collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 35th Anniversary Collectors Pony's - Part 2!  (Read 245932 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: 35th Anniversary Collectors Pony's - Part 2!
« Reply #675 on: August 29, 2018, 06:21:57 AM »
I dunno, I think if it comes down to Bubbles and Seashell vs Cherries Jubilee and Tootsie, they would go for Bubbles and Seashell. I just feel they're more iconic.  But maybe my views are colored by the fact that I wanted Bubbles so badly as a kid.  It's true that it would be investing in a mold they would only be using twice and then never again.

My feeling overall is it's fun to speculate on what might come next, but pointless to get mad over it.  We don't know for sure what Basic Fun will do, but we do know that whatever they produce will be G1 ponies, and that is amazing.  Maybe they will make the 2nd set of Rainbow ponies or Rainbow Curl ponies or Baby Rainbow ponies or who knows what.  (For all we know the Facebook contact was accidentally reading off last year's list, which would explain "collector ponies".)  But whatever it is I'll buy it, LOL.

Edit:  Yeah, Year 3 rainbow ponies are not "rare-rare" in the US, but not common.  Especially in good condition.  But I feel like most of the Year 3 ponies are a little hard to find, except the baby ponies.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:23:53 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 29, 2018, 07:13:42 AM »
eeehh speaking from a practicality point of view, I'd expect CJ and Tootsie over Bubbles and Seashell. I know which ones *I'd* rather have (well, if I had to pick I'd like CJ and Bubbles, really, but- you know what I mean! :P), but they're a business, they're trying to make money and from that point of view, it doesn't really make sense to make a mold that you know you're only going to use twice. (Unless they stop making exact replicas and start switching it up a bit and releasing old ponies in different ponies, I suppose.) They reused Custard's mold for Twinkles.. I dunno, I just can't see them doing the sitting girls over ponies w/ "reusable" molds. Call me "negative" if you will :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 29, 2018, 10:40:39 AM »
The thing about reusing the molds is a good point!

I just found a fun review of the Pretty Parlor that has a skit at the beginning based on Peachy's backcard story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK8YJhijQ54

Kiss Curl and Ivy even guest star. :)

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 29, 2018, 11:08:51 AM »
I know everyone wants so softs but I’m wary about whether that would ever happen.  I’m concerned it might be too expensive a process these days and if they do try it that the flocking won’t be the thick soft stuff of the originals.

This is my feeling as well. If they do make SoSofts, I think it would be cost-prohibitive for them to produce the thick, fluffy flocking of Y4 and still turn a profit at a $10 price point, so we would probably end up with more of a peach-fuzz effect. Which isn't terrible by any means! I might prefer it personally, but I don't think that's what a lot of collectors would want in a faithful SoSoft reproduction.

But that being said, it would make a lot more sense for them to release Posey/CJ (and any uni/pegs like Surprise and Gusty) as the regular versions so that any SoSoft versions they release will be ones ones that where only ever released as SoSofts.

I agree with this. The Y4 SoSoft set is so bloated as it is. It makes more sense to avoid flocking any ponies they don't need to flock. (In which case, they should skip the flocking on Wind Whistler, Buttons, etc! :P NSS in the US!) If I'm being honest -- and maybe a bit negative lol -- I would be happy to see them make only the earth ponies SoSoft (a new, jazzed-up "collector" set, if you will) and leave Paradise, Ribbon, and the rest of the U&P as a regular set.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 29, 2018, 11:15:36 AM »
I wouldn't be adverse to non-flocked versions of So Soft ponies if it came down to it.  I personally would be fine with having vintage inspired characters that are slightly modifed such as not coming with the gimmick they were originally sold with or in alternate poses or reversed hair colors.  I know for example that Twinkle Eyes are really popular, and I like them, too, but imagine those characters with regular eyes!  I just like the idea of something that makes them a little different from the originals.  It makes me less likely to feel guilty about buying a remake of something I already have the original of.

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 29, 2018, 11:27:45 AM »
I prefer the repros to be slightly-off from the originals as well. It makes it much easier to spot them for what they are when sweeping second-hand markets, and I don't feel weird about purposefully spending money on an exact duplicate.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #681 on: August 29, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »
I simply didn't understand why there's such a lack of enthusiasm for Tootsie and CJ in a retro set...I mean, it's not just in this thread but the other ones about the retros too. Thus far they've produced complete sets, and so I kind of don't understand why CJ and Tootsie should be shunted out of their set for release.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be Bubbles and Seashell, just that in the UK the 1985 set are the iconic ones. I agree with Carrehz on this. MLP here kicked off big time with 1985 and that set were at the front of that move.
Spoiler
I would love to see movie star ponies released, but on the understanding that Lofty, Paradise and Ribbon happened in the set as well. Without fur. I don't want retro SS ponies, really, but I would really love to see the movie stars plus the three they left out. Oh, I guess I'm including Cupcake and Truly in that too. I always forget them as they're not technically Movie Stars.  But they like to do sets of 6, so lets see, who do we have?

Unicorns - Ribbon, Buttons, Gusty
Pegasus - Lofty, Wind Whistler, North Star, Paradise.
Earth - Shady, Magic Star, Truly, Cupcake

If they are going to release a set of 6, then they are likely to release ponies in moulds they can re-use, or have already used.

If they released Gusty as part of a year 3 unipeg set (not yet guaranteed), then they would do better to stick with Buttons and Ribbon (which would also make Fizzy and Galaxy possible).

Pegasus - either Wind Whistler and Paradise or Lofty and North Star. I think the first 2 to be more well known.

Earth - Either Truly and Magic Star rearing (though I would rather not have that pose, it's more logical) or Shady and Cupcake. The latter pair give more pose options for ponies like Gingerbread etc though.

Edit to add - UK people, regarding ponies and Toymaster affiliated stores

I was nosy and asked some questions of the head office people. Apparently this is the deal:

"The Retro My Little Ponys are in our Autumn Winter Catalogue which comes out at the end of September. This has a Ring & Reserve feature on it where you can reserve the toy with your nearest participating store.
As we are just the central office here and all of our stores are independently owned (so they look after their own stock) I am unable to tell you which store may have them in stock but the best way would be to use the Ring & Reserve feature on the website (www.toymaster.co.uk) when the Catalogue comes out at the end of September."

Hope that's of use to people. They are apparently coming into Toymaster stores but not till end Sept. What I don't know is whether they will be wave 1 and 2 (seems most likely). But for people not finding them in John Lewis or not wanting to buy online, this may be another option. And it is another physical store where they are confirmed, even if the affiliated system means not every store will carry them.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:19:37 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline 1983Baby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 30, 2018, 08:12:08 AM »
I don't think it's so much that people actively don't want Cherries Jubilee and Tootsie as much as people are trying to guess how Basic Fun will cobble together two incomplete sets into one set of (we assume) six ponies and expressing their preferences.  ('Incomplete' due to ponies being rereleased in Year 2 and 3, like Cotton Candy and Blossom were part of Year 2.)

Like, I don't hate Cherries Jubilee.  It's just that I like Bubbles much more.  (I begged and begged for Bubbles as as kid.)  There's no right or wrong with that kind of preference, it's just personal opinion.   We all had / have our faves.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 30, 2018, 08:52:53 AM »
I hope we won't be expected to choose between the two poses.  I like them both!  But, I am hoping for a minty purple Seashell.  That would be amazing.  A dark blue Bow Tie would also be very nice.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 30, 2018, 09:10:04 AM »
The 5 Rainbow pony set is in stock now on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Fun-Little-Retro-Rainbow/dp/B07DNW27YS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535640865&sr=8-1&keywords=my+little+pony+35th+anniversary

I saw that! I was able to get three of the six ponies the other day! I need three that are in this box set, but I don't want to buy two again that I just got. And I don't live even close to a Target to take back. :(

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #686 on: August 30, 2018, 09:55:33 AM »
I think the comments about whether people do/don’t like the Tootsie pose is just personal preference and ultimately won’t have any bearing on which ponies are produced anyway. If they are made, I wouldn’t buy them, but whether I like or don’t like that pose or irrelevant - the main thing is that retro ponies are being released again, which is amazing! I really don’t think our opinions on a message board will have any impact on what Basic Fun decide to do next. I think sales of either pose would be good regardless simply because of the novelty of ponies being re-released. If you like that pose - great. If you don’t - great. Everyone is entitled to have their own preferences, tastes and opinions.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 30, 2018, 11:58:00 AM »

Edit to add - UK people, regarding ponies and Toymaster affiliated stores

I was nosy and asked some questions of the head office people. Apparently this is the deal:

"The Retro My Little Ponys are in our Autumn Winter Catalogue which comes out at the end of September. This has a Ring & Reserve feature on it where you can reserve the toy with your nearest participating store.
As we are just the central office here and all of our stores are independently owned (so they look after their own stock) I am unable to tell you which store may have them in stock but the best way would be to use the Ring & Reserve feature on the website (www.toymaster.co.uk) when the Catalogue comes out at the end of September."

Hope that's of use to people. They are apparently coming into Toymaster stores but not till end Sept. What I don't know is whether they will be wave 1 and 2 (seems most likely). But for people not finding them in John Lewis or not wanting to buy online, this may be another option. And it is another physical store where they are confirmed, even if the affiliated system means not every store will carry them.

Thanks for that!
Really useful as one of the indie toy shops is near to where I get my car serviced, while another one is 10 mins drive away from my Gran's house, so I have a choice of two establishments to harass  :P :lol:

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #688 on: August 30, 2018, 12:15:12 PM »
Obviously it has no bearing on basic fun and it is down to preferences. The problem I have is the implied expectation that Basic Fun should mash together bits of sets because Seashell and Bubbles must be released at all costs. It is pretty easy for them to just keep rolling CC and Blossom while bringing out 4 new ponies if they want the sitting ponies. Their release and a 1985 set possible release are unconnected which is why it  bothers me. Suggestions CJ and Tootsie don't need a release because they are  not as important seems to miss the point of these as retros for all of us. It isn't a personal wish list.

I have spent my whole life waiting for Medley and Glory. I don't like Sunbeam much. But I don't think that it makes sense to shunt her out for Sparkler just because she is more iconic to me. Each pony in their proper set is the logical way to handle a line in which all of us have our own personal nostalgic favourites.

@Glitterball no problem. Good luck!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 30, 2018, 12:37:51 PM »
On another note,

if they were allowed to re-issue Tootsie + CJ in the Posey or Gusty poses, well, WOW that would be something!  :frolic: :frolic:

Anyway, I love ALL the ponies, (just some a bit more than others  :lol: ) I am just happy that repros are being made at all!

Can you remember the forum convos from last year and earlier, about how cool it would be if some company were to make G! ponies again?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal