collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help! G3 Morning Glory prone to hair breakage?!  (Read 4568 times)

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
Help! G3 Morning Glory prone to hair breakage?!
« on: June 21, 2018, 05:05:20 PM »
I finally got the time to be able to start cleaning my Fair ponies, and as I was washing Morning Glory's hair, to my horror, I looked down and saw that the entire botttom third of her mane had come off in my hands.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:wail: :wail: :wail: :wail: :wail: :wail: :wail:

I've never heard of a non-Avon pony having this issue before! In all my years of cleaning G3s from various sources, I've never had this happen. Are there any other ponies - besides the usual Avon offenders - that have this issue? I'm terrified to clean the rest of my G3s in case it happens again.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a pony hair-clogged drain to clean  :pout:
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
Re: Help! G3 Morning Glory prone to hair breakage?!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 05:07:50 PM »
Well, I heard of rotting pink which is a sort of magenta pink that does just that, but I don't know which ponies in particular have it. =/ I'm sorry for you. :(
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 05:13:09 PM »
I haven't heard it for this pony either. I just checked my list to see if I have her and I don't so I can't really comment on whether it happens or not...but I've never had a G3 pony with hair breakage. I know about the Avon ones and some of the discount ones but not mainstream ones like this? I have had ponies who have had hair breakage because of product left in their hair making it brittle, though. Is it consistently one colour that's rotted or could it be this?

Also wondering why the Wiki says this pony is called Sweet Summertime outside the US, when she's not...O.o.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 05:27:15 PM »
I haven't heard it for this pony either. I just checked my list to see if I have her and I don't so I can't really comment on whether it happens or not...but I've never had a G3 pony with hair breakage. I know about the Avon ones and some of the discount ones but not mainstream ones like this? I have had ponies who have had hair breakage because of product left in their hair making it brittle, though. Is it consistently one colour that's rotted or could it be this?

Also wondering why the Wiki says this pony is called Sweet Summertime outside the US, when she's not...O.o.

It was the dark orange that broke off :( I wonder if that color is prone to rotting?

Huh, product being left in is a possibility. I really can't think of what else would've caused this.

Offline Matcha

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • pony deviantart!!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 06:00:10 PM »
I've had this happen to a pair of G3s stored in a glass cabinet for a couple of years, might be light exposure that does this? Both their hair is super break-y ): Or maybe the heat? I do live in a pretty hot and humid country...

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 06:23:48 PM »
Oh no! My Morning Glory is one of my favorite G3s I own, I hope this never happens to her! I had also heard of this issue happening to more budget ponies, like the ones just sold on cards as opposed to in boxes, but I've never heard of it happening to ones like this before, oh dear.

*clings tightly to my Morning Glory*

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 07:25:51 PM »
I've had this happen to a pair of G3s stored in a glass cabinet for a couple of years, might be light exposure that does this? Both their hair is super break-y ): Or maybe the heat? I do live in a pretty hot and humid country...

Do you happen to remember which ones? Did they have dark orange hair?

Offline Matcha

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • pony deviantart!!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 09:12:53 PM »

Do you happen to remember which ones? Did they have dark orange hair?
Nope, it was I wish I may and Starsong.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 11:16:59 PM »

I think what they're saying is she was released once under her own name, then rereleased later under the name Sweet Summertime in some countries.  Possibly with the "beach" playset that Sweet Summertime came in in the US.

I googled around a bit and found this TP thread mentioning it:

http://www.mlptp.net/index.php?threads/sweet-summertime.68656/

It had links to other threads about Morning Glory / Sweet Summertime but unfortunately the links are broken.  But judging from the names of the links (38343-sweet-summertime-morning-glory.html and 11489-factory-error-sweet-summertime-playset.html ) I am guessing that the "misnaming" did happen.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 12:22:28 AM »

I think what they're saying is she was released once under her own name, then rereleased later under the name Sweet Summertime in some countries.  Possibly with the "beach" playset that Sweet Summertime came in in the US.

I googled around a bit and found this TP thread mentioning it:

http://www.mlptp.net/index.php?threads/sweet-summertime.68656/

It had links to other threads about Morning Glory / Sweet Summertime but unfortunately the links are broken.  But judging from the names of the links (38343-sweet-summertime-morning-glory.html and 11489-factory-error-sweet-summertime-playset.html ) I am guessing that the "misnaming" did happen.

The distinction between US and International is an annoyingly vague one. It doesn't specify where in the big wide rest of the non-US world this happened.

I guess the point I was making was not that there couldn't ever have been a factory error, but you can't just say in some random vague international place this happened, without any real images or concrete proof to back it up.  I remember Morning Glory being sold here as Morning Glory.

I am categorically against sweeping assumptions being made about things in "international" locations.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 12:32:51 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 07:07:13 AM »
Unfortunately a lot of G3 sources have disappeared off the internet.  :(   The My Little Pony Rereleases Encyclopedia is no longer with us, but The Wayback Machine shows it having an entry for Sweet Summertime and Sweet Summertime II, which given the other piecemeal info, is presumably the pony otherwise known as Morning Glory.  Unfortunately The Wayback Machine did not preserve the pages for individual ponies, they are just broken links now.  :(

We should cling to the information we have even, if it's not precise, so that it's not totally lost.  It's really regrettable to think that we have better information on how G1 ponies were released than G3s.  (Because between being rereleased in double packs, playsets, triple sets, Costco sets, they were all over the place.)  I think we all just assumed the websites that were cataloging them would be around forever.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 10:41:55 AM »
I've never actually heard of pony hair rotting or anything like that!  :shocked: can someone inform me more about this please?

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Sparkles are great, but Sunsparkles are better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 11:07:58 AM »
I am so sorry to see that her hair has broken off! I haven’t seen that happen on her either. It could be sun exposure, but if she seems generally bright and not faded, it could be a bad batch. I’ve had issues with jade garden: she has easily wrecked (looks like Pom poms on the ends) hair and I had both with this issue. Last week I found a jade garden with the loveliest hair, super silky and beautiful. I feel like there is good and bad hair, especially with the later g3s and core 7 pinkie and star song. However I also have a very faded honoluloo who’s hair has never broken off, suggesting that the sun isn’t always the only cause of this.

I've never actually heard of pony hair rotting or anything like that!  :shocked: can someone inform me more about this please?

On some g3s, they have bad quality hair that is prone to drying out and becoming brittle, and it usually falls off when touched or pinched. Ponies with this issue include:
Spoiler
Green Apple, Peach Surprise (orange stripes), Jazz Matazz (pink stripes), Tea Lily (pink stripes), wave catcher (orange stripes), sunrise

Personally, I’d be careful with any matte/less shiny than usual looking pink or orange hair. I have had the following ponies have their hair break off:
petal blossom, rainbow flash (pink and orange), frilly frocks (light pink), fancy flora (pink) on the affected hair I often see little white dots and thin white strings on the strand (don’t know what they are though!)

Re: sweet summertime
Spoiler
In 2008, a few 2005, many 2006, and some 2007 ponies were re released with no hoof hearts or magnets, just a white cover. I believe that this is where her other name came from. I’m sure that on the re release encyclopaedia, there was an mib picture of her with the box saying sweet Summertime. This was a 2008 release, With the white cover.  I assume that almost all of these no magnet variants were sold in the U.K. (not only here though) as I have seen most of them pop up and own quite a few. I don’t know where else they were sold though. This version may be less common (loose and mib because she was released the year before these versions came out, so her original was probably sat on the shelves before the new one could get to a lot of stores

Hope this is helpful,
Mlp Sunsparkle :)

Sig made by: Sapphire Rain
Instagram: mlp_sunsparkle

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 01:09:18 PM »
Is the tail hair breaking off too?  I wonder if they used a glue in the mane stitching that's breaking down the mane hair, which would leave the tail hair unaffected.   

It really makes me scared to even touch my G3 collection anymore, let alone think about what it'll look like in another 10 years!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 01:19:28 PM »
Also the G3 TRU Exclusive pack that includes Princess Peppermint , all of those ponies have TERRIBLE hair.  It just breaks apart and dissolves....  :( 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal