collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Funny/strange backcard stories  (Read 5699 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Funny/strange backcard stories
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 07:35:28 AM »
Seeing that scan of the story Carrehz posted, I realised that the UK one DOES correct the hands issue. It still mentions mittens, but it says to keep them warm in the winter cold instead. So the UK understands that ponies don't have hands. But can still wear mittens.

....huh. Well, it's a step in the right direction, I suppose.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 07:37:43 AM »
Seeing that scan of the story Carrehz posted, I realised that the UK one DOES correct the hands issue. It still mentions mittens, but it says to keep them warm in the winter cold instead. So the UK understands that ponies don't have hands. But can still wear mittens.

....huh. Well, it's a step in the right direction, I suppose.

Seems a bit halfhearted to me. Like UK Hasbro was on the fence.

I sort of imagine a creative input meeting.

"Well, we can't have 'hands'. They don't have 'hands'."
"But can we have mittens?"
"I dunno. I mean, mittens don't have that many finger holes, do they?"
"Well, no, but...they do have thumb sections. And ponies don't have thumbs..."
"But we keep writing stories about them painting, eating and doing other stuff with hooves."
"Yes, but that's imagination!"
"So we can't imagine them with mittens?"
"But what about booties? They're for feet!"
"Ponies don'thave feet either. They have hooves."
"Horseshoes, then?"
"How would that keep them warm?"
"Well, then, horse booties."
"Yes, but mittens are cuter!"
"...Let's take a vote."

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 07:52:00 AM »
Dainty  and the Apple Delight family are ones I like to tell people about, especially non-g1 fans.

Apple Delight:
It was apple picking day in Ponyland! Daddy Apple Delight picked apples and gave them to Mommy Apple Delight to put in a basket. "I'm too little to reach the branches," said Baby Apple Delight, trying to reach an apple. Smiling at Baby Apple Delight, Daddy Apple Delight placed a leaf on the ground, and Mommy Apple Delight placed an apple on the leaf. When they blinked their eyes, the leaf and apple grew into a baby sized tree, filled with tiny red apples! "I can pick these apples!" laughed Baby Apple Delight, taking an apple from the little tree and placing it in the basket!

Dainty:
While waiting for a chocolate soda at the Satin Slipper Sweet Shoppe, Dainty noticed something was missing. "There are no flowers in here!" she thought. She blinked her eyes and suddenly, there were flowers everywhere! Ice cream cones burst into vases of violets, the soda fountain poured out a stream of rose petals, and a jar of cherries became the largest bouquet of pink carnations anyone had ever seen! Dainty smiled as she served everyone ice cream sundaes topped with daisies.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
Wow, I've never read the Surprise Newborns one  or the UK Sweet Kisses one before  :lol: 

I was just looking at more backcard stories and the US Fancy Pants babies ones are a little strange also. There's also another pony suddenly having hands. :lol:

All backcard stories copied from My Little Wiki
Baby Dots and Hearts

When the rain stopped, Baby Dots 'n Hearts ran outside to make mud pies in the dirt. When she finished playing, she wiped the mud from her hands and saw that her pants were covered with mud, too! Smiling, she wiggled her nose, and the muddy spots on her pants changed into little hearts and tiny dots! "It's so fun to play in the mud!" laughed Baby Dots 'n Hearts, running home to show off her new pants!

And I never get tired of Moondancer's US backcard story or Bubbles

Moondancer

Moondancer was sleeping peacefully. Awakening with a start, she found Twilight beside her. "Cotton Candy is missing!" said Twilight. "Have you seen her?" "Cotton Candy should go on a diet," yawned Moondancer. "She ate my favorite bluegrass and my prettiest wild flowers. I put her in hibernation until winter!" Twilight was stunned. "Free her from the spell, Moondancer. Her friends are worried!" "Is it winter already?" teased Moondancer. But she freed Cotton Candy from the spell and even called the West Wind to give her a ride home. 

Bubbles

Lemon Drop saw a strange, muddy pony galloping toward her from across the field. "My goodness, I think you need a bath!" she exclaimed as she poured her favorite bubble bath into the waterfall beside the stable. Soon bubbles were everywhere, twinkling in the sun and floating on the gentle breeze. "Perhaps I put in too much bubble bath," she thought. "Oh well, she really is very muddy." After much scrubbing a beautiful, yellow pony emerged from the bubbly water. "I'll call you Bubbles," said Lemon Drop. Bubbles just smiled. She had found a new friend. 

I love reading all of these. :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 11:49:43 AM »
What Khoufu's examples tell us is that blinking is extremely dangerous in Ponyland.

What US pony stories tell us is that US Hasbro don't understand equine anatomy.

What UK pony stories tell us is that UK Hasbro has questionable ideas of consistency and morality.

Also, in all cases, talking to or even bathing random strangers is perfectly acceptable.

Yay for Hasbro.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 12:06:19 PM »
I guess you could say Tiffany and the twins... needed a hand.

B]
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 01:09:38 PM »
Earth Ponies have blinking magic! Apple Delights, Dainty,  Chief, off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 01:11:55 PM »
Earth Ponies have blinking magic! Apple Delights, Dainty,  Chief, off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

Not just earth ponies. Twisty Tail has it, I think, but I am pretty sure Curly Locks also has one turning petals to ribbons. I think blinking magic is very common across ponyland.

Also nose twitching, which must be fun in hayfever season.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 03:22:03 PM »
SS Twilight can wiggle her ears

Copied from the Wiki

Welcome to my costume party!" Twilight greeted her guests, dressed like a movie star in a glamorous gown. "Who's that in the space suit?" Locket asked from behind a colorful clown mask. The ponies were having fun guessing the new arrivals and sipping punch when, suddenly, the lights went out! "Time for some midnight magic," Twilight giggled. She wiggled her ears and all the candles on the table flickered onto the floor. They danced a beautiful waltz as the punch bowl bubbled a merry tune. Delighted with the surprise, the ponies joined in for a midnight dance by candlelight!

:)

And some Earth ponies can fly  :what: From the wiki

"Strawberry, vanilla and chocolate chip, too! Satin Slipper Sweet Shoppe has sweet treats for you!" chanted Scoops happily as she got ready for opening day at the Satin Slipper Sweet Shoppe. She knew her pony friends always enjoyed her delicious ice cream desserts. But when she opened the door to the shop, no ponies were in sight! "They don't know the shop is open!" thought Scoops. Quickly, she flew high above the Satin Slipper Sweet Shoppe. She wove a ray of sunshine into the shape of an ice cream cone and rolled a fluffy, white cloud on top of the shining cone. As a final touch, she sprinkled rainbow dew on the cloud to make it sparkle like colorful candy sprinkles. The ponies saw the gigantic ice cream cone floating in the sky and eagerly followed it to the Satin Slipper Sweet Shoppe. "Roseberry ice cream with rainbow sprinkles, please!" cried North Star to Scoops. "A hot fudge sundae with strawberry ice cream for me, please," said Slugger. Kicking her heels with delight, Scoops created the delectible desserts and happily served them to the excited ponies. "Hooray for Scoops and the Satin Slipper Sweet Shoppe!" cried the ponies as they nibbled their sweet treats. They couldn't wait to see what tomorrow's ice cream special-of-the-day would be!

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:24:58 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 03:48:28 PM »
Growing up, I used to sneak to the local department store to read all the back card stories.  They were my "canon".  So, I basically thought all of the ponies were magical  (or insane) at a level no human could ever comprehend.  It didn't matter if they were Earth, Unicorn or Pegasus.  Their magic was insanely powerful and they could talk to and make friends with just about anything.  I kind of loved it.

Dusk was falling over the forest when Baby Moondancer donned her tutu and ballet slippers to practice her dance steps. "Extend and stretch," she remembered, just like her mother, Moondancer, taught her. Suddenly, she lost her balance and fell onto a bed of soft moss. "I'll never learn to dance like a real ballerina," she sighed.

Mr. Moon was watching Baby Moondancer pull herself to her feet. "Don't stop because of a little fall," the Moon urged. "I'll help you dance by casting my shadow on the ground where you should take each step." Baby Moondancer followed Mr. Moon's instructions. Soon she was pirouetting and swaying with ease.

While she danced, the wind quietly called Mother Moondancer to the forest. She was very proud indeed of her little ballerina.

Sunbeam had a wonderful idea. "It's time to have a party for all my friends," she thought. "I'll invite the sun, the clouds, the rainbow, and all of pony land. It will be a very special party."

Everyone came. The ponies feasted on wonderful food and danced until dark. Then the wind carried Firefly, Sunbeam, and Moondancer high above the castle. Soon beautiful colors danced across the sky - the fireworks had begun! All the ponies cheered and stamped their hoofs with glee. They had never seen anything like it. Sunbeam's party was a great success!

It was a very special day for Windy, the fastest of all the rainbow ponies. She was the winner of the annual Rainbow Race held at the Dream Castle. In celebration, Majesty had invited everyone to an ice cream party.

The party was held outside in the royal courtyard. Majesty started scooping out the many colorful flavors of ice cream just when Windy whistled in like a comet.

"I see something is missing!" Windy said to the sun. With a toss of her mane, she was gone on the wind, leaving a rainbow of light in her wake. She stopped in the strawberry patch and a pineapple grove and even gathered nectar from the flowers.

"These will make more than enough toppings for our ice cream sundaes!" she thought to herself. And with a wink of her eye, she rode the rainbow all the way back to the party. Her friends were delighted and they gave her the biggest serving of all!

On a cool rainy morning Starshine was ready for excitement. "I want to have some fun today!" she shouted to the dark giant rain clouds. Stamping her hoof impatiently on the ground, she pleaded, "Send me on a secret rainbow journey!" The clouds opened and a multi-colored beam of light swooped down to lift her up into the sky!

Traveling in the beautiful light, Starshine's rainbow-colored hair stretched out behind her like the tail of a shooting star. The light carried her on a special adventure to a land of enchantment and magic!

"Hi, Ho my brightly colored beauty!" shouted the Milky Way. Starshine winked at a comet and laughed with the man in the moon. By evening she was home again. "This has been a very exciting day indeed!" she thought as she gazed up at the sky. Twinkling down the stars whispered, "Come back again, Starshine!"

Posey was busily planting new rows of tulips in her garden when she spotted a fierce grey raincloud overhead. "The rain will wash away my newly planted tulip bulbs and ruin my garden." she sighed. Parasol, racing through the clouds in search of a rainbow, heard her plea. "Don't worry Posey." Parasol Shouted. Ï'll protect your tulips." Parasol jumped into the raincloud. She tossed her rainbow mane and tail and dozen of pretty parasols fell from the clouds to cover her tulip beds. "Thank you, Parasol" Posey said handing her friend a bouquet of her finest tulips.

Long ago on one warm and misty night, Twilight wanted to make a wish. Her keen eyes roamed the dark sky. "I do not see a single star to make a wish upon," she said as she reared and pointed her horn at the moon. "Oh, dear Moon, please bring out a star for me tonight." Suddenly, the sky was ablaze with light. Every single star that existed shone down on Twilight. "Make your wish quickly, Twilight!" boomed the Moon. Twilight wished that all the stars would shine so bright on that same night every year. Now all the ponies come out to make their own special wishes on these starry, starry nights.

Baby Glory stopped at the pond for a cool drink after a hard day at play. As she bent down, a shiny pebble bounced off her hoof and into the pond. The ripple it made was dazzling, growing larger as it spread out into the water. Suddenly, the pond stood very still. Baby Glory could see her reflection in the water. It was like looking into a mirror!

"Make a wish Baby Glory," the voice from the water whispered. She closed her eyes and said dreamily, "I wish for a special friend to ride with me through the clouds, catch falling stars and chase rainbows."

Because she believed in magic, Baby Glory knew that someday, her wish would come true.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 05:06:19 PM »
Why shouldn't earth ponies fly??

I am pretty sure Magic Star can fly.

I also know for certain that Sparkle Pony Sky Rocket can. Albeit she's clearly an adrenaline junkie as she flies on fireworks.

Also some unicorns can fly. Twirler flies around on giant records and Bouquet on a giant hat.

Of course I don't have the stories of these to hand so don't know if those are comic inventions but I seem to remember from childhood that Sky Rocket's story may have mentioned her flying.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 05:34:23 PM »
I didn’t realize that some Earth ponies  and unicorns can fly in the stories.  :blush:  I think a few stories mention unicorns resting on clouds.

I think all G1 ponies have some sort of magical ability.  :)

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:38:49 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 06:14:51 PM »
Dainty  and the Apple Delight family are ones I like to tell people about, especially non-g1 fans.

Apple Delight:
It was apple picking day in Ponyland! Daddy Apple Delight picked apples and gave them to Mommy Apple Delight to put in a basket. "I'm too little to reach the branches," said Baby Apple Delight, trying to reach an apple. Smiling at Baby Apple Delight, Daddy Apple Delight placed a leaf on the ground, and Mommy Apple Delight placed an apple on the leaf. When they blinked their eyes, the leaf and apple grew into a baby sized tree, filled with tiny red apples! "I can pick these apples!" laughed Baby Apple Delight, taking an apple from the little tree and placing it in the basket!

Dainty:
While waiting for a chocolate soda at the Satin Slipper Sweet Shoppe, Dainty noticed something was missing. "There are no flowers in here!" she thought. She blinked her eyes and suddenly, there were flowers everywhere! Ice cream cones burst into vases of violets, the soda fountain poured out a stream of rose petals, and a jar of cherries became the largest bouquet of pink carnations anyone had ever seen! Dainty smiled as she served everyone ice cream sundaes topped with daisies.

But where do the flowers come from? I suspect that is why sometimes our flowers vanish overnight.

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2018, 09:21:43 PM »
I don't have the story on hand, but I think Baby Countdown got bored one day and broke a sunbeam up and used it to build a rocket ship and actually flew it to space.

Rah-rah for immaterial items? I have super no idea.
There's lots of interesting ones here I have not read though! I'm so glad for everyone posting these. Some are nearly nonsense, while others like Apple Delight's insta-tree are more 'plausible' tame magic that makes a bit more sense.

I think Hopscotch is also a weird one?
Like she has a counting compulsion and hops literally everywhere?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 01:58:29 PM »
It's certainly in Hopscotch's factfile story that she hop skip jumps everywhere. I don't know if it's on her backcard, as they're not always the same.

I did notice that Hasbro UK spread their bullying of UK children to later pony releases as well.

Sugar Sweet's story features Lemon Treats. Lemon Treats wasn't officially part of the UK line and she's not on the box for the Candy Canes. We DID get her, but only because Woolworths imported the US set. Otherwise there'd have been a lot of confused kids.

And today I discovered that MGR Tassels' story also includes Sparkler. We didn't get EITHER pony called Sparkler in the UK, and those were NOT imported.

...Hasbro. THINK about your stories. Please.

I remember with the Crimp and Curl Hair Salon, they changed the names of the US ponies (I think Taffy was one) to the Party/TAF ponies so it made sense on the insert story. But the Perfume Puff Palace they genuinely didn't care...I am pretty sure Princess Dawn (?) appears on that and they didn't change that out either.

Hasbro UK. Mean people.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 02:00:27 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal