collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Sprinkles

have a version
24 (57.1%)
have mo
1 (2.4%)
want a version
9 (21.4%)
army
1 (2.4%)
I'll pass
7 (16.7%)
new to me
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: June 24, 2018, 05:47:25 AM

Author Topic: POTD 6/19/18 Sprinkles  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Gizmo

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: POTD 6/19/18 Sprinkles
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 07:02:39 PM »
It took me a long time to find a decent lavender one and thanks to my closest friend Pandabear Chan I also have this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »
Wow Gizmo. I love your blue Sprinkles custom . :)  I really think Sprinkles should have been blue instead of lavender.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Gizmo

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 07:28:54 PM »
Thanks Ponyfan and I totally agree, even though I do love the lavender one but the blue is superior without a doubt.

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Sprinkles

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 08:23:55 PM »
I think Sprinkles is unfulfilled potential. Lavender and blue is a lovely colour scheme, but so often her hair is rooted so badly and her body so discoloured it lets her down.
For the record, I love Sprinkles, but I agree 100% with the hair comment. Which leads to the comment below . . .

I've noticed she seems to come with two hair types - anyone noticed that/know the reason why? I've had a couple go through my hands with that nasty-ish, straight, lifeless hair that Majesty also sometimes comes with, and the one I've kept in my collection has lovely normal hair (like a regular Firefly for example). She's just the playset colouring, not the pink mail order.

Batch variation, or release year or something??
I've wondered the same thing for years! I had two in my childhood collection -- my first had really straight, brighter blue hair and the second had soft lighter blue hair that fell naturally like most ponies' hair. Like you said, they both still had a regular lavender body, although it might have been a slightly different shade (I'd have to dig them out to compare). Both came to me secondhand at different times, like most of my collection growing up.

Did the waterfall come out in different years? Maybe it's a release year issue like you mentioned.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 01:00:24 AM »
While I would never say no to any pony miraculously stumbled upon in the wild this girl has never been on my wish list for some reason. I too way prefer Cascade, who most definitely IS on my wish list.

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 07:26:17 AM »
I thought I had her for ages before realising I didn't!  The first time I bought one the seller sent me the wrong pony, eventually I managed to get her in good condition.  I think she's really cute, except I do not understand her name.  How are ducks and sprinkles related? I think Duckie would have been cute name (and Quackers was already taken).

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 07:53:07 AM »
I thought I had her for ages before realising I didn't!  The first time I bought one the seller sent me the wrong pony, eventually I managed to get her in good condition.  I think she's really cute, except I do not understand her name.  How are ducks and sprinkles related? I think Duckie would have been cute name (and Quackers was already taken).
I think it's referring to the waterfall, linking them together. She was released pretty early too, year two I think, and names didn't quite match the symbols? Like year one ponies were more named after the colors than symbols. :shrug: Idk, trying to understand Hasbro logic is weird. She could have a better name though, I agree. Quackers would have worked though, actual Quackers was a twinkle eye and wasn't released when Sprinkles was... The name wasn't taken quite yet.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 09:40:05 AM »
I am not sure about how long the waterfall was out in the US, but I know the waterfall release over here was really convoluted. I haven't ever seen a nice hair Sprinkles :/ If I did, I would keep her without a doubt...but not yet.

Over here the Waterfall is officially from 1985, though it probably happened in late 1984. I have both boxes for the UK, one with Cascade on and the other with Sprinkles (in lavender) pictured on them. The instructions for Cascade have clearly been modified from what I assume was the US release for Sprinkles but the boxes are dated the other way around, as if we had Cascade first and Sprinkles second. That sort of makes sense with the comics and stories as Cascade appears once in the earliest annual with ponies from 1984-5 and Sprinkles appears in the comics as the waterfall pony from 1985 when the comic begins. It also makes sense given that the Sprinkles on the box isn't the US prototype but the actual correct pony.

UK Sprinkles box:

Sprinkles is never on any UK pony insert, only Cascade. My theory has always been that leftover Sprinkles' ended up in the UK with the Waterfall and they redid the box to include her rather than keep up production of Cascade. It's also why Cascade is harder to find. How early this happened I don't know, but I think my Cascade box is stamped sometime in Summer 1985 and Sprinkles in Autumn. I haven't other boxes to do a comparison with, unfortunately, and there's no data online about the stamps in other Waterfall boxes to see if Sprinkles really is later, but if we got surplus from the US or from Europe, it means we might have had a mix of batches.

I've seen different versions of Majesty, Lemon Drop, Peachy with different types of hair rooting but all of those playsets had multiple year releases in the UK. The Waterfall did not so I don't hold out huge hopes for ever seeing one here.

@Gizmo, that custom is amazing. Pandabearchan is an awesome artist and I agree, that colour scheme is stunning.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:42:58 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 07:38:38 PM »
It took me a long time to find a decent lavender one and thanks to my closest friend Pandabear Chan I also have this:

:heart:

Oh Gizmo she is so pretty like that.  :inlove:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 07:47:34 PM »
The ones I've come across have always had the WORST hair, which I assume was a playset thing because Majesty often suffers the same.

Other than that she is okay, but not a pony I was ever in love with or anything.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 07:34:06 AM »
Gizmo, that custom is gorgeous :heart: _ :heart: I love Pandabearchan's customs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal