collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rehairing for personal collection  (Read 6540 times)

Offline SparkleSkye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
  • I have anxiety pls be nice to me
    • View Profile
Rehairing for personal collection
« on: June 22, 2018, 04:52:49 PM »
I have a second-hand Powder who's hair is neither in terrible contion nor great condition. The white has faded to a translucent-y yellowish color, and is quite thin and dry feeling.
I like my collection to look nice, and I think she would look much better with new white hair. But I know a lot of collectors hate rehairs and prefer everything to be original.
I'm not really planning on selling Powder any time soon, but I also dont want to contribute to the 'destruction' of all-original G1s. If I'm only keeping her for my own collection, is it okay to rehair her?
Sparkleworks and Autumn Skye are girlfriends

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Rehairing for personal collection
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 05:37:10 PM »
Absolutely, she's your pony. I doubt anyone's going to come after you for rehairing Powder because she is a fairly common pony, and as you mentioned her hair isn't in the best condition.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 06:49:07 PM »
Your pony, do what makes you happy.

Personally I leave the necks unglued with any ponies I've tinkered around inside with, so it's not hard to pop their heads later on and check on what's been done.  Some advocate for marking restores permanently but to me that's just causing them actual damage and isn't effective anyways. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:39:57 PM »
I just rehaired a G1 Twilight!  Granted, she had a buzz cut, but brand new silky hair makes her look so nice.  Remember to keep the original tail!  Makes good donor part if someone needs it.

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 08:59:00 PM »
She's your pony, for your own collection, whatever you do with her is your right. You paid for her and she belongs to you, no one else has rights, or even a say, to your ponies. :)

Especially because you are restoring her, and not customizing her, I don't see that in any way as part of the "destruction of G1s." Infact, that's more like helping SAVE them!
So many people are so quick to entirely customize a G1 that they think is "bait," when really it just needs a tad bit of TLC to be restored to it's original glory. And they totally have every right to do so, but I do have to say in my humble opinion I much, much prefer to see them restored than customized.

You did say you don't plan on selling her, which is even more reason to do as you please with her. Even if you do happen to ever sell her, just make a note that she was rerooted, plenty of collectors still love rerooted ponies.
I don't have any but that would never deter me from buying (unless it was a custom reroot in different colors), I'd rather have a pony with pretty, restored hair than really icky hair, or a really bad chop-job, lol!

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 01:06:59 AM »
There will be many different views on this, it's what you are comfortable with doing.

Personally, I re-root or do alternative rehairs on ponies for my personal collection if their hair is in a bad way. I repair my ponies and touch-up symbols and eyes too if a pony has damage.Sometimes a new hair-do without reroot can give a pony a whole new look - I've conditioned and curled a couple with thinning, but still shiny, hair, it can look great on the right pony (one was a Twister who is in the same pose as Powder, she looks great with shortish, very curly hair)  I have very few mint ponies (and can't afford them) so mine usually need some tlc, though often it's their flaws that give them character and a unique beauty of their own so I leave them be.

I am less comfortable with extensive customisation unless the pony is true bait.
My ponies are not for sale, just for my own personal enjoyment,. If they did need to be sold I feel that rehairing is not so permanent as full customisation - if someone had donor hair then an alt-rehair could be restored to the 'original' pony.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 01:34:09 AM by PoserBeachball »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 02:51:57 AM »
Restoration is about improving a pony, not doing more damage to it. So the decision really lies in that judgement. You are the only one who knows if Powder's hair merits replacement or not.

I endorse marking the hoof of a rehair. I do so because in the unlikely event something happens to you and someone else sells your collection, it would be hard for that person to know it was a rehair. Having the head unsealed is ineffective, as a lot of people take heads off for cleaning these days. In short, restoration should never have a knock-on effect down the line, if circumstances dictated the pony being sold. So I advise you strongly to think about how you can best disclose this rehair if you were not in a position to mention it directly yourself.

Also, the rarity of a pony is irrelevant in this. The important things are whether the restoration really improves the pony, rather than damaging it, and whether that restoration is clearly and honestly acknowledged in some way (there may be other ways than marking the hoof).

Powder is also extremely rare in the UK, where she wasn't sold. I feel like people are telling you that it's fine because she's common. I've seen people get really criticised for wanting to customise or restore a pony sold in the UK and not the US. I just want to put that out there, as rarity is relative to what's available in each place. For me, I'd have taken Powder in pretty much any condition and loved her for it if I had ever found even one at a carboot sale when I was younger. I have never in 34 years of pony collecting (childhood and adulthood) seen a Powder in the wild here. Not that that has any bearing on your decision - but just to underscore the fact that restoration is not about how common a pony is or isn't, but about the condition of the pony itself.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 03:16:53 AM »
Do you have any pictures of her?

Like others have said, ultimately it's your decision and some repairs do look better than the original if the hair is really bad.

Only thing I have an issue with personally is marks on hooves - it seems like defacing a pony. I would hope that sellers would be honest if it’s a repair (plus you can usually tell) and if not i’d check how the hair was woven in and take it up with the seller if it was sold as original but turned out to be a rehair.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 03:20:33 AM »

Only thing I have an issue with personally is marks on hooves - it seems like defacing a pony.

Removing original hair is also defacing the pony for people who do not collect rehairs - and it's those people who would get hurt by buying an undisclosed rehair. Rehairing affects the value of the pony as well.

There may be another way to indicate it without marking the hooves, but just in case someone else has to do the collection selling, disclosing it in a clear and honest way is the responsible thing. It shouldn't get to a point where a buyer should have to suspect a rehair and check that stuff. That would mean the buyer getting scammed because of a breakdown in communication, and that's something we should always work to avoid.

Basically, the moment you decide to restore a pony, the responsibility of that restoration, and making sure it's known about, rests with you.

It isn't a reason not to restore. But it shouldn't be undertaken lightly.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:23:52 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 03:25:05 AM »

Only thing I have an issue with personally is marks on hooves - it seems like defacing a pony.

Removing original hair is also defacing the pony for people who do not collect rehairs - and it's those people who would get hurt by buying an undisclosed rehair. Rehairing affects the value of the pony as well.

There may be another way to indicate it without marking the hooves, but just in case someone else has to do the collection selling, disclosing it in a clear and honest way is the responsible thing. It shouldn't get to a point where a buyer should have to suspect a rehair and check that stuff. That would mean the buyer getting scammed because of a breakdown in communication, and that's something we should always work to avoid.

Of course, I totally get what you mean and I think that’s a responsible selling idea but I just meant that I personally wouldn’t buy a rehair that has something written on the underneath of the foot just the same as I personally wouldn’t buy an original pony with a child’s initials written under the hoof. To me it just seems like damaging it even more, so that could be something that would affect the resale value further if other collectors are as picky as I am. 

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 03:32:39 AM »
Yep. I think there's a lot of personal preference involved here.

I personally would never buy a rehair, and if I bought a pony and it turned out to be an undisclosed rehair I would be reporting the seller, because to me that's a scam. We've also seen cases over the years where someone has innocently had a (usually Nirvana, as it's harder to tell with some of them) in their collection and sold it, only for the buyer to say it's a rehair and demand a refund and a nasty situation involving a lot of money ensues.

If you are willing to change any part of a pony, you need to be willing to disclose that fact so it can't change hands multiple times and mislead someone. In general the people who object to hoof marking don't see a problem with rehairs - but for me, I would be really upset to receive a rehair without any disclosure or indication of what it was. It is a doublestandard to be happy to take the original hair out but not happy to write on the hoof. To me these are the same thing, honestly. In fact, (and again personal opinion, not general judgement), in my collection, a mark on the hoof is a much smaller flaw  than anything relating to hair, and a rehair is essentially 50% custom, whereas a mark on the hoof is just a mark on the hoof. It doesn't take any part of the original pony away, it simply adds a minor part of mostly invisible damage (if the pony is standing up).

Maybe that makes me more picky. I dunno. But I stick by what I said. Not disclosing a rehair is asking for trouble along the line, as most people say they aren't selling it - but in fact it happens that they do a lot more than you'd think, and sometimes it's not them who are doing the selling.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:35:06 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SparkleSkye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
  • I have anxiety pls be nice to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 03:56:44 AM »
The majority of my collection has required some serious restoration and I absolutely intend to mark every pony on the inside of the neck seam, and if I sell any I would make very clear in the listing what has been restored on the pony.
Sparkleworks and Autumn Skye are girlfriends

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 04:16:16 AM »
The majority of my collection has required some serious restoration and I absolutely intend to mark every pony on the inside of the neck seam, and if I sell any I would make very clear in the listing what has been restored on the pony.

That’s such a good idea. I think buyers would much prefer that - it’s marked as a restoration but isn’t damaging the outward appearance of a pony with pen that can be seen.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 04:47:37 AM »
Rehairs never bother me personally because they are easy to undo and most of the time improve the hair quality so I often keep them as is. I rehair ponies with lots of damage or buzzcuts and it makes a big difference in ebay auctions. This way I keep selling G2s in bad condition because I update the mane and tail.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 05:30:01 PM »
I adore rehairs. Alternate, restorations, everything. If it makes your pony pretty again and makes you happy do it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal