collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Deflocking damaged so softs with goo gone?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline SparkleSkye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
  • I have anxiety pls be nice to me
    • View Profile
Deflocking damaged so softs with goo gone?
« on: June 19, 2018, 06:33:35 AM »
Acetone can only go so far, and jasco scares me too much to go near. Has anyone tried deflocking damaged so softs with a product like goo gone? Their website claims its safe on paint and plastic, so I think its worth a try. But asking for others' experiences first before trying it myself seemed the best plan.
Sparkleworks and Autumn Skye are girlfriends

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
Re: Deflocking damaged so softs with goo gone?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 09:15:06 AM »
I never deflocked  a pony, but isn't is as simple as scrubbing them a lot with soap and hot water (to loosen the glue) ? Sure, it must be time consuming, but what's not time consuming in pony restoration with a good and safe result ? :lol:
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline SparkleSkye

• Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »
It depends on the glue. The ponies I'm working on right now have very yellowed glue and flocking that just can't be allowed to stay, and hot water and scrubbing can get most of the flocking off but the glue is far more stubborn. Scrubbing with my fingernail with near boiling water in one spot still can't remove all of the glue, and the difference in color between the areas cleaned with acetone and the areas near symbols that have just gotten hot water and scrubbing is very obvious to me.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 10:45:08 AM »
It's worth a try, but Goo Gone hasn't removed paint or marks that acetone would have removed. I doubt it would work too well, it's better for mysterious sticky substances rather than old glue. It wouldn't hurt the pony, exactly, so if you have it on hand you may as well try it!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 12:11:48 PM »
I don't know about Goo Gone, but you can use plain old isopropyl alcohol to remove flocking glue around symbols/eyes without damage. It will only start budging the paint if you scrub super hard with it, and as a bonus, it's cheaper and less toxic than using a name-brand petroleum distillate. :)

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 01:10:22 PM »
Hmmmm I don't think it would hurt
I don't know about Goo Gone, but you can use plain old isopropyl alcohol to remove flocking glue around symbols/eyes without damage. It will only start budging the paint if you scrub super hard with it, and as a bonus, it's cheaper and less toxic than using a name-brand petroleum distillate. :)

A LOT of products in everyday life come from petroleum distillate.  :)

I don't think it'll hurt the paint... but I also don't think it will remove the glue. 

Try the isopropyl in an eyedropper and maybe use a popsicle stick to scrub at the glue bit by bit?  I do recall I had to use a LOT of acetone on stuff like wings when I was deflocking.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline SparkleSkye

• Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 01:20:08 PM »
The acetone is the only thing I've had sucess with, I just cant use it on or around symbols
 I already accidentally removed most of wind whistler's cutie marks that way   :yikes: :yikes: she was in more or less bait condition anyway so its not like I ruined a good pony at least

The rubbing alchohol hasnt worked well for me, beingabout as effective as hot water and only removing the flocking but not the glue. Maybe I'm not using enough or scrubbing hard enough?

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »
The acetone is the only thing I've had sucess with, I just cant use it on or around symbols
 I already accidentally removed most of wind whistler's cutie marks that way   :yikes: :yikes: she was in more or less bait condition anyway so its not like I ruined a good pony at least

The rubbing alchohol hasnt worked well for me, beingabout as effective as hot water and only removing the flocking but not the glue. Maybe I'm not using enough or scrubbing hard enough?

No, it's not a compatible solvent for the glue.  The only other solvents that I can think of, probably are NOT good for pony plastic! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 03:35:51 PM »
Quote from: lovesbabysquirmy
A LOT of products in everyday life come from petroleum distillate.  :)

Haha, yeah, that wasn't meant to be a dig at petroleum distillates, no worries. ;) I just meant that on the scale of Things I'm Cool With Using A Lot Of, generic isopropyl alcohol falls higher than something like Goo Gone. (I'm assuming it's petroleum distillate, but I honestly don't know! ^^;)

Aw, that's a shame, it's always worked for me. :huh: After removing most of the flocking with hot water, I soak cotton wool pads/q-tips in alcohol and go to town on the leftover glue. It takes some elbow grease, but it hasn't failed me so far. (Although some ponies are easier than others!) Are you using 91% strength? 70% might not have enough oomph.

Offline SparkleSkye

• Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 04:00:41 PM »
...I've been using 50%
That's likely my problem

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 05:21:41 PM »
I've accidentally deflocked a pony with really hot water and Dawn dish soap xD kind of sad cause she had near perfect flocking
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Gizmo

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 06:48:31 PM »
SparkleSkye, I'm currently deflocking a baity so soft Twilight and even though I've successfully deflocked ponies in the past I don't remember it being as difficult as this one...

I removed most of the flocking with hot water, covered the entire pony with Jasco following directions carefully (Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover...wearing chemical resistant gloves, adequate ventilation, using a metal container, apply with a paint brush, etc...) but after 2 applications the glue remained stubborn and pink blotches began to appear on her plastic so I decided to stop. I did a mistake of leaving the used paint brush sit in my bathtub while I wash her and didn't realize that the paint brush could ruin the tub's surface which caused permanent damage so this stuff is *very* serious.

I switched to acetone and it cleaned her very well (lots needed for the wings as lovesbabysquirmy pointed out) but I didn't go over painted areas as I know it'll wipe them right off, now I'm tempted to try Jasco once more only on her paint but would have to do it outdoors this time using disposable tools and be patient enough to repeat the application more than twice but not sure about the discoloration issue...

Has anyone experienced Jasco causing any discoloration to purple plastic? Was it a mistake to use it over the entire pony and maybe I should have applied it to painted parts only? Would like to know before I try it again.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 01:15:51 AM »
I deflocked Best Wishes the other day - she arrived with huge chunks missing from her flocking which were not apparent in the seller's photographs. But that is a whole other story.

Anyway, I used a fish knife, dish soap and very hot water to remove the brown glue residue from over her symbols, in the creases of her wings and also the flocking and glue from the creases of her eyes. No paint came off whatsoever in the process. This is the same fish knife that I use for removing pin dot and is one of my Most Favourite Tools.

Good luck, and please post a photo!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 07:45:39 AM »
I imagine a fish knife WOULD work really well!  :)  Yeah you have to get the 90% stuff, 50% is practically nothing.  Almost obscene for them to sell you that ratio as isopropyl ; that's half water at that point.  You can get the strong stuff from beauty supply places. 
The Bad Trader List

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 08:19:46 AM »
I’ve thought about using a ‘goo-off’ things before. I would be interested to know how if it works. Acetone, hot water and alcohol have worked well for me for years though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal