collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hunting down 80's MLP Collectibles  (Read 700 times)

Offline caracallie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile
Hunting down 80's MLP Collectibles
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:54:37 PM »
Hey again, all!

Although I really like the vinyl toys and plushes from the G1 line, I've been hoping to set my eyes on similar G1 merchandise. I LOVE the design of the old ponies, so it seems like a fun way to find room decor! For reference, I mean items like this radio, animation cels, or this cute clock! Just cute, kitschy stuff rather than the actual toys.

Basically, I'm curious if you guys have any references for places to find collectibles and decor. I've tried ebay, and through a bunch of searches, I've basically found toys, weird party masks, and animation cels. A good start! But no variety.

To clarify: I am NOT asking for you guys to hunt for me! I just know that there may be sites similar to ponyology or avaneshop that may be outside my radar, and I love having new sites/locations to scour.

Thanks! <3

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting down 80's MLP Collectibles
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 10:53:08 PM »
I don’t think I can be very helpful, but sites other than Ebay where you can sometimes find pony merchandise are Etsy, eCrater, and Bonanza. Also, try posting a list of what you’re looking for on the Arena’s “Wanted!” page to see if anyone has what you’re looking for. Good luck finding your merch!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 11:47:02 PM »
eBay is a great place to find weird MLP things! Search patiently in categories other than the "MLP" section and you will find some gems.  I just bought a bunch of magazine(?) pages advertising MLP items, but with art I'd never seen before:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It's also awash in animation cels for MLP Tales.  Not for MLP & Friends or the two specials, sadly.  But hey, at least there's plenty for Tales fans to choose from!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 12:42:13 AM »
eBay is a great place to find weird MLP things! Search patiently in categories other than the "MLP" section and you will find some gems.  I just bought a bunch of magazine(?) pages advertising MLP items, but with art I'd never seen before:

I have some of those adverts! For Princess Ponies and Flutter Ponies I think...
To find stuff like that you have to be adventurous about your ebay searches though :)

Back on topic - to the OP, the clock you linked is a UK one. If you look you can actually see that it says Hasbro UK on it (even though Cupcake wasn't sold here). I have seen it come up on UK ebay a few times. It's heavy, though. I don't know your location, geographically, but you may need to think about shipping. There are also others in the same set - there's one with Bubbles, I think, and one other but I forget who it is.

They're also seriously LOUD. And there's a MLP tales plastic one as well that was also out here. There are two or three bigger wall clocks also...Blossom is on one. Raspberry Jam on another. I used to have that one MIP but I think I sold it. I am sure there's a third but can't remember which. My sister used to have one on her wall.

In the UK we also had a hanging mobile, that comes up on ebay sometimes as well.

Different countries had different kinds of merchandise. There are actually a lot of posters, wall friezes etc in the UK merchandise but they came as part of club packs and are notoriously difficult to find these days.

I would actually advise keeping an eye on places like this and maybe the TP as well for collectors selling things. The truth is that a lot of the stuff does actually come through ebay. In the past, it was really easy to pick up merch from second hand sales and I still see it occasionally at toy fairs, but not so much now. I sold a huge amount of merchandise that I picked up this way over the years but even so I still have a LOT remaining in my collection and I think other people do, too. So sometimes it's fellow collectors who've picked this stuff up and want to make space so pass it on.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 01:21:10 AM »
Thats a cool Dutch flyer, never seen that one over here or the set. I do remember the fanclub since I was a member back then :)
I think the flea market is also a good place to check out. Most of the time it was something from "the past" or "cleaning out the attic".

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 07:35:02 AM »
Lots of patience with collecting merch!  It's not the sort of thing that gets boxed up and labelled as "toys" - instead, little Jenny's umbrella gets stuffed further and further back into the cupboard until one day... 

But yeah, search everywhere - Ebay, local classifieds, Etsy, whatever... because the merch does show up, it's just very random. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline caracallie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 07:41:48 AM »
Thanks for all the tips,  you guys! I'll definitely check out those other websites!

Back on topic - to the OP, the clock you linked is a UK one. If you look you can actually see that it says Hasbro UK on it (even though Cupcake wasn't sold here). I have seen it come up on UK ebay a few times. It's heavy, though. I don't know your location, geographically, but you may need to think about shipping. There are also others in the same set - there's one with Bubbles, I think, and one other but I forget who it is.

Thanks for the tip! Although I think the clock is cute, I actually just looked it up as an example :) Those things are heavy, but so perfectly kitschy~

I would actually advise keeping an eye on places like this and maybe the TP as well for collectors selling things. The truth is that a lot of the stuff does actually come through ebay. In the past, it was really easy to pick up merch from second hand sales and I still see it occasionally at toy fairs, but not so much now. I sold a huge amount of merchandise that I picked up this way over the years but even so I still have a LOT remaining in my collection and I think other people do, too. So sometimes it's fellow collectors who've picked this stuff up and want to make space so pass it on.

That's so good to know! I've definitely gone through a couple different MLP searches on Ebay, but I have no doubt that I've missed quite a bit of vintage merch. I particularly like hearing about selling tendencies with second-hand stores/fairs, as it lets me know what to expect.

Again, thank you all for the advice! I'll definitely check out these new avenues and continue scouring Ebay's depths ;)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 07:44:51 AM »
What should we chuck into the search bar to get the best results? Should I sift through "Horse Girls Toy"?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 08:46:34 AM »
Also make sure to check different ebay sites for different countries!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 03:44:31 PM »
I'd say ebay still is your best bet, it's just going to be hard to sort through it.. because there isn't a TON of these things for sale, but they do pop up. So be persistent.

I hate using the term vintage, however it's probably the single best word to sort out some of the g4 stuff.

If you know what you are looking for, put the item in your search.
"Vintage My Little Pony Radio" etc (completed listings show the one you linked)

You can use the search "vintage my little pony" sort by newest listed, and ALL categories, not the default pre-1990s toys.

:P I see sticky notes, a tent, lots of mugs...
a really cool bow tie "pin badge button"...
a really creepy vintage skydancer costume . . . D:
really cool card board binder. place mats (both from Argentina)

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal