collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Baby Applejack with yellow apples?  (Read 6186 times)

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Baby Applejack with yellow apples?
« on: June 21, 2018, 02:16:39 PM »
Soo... I spotted a G1 baby Applejack with yellow apples stamped Hong Kong on sale (before you get excited, the seller asks 200€ for her), and got curious as I had never seen this kind of variation. It seems any G1 info sites either don't acknowledge a variation like this! The colour does not imply certain fading: I found two images of a paler symbol baby Applejack, but the faded color was still obviously an orange. This is a bright yellow. The eyes are blue as well, wich might be fading or not, and the body tone is paler. Even if it is faded, she has a whole new color scheme compared to the original.
 I'm not planning on buying it or anything, I'm just very curious. Does anyone know more about this odd variant, if she is one? Where does it originate from or is it a factory error? Maybe fading, or maybe one of a kind oddity? Maybe even a very rare variant like the Thai Mountain boys?

I can link the Instagram post if it is allowed later.
 https://www.instagram.com/p/BjkxDjRAQ39/
Here is the link, the pony is on the second image and forward. It is also sold by a long term collector wich, along with the symbols color and it being same color on both side and the bright blue eyes, makes me doubt it would be fading. The collector selling it has a huge collection, even mint on card nirvanas, so the person who came to conclusion it's a variant is a very experienced now former collector himself.
Edit: It might be fading or a variant. I would not close either chances.
Nonethless, it is a rather unique pony. I have not seen baby Applejacks with symbols that have faded to bright yellow instead of a more pale orange, AND eyes faded to a shade of turqoise AND a body faded to lighter tone.
Edit 2: after better images of the pony being added and long discussion, the possibilities are 60/50 on fading or error/variant.
Edit 3: If the images we are promised to get by monday don't change the direction of this mystery, she is almost certainly merely faded. A very beautifuly faded one, may I add.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:14:24 AM by CinnamonOnions »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Baby Applejack with yellow apples?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 02:20:22 PM »
My guess would be fading.  I think you were wise not to pay 200 euros for her, LOL!  Instagram pics / links are allowed here. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 02:55:44 PM »
Soo... I spotted a G1 baby Applejack with yellow apples stamped Hong Kong on sale (before you get excited, the seller asks 200€ for her), and got curious as I had never heard of this variation. It seems any G1 info sites either don't acknowledge she exists! I found two images of a paler symbol baby Applejack, but none of one with certainly yellow apples. Nothing at all.
 I'm not planning on buying it or anything, I'm just very curious. Does anyone know more about this odd variant? Where does it originate from or is it a factory error? Is this one of a kind even? Maybe a very rare variant like the Thai Mountain boys?
 The seller had comparison images, and  the yellow apple one was also more pale on body color and I think had blue eyes! How strange!

Not strange at all, if the pony is faded from UV light.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 02:58:10 PM »
My guess would be fading.  I think you were wise not to pay 200 euros for her, LOL!  Instagram pics / links are allowed here. :)

It's actualy definetly not fading. The pony has blue eyes as well if I'm not seeing things and the symbol is nowhere near orange + the symbols are in good condition. I already said in the post I am not going to buy her, I'm more of curious.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 03:09:31 PM »
Lots of Cotton Candys have blue eyes, despite being purple at the beginning. This has been confirmed to not be a variant (in most cases), and to instead be due to the behavior of the red pigment. Red is much more sensitive to UV light, so it breaks down very quickly. Yellow is not as sensitive, therefore the symbols look yellow without any damage or smudges to the paint.
I'm still inclined to believe it is due to fading for this reason, but I'd still love to see photos if you can provide them later.  :)

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »
Soo... I spotted a G1 baby Applejack with yellow apples stamped Hong Kong on sale (before you get excited, the seller asks 200€ for her), and got curious as I had never heard of this variation. It seems any G1 info sites either don't acknowledge she exists! I found two images of a paler symbol baby Applejack, but none of one with certainly yellow apples. Nothing at all.
 I'm not planning on buying it or anything, I'm just very curious. Does anyone know more about this odd variant? Where does it originate from or is it a factory error? Is this one of a kind even? Maybe a very rare variant like the Thai Mountain boys?
 The seller had comparison images, and  the yellow apple one was also more pale on body color and I think had blue eyes! How strange!

Not strange at all, if the pony is faded from UV light.
I don't think uv light changes the eye color too.. with images I linked the difference is easier to understand. An age old custom on the other hand is a more possible normal explanation.

Post Merge: June 21, 2018, 03:14:56 PM

Lots of Cotton Candys have blue eyes, despite being purple at the beginning. This has been confirmed to not be a variant (in most cases), and to instead be due to the behavior of the red pigment. Red is much more sensitive to UV light, so it breaks down very quickly. Yellow is not as sensitive, therefore the symbols look yellow without any damage or smudges to the paint.
I'm still inclined to believe it is due to fading for this reason, but I'd still love to see photos if you can provide them later.  :)
I see! Thank you. :o In this case the eye colour change would be from darker green to dark turqoise, wich sounds odd to me.
I added a link, the symbols are bright yellow on both sides wich is a bit shady. Even if it is fading, I've never seen one with this obviously a whole other colour as the result.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:14:56 PM by CinnamonOnions »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 03:25:12 PM »
I see! Thank you. :o In this case the eye colour change would be from darker green to dark turqoise, wich sounds odd to me.
I added a link, the symbols are bright yellow on both sides wich is a bit shady. Even if it is fading, I've never seen one with this obviously a whole other colour as the result.
Checked out the photos, the lighting does make it harder to make out, but it does look very interesting! I've seen Baby Blossoms fade to complete white without any blotchiness or unevenness on the sides.
In spoiler:
Spoiler

If she were left out or used primarily as an outdoor toy, that would explain why it's yellow on both. That would be cool if it were a new variant, still! Maybe there's a few others floating around to help explain this one.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 03:30:49 PM »
Checked out the photos, the lighting does make it harder to make out, but it does look very interesting! I've seen Baby Blossoms fade to complete white without any blotchiness or unevenness on the sides.
In spoiler:
Spoiler

If she were left out or used primarily as an outdoor toy, that would explain why it's yellow on both. That would be cool if it were a new variant, still! Maybe there's a few others floating around to help explain this one.
Thank you for providing images. :) I think the Blossom is more obviously still a Blossom and has hints of it's original shades.
The Applejack is a mystery indeed, sad that the seller does not have a very good english so I can't ask where did he get it from! It might be faded and it might be a variant, unique either way.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 03:36:44 PM »
She looks cute with the yellow apples for sure!  Golden delicious Applejack, ha ha.  I still think fading of the symbol due to UV rays (sunlight) is the cause.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »
She looks cute with the yellow apples for sure!  Golden delicious Applejack, ha ha.  I still think fading of the symbol due to UV rays (sunlight) is the cause.
It is definetly a possibility when you stare at the situation for a good hour. Especialy when regular Applejack seems to rarely have the same thing going on. :blink:
She could also be a very well made custom?

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 03:50:32 PM »
Hmm... Here is what I notice (without drawing conclusions for now).

Body
The body is slightly paler than a regular baby AJ. The head looks slightly darker but I'm not sure. Some parts of the vinyl are noticeably lighter than others, not caused by lighting, for example the pointy parts of the backs of the hind legs and other areas that would stick out.

Hair
Looks ordinary? Possibly slightly lighter, not sure.

Symbols
Of course, the apples are yellow. They look to be fairly pale, not saturated like the usual red, and don't have the sheen of regular G1 paint. Also, the paint looks fairly thin if I'm not mistaken. The green tops look more blue than regular. They almost have a white outline though I'm not sure.

Eyes
All looks right, except the color. The color of the eyes is more blue than green.

Overall, she looks slightly more banged up than the real one shown in the photos. Not too much of a difference though.

Now, there are many possible explanations, some more likely than others. For example, she could be a custom, she could be faded, she could be an error or a variant. For the custom possibility, we can probably rule that out as she wasn't sign or marked in any way that we can tell, and it looks like her symbols are factory because of the placement, size, and accuracy. It would be unlikely that she is a variant or error, as none others have been found or described or just talked about that at least I know of (but I haven't been in the pony community for that long!)

Now, the possibility of fading. Ponies have been known to fade evenly, like the Blossom tailrustedtealeaf showed. Some ponies can have just their paint fade, some just their symbols fade, and other things like this as you probably know :) It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for this Baby AJ to have faded. After all, her symbols had red, the color that fades the fastest, out of her symbols. If they were to fade, a light warm color would be left, which has happened. Her body and hair are also lighter than usual. Her eye color is a different color than usual. The paint has a different sheen. All of the observations I have made point to fading. I think it's safe to say that she is just faded ;) After all, fading is common ponies!

She looks very cute though! I'm tempted to make an OC or something inspired by her...

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 04:26:41 PM »
Hmm... Here is what I notice (without drawing conclusions for now).

Body
The body is slightly paler than a regular baby AJ. The head looks slightly darker but I'm not sure. Some parts of the vinyl are noticeably lighter than others, not caused by lighting, for example the pointy parts of the backs of the hind legs and other areas that would stick out.

Hair
Looks ordinary? Possibly slightly lighter, not sure.

Symbols
Of course, the apples are yellow. They look to be fairly pale, not saturated like the usual red, and don't have the sheen of regular G1 paint. Also, the paint looks fairly thin if I'm not mistaken. The green tops look more blue than regular. They almost have a white outline though I'm not sure.

Eyes
All looks right, except the color. The color of the eyes is more blue than green.

Overall, she looks slightly more banged up than the real one shown in the photos. Not too much of a difference though.

Now, there are many possible explanations, some more likely than others. For example, she could be a custom, she could be faded, she could be an error or a variant. For the custom possibility, we can probably rule that out as she wasn't sign or marked in any way that we can tell, and it looks like her symbols are factory because of the placement, size, and accuracy. It would be unlikely that she is a variant or error, as none others have been found or described or just talked about that at least I know of (but I haven't been in the pony community for that long!)

Now, the possibility of fading. Ponies have been known to fade evenly, like the Blossom tailrustedtealeaf showed. Some ponies can have just their paint fade, some just their symbols fade, and other things like this as you probably know :) It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for this Baby AJ to have faded. After all, her symbols had red, the color that fades the fastest, out of her symbols. If they were to fade, a light warm color would be left, which has happened. Her body and hair are also lighter than usual. Her eye color is a different color than usual. The paint has a different sheen. All of the observations I have made point to fading. I think it's safe to say that she is just faded ;) After all, fading is common ponies!

She looks very cute though! I'm tempted to make an OC or something inspired by her...

I agree it's hard to tell if her body tone is smoothly the same or has different shades in head and body.
Thank you for notifying, I didn't notice these though!

Yep? The hair looks definetly normal. Then again, Applejacks hair tone is not the type to fade easily.

I noticed the outline too. The apples 'green' parts look the most likely to be simply faded, they might be just light green.

Yep. Though I think some faded Applejacks, adult and babies, have turqoise eyes?

True.

I agree with the all possibilities. While fading is the most common possibility, it rarely especialy on baby Applejacks reaches this point.
That is a good point! So custom is out.
Indeed, I have neither seen others like this mentioned. I haven't even seen this faded baby Applejacks surface, wich makes the situation a bit more complicated.

Actualy I haven't yet faced other than the usual body tones slight changes and the fading pink shades so I've never needed to research.
True indeed! Wich makes it kind of surprising other Baby Applejacks seem to have their symbols fade closer to their body tones color.
Fading is definetly a chance. But even for a merely flawed one, she looks surprisingly unique and beautifuly faded. :)  thank you for your opinion and careful examination on the case.

She is indeed cute!

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »
It's a french collector, I know her username from a french forum. I may ask in there if someone remember that particular baby if you want.

Edit: She speaked about her variant in the french forum and said she didn't think after close inspection it was a sunfade one because she firstly bet on this.
Here's the pictures she posted back in 2015 of "the pony"
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 04:45:44 PM by ColdRuru »

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 05:25:17 PM »
I've seen a lot of Baby AJs over the years and I have seen ones with faded or paler colouring, just like with adult. I don't know about this one, though. It is a bit more extreme.

I am...cautious to call it a variant, but not really willing to totally rule it out. I have a Baby Ember who is clearly lavender ember but is pretty much entirely greyI've also had Magic Stars with blue hair from sun fading as well. I don't like to put everything down to fading, but the eyes make me a bit uncomfortable.

The symbol would be more persuasive to me if the eyes were green still. Green fades to blue easily so that suggests her paler colours could be fading.

The one big difference between them is hair rooting which suggests they do belong to different batches. In which case, minor variations might have been accentuated by sunlight.

Baby Lemon Drop (Stroller version) comes in 2 variations re her symbol, lavender and a really dark reddish purple. I don't see why the same couldn't be true for Baby AJ.

My Baby AJ came to me from new but she sat on a shop shelf for ten years before I got her. Looking at her colouring in my photos, in my image her eyes look slightly less green than I remember them, but that could be the image. Which means it's hard to judge the colours from images on this as well.

The pony in ColdRuru's linked images also show her without a tail, and the original images show her with damage to one eye. That kind of implies a harder life (unless the tail was removed for cleaning) and a replacement tail possibly? Ponies who have wear also are more likely to show fading.

In any case, I think she's overpriced :/ There are few batch variations which fetch that kind of price difference o.O

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:29:18 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 05:32:33 PM »
She's got the matching Applejack : https://www.instagram.com/p/BixKrohg8Ed/?taken-by=lolipouxi_mlp as well.
For the price, I just take a look to her entire gallery and she's got ton of ponies, some are overpriced (to me) and some are ridiculously low priced (to me also) so it's the main problem with price: you never know. And also, it goes to the buyer to be ok with them in the end  ;)

Blog / Facebook Page

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal