collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 35th Anniversary Collectors Pony's - Part 2!  (Read 245762 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: 35th Anniversary Collectors Pony's - Part 2!
« Reply #570 on: August 23, 2018, 02:06:08 PM »
If anything is shifted out of stock in the US, I would expect it to be the Collector ponies.  They have been out the longest (six months in the US) and they seem to share the same DCPI number as the unicorn/pegasus set.

That said, so far my Target is displaying the Rainbow ponies and Collector ponies mixed together.  They each have their own "row" and price tag, but they cost the same, sooo . . .

Also, I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but there are now two types of Collector pony packaging.  The box window extends around the side on the new boxes, so that you can see what pony is in the package from the side.  (Hope that makes sense.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 23, 2018, 02:12:49 PM »
My Rainbows arrived today from Toys R Us!! Yay! I just need to find Parasol since there was a limit of 5 per person. For the discussion on boxes, here is the Canadian box. I find it unusual because there are multi languages on the back and bottom, not just English and French. Sometimes our boxes include Spanish too. Also, Canadian packaging usually has English and French on things like Rainbow Ponies, would have the French translation, or Scented Ponies or includes comb, brush etc, those things are usually in both languages. Anyway, it looks like an international box to me. I went downstairs to compare my Collector Pose boxes from EB games and as I suspected, they are US boxes, English only.

For Toys R Us Canada, the collector pose and rainbows have been released at the same time.

When I checked my store I spoke to the manager and he said with all the uncertainty of TRU's fate, there was not any product buying for a long time and now that TRU Canada is in a stable position we should be seeing regular releases again.

Canadian packaging from TRU Canada:

Appears to be US packaging from EB Games Canada:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #572 on: August 23, 2018, 02:49:22 PM »
Pics of the old and new Collector pony packaging:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

^ New packaging on the left.

^ New packaging on the right.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 23, 2018, 03:09:31 PM »
Thanks for the comparison pics LadyMoondancer. :) I kept looking at the packages at Target and couldn't figure out what was different. (I was looking from the front though and not the sides. :lol:  I thought maybe it was the placement of the poster.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Gizmo

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 23, 2018, 03:37:37 PM »
Thanks a lot LadyMoondancer! This also confirms that BF/TBD sold out their first production run which is great news.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 23, 2018, 04:09:14 PM »
Can anyone who has the rainbow ponies in hand tell us what the scent the rainbow ponies are supposed to have?  I'm very interested to know if it's pleasant or annoying.  I would love it if they were able to make the G1 new pony smell and put that on them.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #576 on: August 23, 2018, 05:37:43 PM »
^ New packaging on the right.
:enraged: :enraged: :enraged: That would have been perfect for display! Are you kidding me?
Hoping they go on clearance so I can scoop em up and debox the set I already bought, anyway!  :P

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 23, 2018, 06:01:35 PM »
I am kind of out of the pony loop right now, did we all know those unicorn ones were coming out? If there any more coming out after those?

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 23, 2018, 06:24:16 PM »
Aww, the sniffy-holes on the international Rainbows are heart-shaped! Too cute! :biggrin:

I've been tempted to buy an extra Snuzzle... I might have to use the new side-window packaging as an excuse.

Can anyone who has the rainbow ponies in hand tell us what the scent the rainbow ponies are supposed to have?  I'm very interested to know if it's pleasant or annoying.

In my experience, the Rainbow ponies have significant batch variation in how scented they are. I've sniffed Sunlights that were only barely scented and others that nearly knocked me over. Also, I am very sensitive to scents, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. ^^;

Skydancer: doesn't smell much like apricots to me, light and pleasant though
Starshine: weapons-grade vanilla, extremely sweet
Sunlight: sweet but not very apple-y, smells more like bubblegum to me tbh
Parasol: probably my favorite, smells just like the Strawberry Shortcake doll
Windy: just kind-of cherry but not in a bad way, tolerable at low levels
Moonstone: decently raspberry, but weirdly her box smells more than she does

I am kind of out of the pony loop right now, did we all know those unicorn ones were coming out? If there any more coming out after those?

We've known that they had plans for the Unicorn & Pegasus set since Toy Fair in February, but back then it was a little up in the air if they would have a market for them, especially with the loss of TRU. I think the retro ponies have since proven to succeed beyond their expectations!

There are rumors that they do have an additional set planned, but realistically there aren't many ponies left in the "1983" bracket, so it's probably either Sea Ponies (*crosses fingers*) or Applejack, Bow Tie, &co if they do make more under the 35th Anniversary banner.

Offline Kiwichi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 23, 2018, 07:39:58 PM »
I emailed them thanking for the repros & asking for more.  Suggested sparkle, twinkle eyes, so softs, babies & celestial ponies.  I want babies the most :)
 Of course i got no response.  Let's hope for more after wave 3 :lol:  is it too soon to be excited for the 2019 toy fair?  Hehe

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 23, 2018, 07:50:54 PM »
Weapons-grade :haha: vanilla scent
The only two I've smelled is Starshine and Sky Dancer, scent sensitive me found the later to be nasty. But that's just me and my nose, your nose may vary.

Still, out of stock everywhere in my area, Brickseek is a lifesaver because I take public transit. And can't do a multi-store check all in one day.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 23, 2018, 10:05:46 PM »
In my experience, the Rainbow ponies have significant batch variation in how scented they are. I've sniffed Sunlights that were only barely scented and others that nearly knocked me over. Also, I am very sensitive to scents, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. ^^;

Skydancer: doesn't smell much like apricots to me, light and pleasant though
Starshine: weapons-grade vanilla, extremely sweet
Sunlight: sweet but not very apple-y, smells more like bubblegum to me tbh
Parasol: probably my favorite, smells just like the Strawberry Shortcake doll
Windy: just kind-of cherry but not in a bad way, tolerable at low levels
Moonstone: decently raspberry, but weirdly her box smells more than she does

We've known that they had plans for the Unicorn & Pegasus set since Toy Fair in February, but back then it was a little up in the air if they would have a market for them, especially with the loss of TRU. I think the retro ponies have since proven to succeed beyond their expectations!

I agree with you, when I smelled Parasol I thought instantly of my Strawberry Shortcake dolls. My Moonstone has a fairly strong scent, I had to move her off my desk (and this is MIB). TOTALLY agree with "weapons-grade vanilla" for Starshine she also had to be moved off my desk (also MIB and I have two and they both smell strongly, almost a do not sniff near box type of strong). I am hoping that once they are open they will air out a bit. I just haven't opened them yet.

I think many (if not all) of us would agree that the loss of Toys R Us is a hard hit for the toy market. It did/will create an upset in the balance of things for the rest of this year and into next. With Target being the sole in-store distributor for the MLP retros it creates a very narrow range of product availability. That being said, I agree with LadyMoondancer that the collectors set is probably on it's way out since the Uni/Peg are coming in. Rainbows I would say will be here through the holiday season and will probably get easier to find in a few months once we have all bought ours. If we are being honest here, we all know the reason they are hard to find on those shelves is because we are nabbing them as soon as they hit them. Which is GREAT for letting Basic Fun know how popular G1 MLP is. :biggrin:

I emailed them thanking for the repros & asking for more.  Suggested sparkle, twinkle eyes, so softs, babies & celestial ponies.  I want babies the most :)
 Of course i got no response.  Let's hope for more after wave 3 :lol:  is it too soon to be excited for the 2019 toy fair?  Hehe

The idea of an entire set (including rearing ponies with stands) of so softs would be amazing. Nice clean pretty beautiful unstained flocking. I have North Star and Ribbon from when I was a kid and I always loved them (they were my 2nd and 3rd ponies). I'm totally with you on being excited already for next years toy fair.

There are rumors that they do have an additional set planned, but realistically there aren't many ponies left in the "1983" bracket, so it's probably either Sea Ponies (*crosses fingers*) or Applejack, Bow Tie, &co if they do make more under the 35th Anniversary banner.

They skipped around a bit with Strawberry Shortcake so I expect they will do the same with MLP picking out the most iconic sets. In regards to the package labeling of any future sets I assume they will do something similar to what they did with Strawberry Shortcake and have it say something about being the "original 1980's design" instead of 35th anniversary.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:08:34 PM by toyjunky »

Offline Kiwichi

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 23, 2018, 11:59:07 PM »
Toyjunky: I almost feel like we're being spoiled with all the repros this yr :lol:  3 waves of ponies & 1 pony set, thats really ambitious of BF.  Credit to them to invest so much $$$. If BF picks & chooses which sets to produce, there will be some missing ponies from ppls favorite set(s) & those ppl will be really sad.  I'm feeling spoiled & little greedy bc I want all the pony sets (probably not possible ^.^)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:01:38 AM by Kiwichi »

Offline aria_elwen

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 24, 2018, 12:42:47 AM »
I reckon if they do make more and are willing to make more moulds they'll go for either Applejack and Bowtie (no new mould needed) or the moviestar set.

This second group is likely to sell due to the cartoon. Equally the twinkle eyes. They could even do a mix and match.

I'd love the early baby ponies too but I'm not sure if they're a feasible choice.

My problem is Basic Fun was responsible for the Hobbit toys fiasco so my faith in the company is slim. They overstocked some figures so obviously they didn't sell and then becausecof that refused to make any more. A child can't really enact the quest when they only have 5 dwarves, Bilbo, Gandalf, 2 elves and about 3 goblins. Smaug became US only and some later figures  were so limited they may as well not have released them.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:47:02 PM by aria_elwen »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #584 on: August 24, 2018, 08:03:15 AM »
Wait, the CP ponies are on Target's website avaliable for order? Is this new?
Here's Cotton Candy

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal