collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help! G3 Morning Glory prone to hair breakage?!  (Read 4573 times)

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
Re: Help! G3 Morning Glory prone to hair breakage?!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 07:06:55 AM »
Also the G3 TRU Exclusive pack that includes Princess Peppermint , all of those ponies have TERRIBLE hair.  It just breaks apart and dissolves....  :(

Oh no! I haven't had that happen with mine... yet. So many g3s have this problem!

I also remember finding a Peachie Keen at the flea market who had lost all her tail except for the tinsel.

Post Merge: June 23, 2018, 07:08:37 AM

Is the tail hair breaking off too?  I wonder if they used a glue in the mane stitching that's breaking down the mane hair, which would leave the tail hair unaffected.   

It really makes me scared to even touch my G3 collection anymore, let alone think about what it'll look like in another 10 years!

The tail is fine - that shade of dark orange wasn't used in the tail. I wonder if the glue did trickle down into the lowest section of her mane? It's a possibility.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:08:37 AM by otocolobus_manul »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline cookifaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • My real pony is jealous of my vinyl ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 07:55:44 AM »
I've never experienced anything like this with any of my ponies before, how strange!

My Morning Glory's hair is perfectly intact (i even tugged it to see if it would snap and it did't), and shes been exposed to the elements over and over again.

Maybe she's come into contact with chemicals that no-ones noticed, and they'e damaged the hair fibers to the point of snapping when you washed them?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 08:15:32 AM »
I just remember, with my Princess Peppermint,  as I was untangling the bits of plastic floss that keep G3 hair sewn up into those strips, the whole plastic strip came off in my hand.  WITH PONY HAIR ATTACHED.  and when I tried to gather up the hairs to put them into a ziptie, the strands just kept snapping and twisting into shorter and shorter split ends that couldn't be used.  She had a few plugs of hair left but it was really really sparse and if you tried to brush them, the hair fell apart. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 05:56:39 PM »
I am so sorry to see that her hair has broken off! I haven’t seen that happen on her either. It could be sun exposure, but if she seems generally bright and not faded, it could be a bad batch. I’ve had issues with jade garden: she has easily wrecked (looks like Pom poms on the ends) hair and I had both with this issue. Last week I found a jade garden with the loveliest hair, super silky and beautiful. I feel like there is good and bad hair, especially with the later g3s and core 7 pinkie and star song. However I also have a very faded honoluloo who’s hair has never broken off, suggesting that the sun isn’t always the only cause of this.

I've never actually heard of pony hair rotting or anything like that!  :shocked: can someone inform me more about this please?

On some g3s, they have bad quality hair that is prone to drying out and becoming brittle, and it usually falls off when touched or pinched. Ponies with this issue include:
Spoiler
Green Apple, Peach Surprise (orange stripes), Jazz Matazz (pink stripes), Tea Lily (pink stripes), wave catcher (orange stripes), sunrise

Personally, I’d be careful with any matte/less shiny than usual looking pink or orange hair. I have had the following ponies have their hair break off:
petal blossom, rainbow flash (pink and orange), frilly frocks (light pink), fancy flora (pink) on the affected hair I often see little white dots and thin white strings on the strand (don’t know what they are though!)

Re: sweet summertime
Spoiler
In 2008, a few 2005, many 2006, and some 2007 ponies were re released with no hoof hearts or magnets, just a white cover. I believe that this is where her other name came from. I’m sure that on the re release encyclopaedia, there was an mib picture of her with the box saying sweet Summertime. This was a 2008 release, With the white cover.  I assume that almost all of these no magnet variants were sold in the U.K. (not only here though) as I have seen most of them pop up and own quite a few. I don’t know where else they were sold though. This version may be less common (loose and mib because she was released the year before these versions came out, so her original was probably sat on the shelves before the new one could get to a lot of stores

Hope this is helpful,
Mlp Sunsparkle :)

Is there any known solution to fix or prevent this from happening or is it just one of those things that is unpreventable?

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 08:45:56 PM »
I checked the ponies mentioned outside of the avons and found none of mine have the problem. Silky, sturdy, still attatched.

I'm starting to wonder if the problem might be a matter of hydration? Even my Sunset who I just adore who has been seen to loose her hair still has hers very sturdy and silky. Back when G3's were still available I deep conditioned and styled every pony I got into my collection. The pony of the day here at the arena also spurns me to pull ponies from my collection and check their condition for photoshoots.

I will say I'm disappointed this problem isn't exclusive to the avon set and is showing up elsewhere. It's making me a bit worried about their longevity for collective purposes.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 09:23:19 PM »
My Princess Peppermint is okay so far, but I'm scared for her.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 11:52:51 PM »
I don't have those ponies yet and the ones I have don't seem to have this issue. I really hope this is not a potential problem for all G3s under certain conditions. I might have another look at them all when I come back home, you made me worried. ^^
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 12:51:25 AM »
Could it just have been something that happened with play?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 05:28:56 AM »
I wonder if it could also be a batch issue, since some people are saying they see issues on certain ponies while other people’s ponies are fine. Could be a question of one factory using cheaper hair. Could also be an age/play issue - I’ve had the odd G1 come to me with hair so dried out that it fell out as soon as I touched it.

In my own collection the only ponies I’ve seen problems with are the Avon and discount ponies with that rotting pink. However, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this start to happen with the newer G4s as well, since they’ve cheaper out on the hair with some of those.

Elf

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 07:15:39 AM »
I had a gen 3, I have to find her, she is now a blond rehair, her hair rotted away the moment I found them at the thrift store. I dont know if it was due to hair spray, or just plain rot. She was one bald pony, after a bath.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 03:37:13 PM »
Also the G3 TRU Exclusive pack that includes Princess Peppermint , all of those ponies have TERRIBLE hair.  It just breaks apart and dissolves....  :( 

I have that set and (touch wood) none of them have any issues. But I am slightly worried that this is the future of the G3 ponies in general. I had the set from the US, from a friend who picked them up new for me, so I've had them a while but while she deboxed them to send them to me, they've only been displayed and stored...

@MlpSunsparkle, thank you for that, learn something new every day :D Never ever saw that here once. Although I feel like I had Morning Glory once, I don't have her now - but she was definitely Morning Glory on the box.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SilverLinedStars

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2018, 04:55:17 PM »
I had this issue with Peachy Keen and a purple baby G3 who's name currently escapes me. The thing was, at the time the ponies weren't even that old. I noticed this issue back in 2012, so it's not like these sat around in poor conditions for 15 years. As many others have said, it could have been a batch issue. I just remember going to tidy things up one day and all the sudden I had a handful of pink hair!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »
What's more worrisome is that many of these G3's have had easy lives - they've been collector pieces since they were bought in the store, not exposed to countless hours of kid play.  That they're already exhibiting chronic issues under near ideal conditions points not to environmental factors but more likely an inherent manufacturing flaw.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2018, 03:39:44 AM »
I am wondering if these issues are worse or better on ponies in different regions. G3 is not like g1 where most stuff came to the US first so it may be that they cut costs on later batches and those could show up anywhere.

Climate also may be an issue but seems less that than bad batches. I ask about regions because the US release often bundled up ponies as freebies in ways other places didn't. Could some of the quality issues relate to this??

The discount release ponies were also only US I think so it makes you wonder if sone of them were made on the cheap to maximise profit through multipack offers.

It can be hard when finding a loose pony to know the release unless there is a major difference. I haven't had any of these hair issues yet although I have ponies from both here and the US - but none of mine came from bundled multipacks...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:42:31 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2018, 08:51:57 AM »
Poor morning glory shes so cute. I have to watch out for signs of this it makes me sad.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal