constructive and suggest it. Unless the solution is to let people get misled.

@BlackCurtains - Unfortunately yes, people do rehair ponies with the thought to scam people. I am pretty sure it was Greek ponies which at one point were being rehaired to create new variants or something? Plus there's the fake Reverse Gusties, and numerous incidents around Piggy Ponies being rehaired and not disclosed...to name a few. It's usually a problem more on big ticket items but there are people who will try and hide a rehair to get more money for their item. It's naive to think otherwise. Unfortunately just because you are honest with your rehairing doesn't mean everyone else is, and doesn't mean the person who (theoretically) buys a pony from you is as honest as you are. I have seen it happen to people. That's why it matters to me to make sure it doesn't happen going forward.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:21:38 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2018, 12:53:29 PM »
I don't consider rehairing or restoring as damage. Not if done properly anyway.

I'm not naive about anything. I know you've been around since the dawn of ponies so it's your authority over everyone else but just because someone at one time purposefully withheld that a pony or two were rehaired doesn't mean it's not on the buyer to ask questions. Moreso for big ticket ponies! You win some, you lose some. Thus is the way of collecting.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2018, 01:39:42 PM »
If someone was actively trying to scam, obviously they would not tell anyone it was a reroot, let alone write on it. And if someone got a pony with "reroot" on it and wanted to scam, they could just take a black marker and put a big ol' blot over the entire bottom of the hoof.

To me this seems like an 'answer' searching for a problem.  I don't think people getting 'fooled' by reroots is in any way common.  Yeah, Reverse Gusty happened . . . 20 years ago, when Paypal didn't exist and we were all sending cash overseas.  These days a simple "Item not as described" complaint will get your money back.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal