Pony Talk > Off Topic

Who would like to help me ID some gemstones?

(1/3) > >>

Broken Irishwoman:
Hi! :D

I have a thing for gemstones, and I would like to learn more about them. I'm still very much a beginner, I'm pretty much at the point where I think that every purple stone is amethyst, and every clear stone is clear quartz. :P Of course I don't really think that, it's just that I wouldn't know what else it could be.

Yesterday bought these pretty little stones, but I'm not sure at all what they are. Does anybody here have any idea?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The clear ones at the top look very much like clear quartz, except they have tiny little opal-like bits. The one on the left could be moonstone? The orange one is a complete mystery to me, when you hold it to the light it has grey/bluish sheen. The purple one could be amethyst, but I know there are other, lighter purple stones too. The pinkish one on the right is too purple-ish for rose quartz, I was thinking maybe fluorite? Especially because it's kind of "dull", and I know fluorite tends to be kind of dull (maybe I'm using the wrong word here, I definitely don't mean it in a bad way, just that it's not a very clear stone).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D

melodys_angel:
Looks like an agate of sorts--or a chalcedony. Is the purple one milky?

Broken Irishwoman:
A little! The purple bits are quite clear, but it has a lot of white "clouds". :)

Mewtwofan1:
I’m not sure what gemstones these might be. Rocks are what I know best, but not gems. They’re pretty though.
     I’ll do a bit of digging, and see if I can find anything that might help.

melodys_angel:
Yeah its definitely not amethyst. Let me see if I can remember the names of a few of the trickier stones ^^

Apatite looks like that but is carribean blue.  There may be a purple one?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version