Pony Talk > Pony Corral

Deflocking damaged so softs with goo gone?

(1/4) > >>

SparkleSkye:
Acetone can only go so far, and jasco scares me too much to go near. Has anyone tried deflocking damaged so softs with a product like goo gone? Their website claims its safe on paint and plastic, so I think its worth a try. But asking for others' experiences first before trying it myself seemed the best plan.

RoseNoire:
I never deflocked  a pony, but isn't is as simple as scrubbing them a lot with soap and hot water (to loosen the glue) ? Sure, it must be time consuming, but what's not time consuming in pony restoration with a good and safe result ? :lol:

SparkleSkye:
It depends on the glue. The ponies I'm working on right now have very yellowed glue and flocking that just can't be allowed to stay, and hot water and scrubbing can get most of the flocking off but the glue is far more stubborn. Scrubbing with my fingernail with near boiling water in one spot still can't remove all of the glue, and the difference in color between the areas cleaned with acetone and the areas near symbols that have just gotten hot water and scrubbing is very obvious to me.

tailrustedtealeaf:
It's worth a try, but Goo Gone hasn't removed paint or marks that acetone would have removed. I doubt it would work too well, it's better for mysterious sticky substances rather than old glue. It wouldn't hurt the pony, exactly, so if you have it on hand you may as well try it!

BlushingBlue:
I don't know about Goo Gone, but you can use plain old isopropyl alcohol to remove flocking glue around symbols/eyes without damage. It will only start budging the paint if you scrub super hard with it, and as a bonus, it's cheaper and less toxic than using a name-brand petroleum distillate. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version