collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 35th Anniversary Collectors Pony's - Part 2!  (Read 245538 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: 35th Anniversary Collectors Pony's - Part 2!
« Reply #450 on: August 11, 2018, 08:41:52 PM »
You know, I'm wondering if my Target and others like it are holding on to all the clearance stuff till after this weekend.  It being tax free weekend and all.  Maybe they are hoping to get rid of a little more of the clearance stuff with all the extra shoppers and all.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 11, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »
My friend got me the Parlor for my birthday party today! She also got one for herself, presumably wiping out that Target's selection. She said she avoided taking photos to post on social media cuz she didn't want me to know what she did or didn't find as far as retro ponies.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 11, 2018, 10:22:36 PM »
Strawberry Shortcake is where I really think they drop the ball. There are very few active SSC fan boards out there anymore. The only one I know that is left is dead.

Strawberry Shortcake did not need a fan board to sell well. The retro products by Basic Fun were started because of Strawberry Shortcake. If you watch the Toy Fair 2018 video they explain that they released a 35th anniversary Strawberry Shortcake doll (2015) along with a relaunch of a newly designed modern version and the retro one outsold the new (starting at 1:54 in the video). Hence they are now making a variety of retro merchandise and we are now are getting retro ponies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-_gfB-H3Y

Personally, I believe it sold well purely because of what it was. Those of us who loved her as a child, or still love her or collect her as an adult bought the toys when they came out for ourselves, or for our children. Nostalgia is a great seller. There were also plenty of places online where she was shared, here included.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 12, 2018, 04:22:49 AM »
I visited two local Targets, and there wasn't even a space for them in the MLP section.  Unless I'm looking in the wrong location for these.
they are on endcaps with other retro toys, separate from the other MLP. :)
Checked there too and nada.  The only interesting thing was Mirror Kirk and Spock.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #454 on: August 12, 2018, 04:26:53 AM »
My friend got me the Parlor for my birthday party today! She also got one for herself, presumably wiping out that Target's selection. She said she avoided taking photos to post on social media cuz she didn't want me to know what she did or didn't find as far as retro ponies.

Wow, such a nice friend :D Congrats, Khoufu! That must've been an amazing surprise.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 12, 2018, 08:08:09 AM »
Thanks, Taffeta. That friend has also bought seven ponies from me. She said my main irl pony friend.

I visited two local Targets, and there wasn't even a space for them in the MLP section.  Unless I'm looking in the wrong location for these.
they are on endcaps with other retro toys, separate from the other MLP. :)
Checked there too and nada.  The only interesting thing was Mirror Kirk and Spock.

What company made Kirk and Spock? I haven't seen Star Trek figures worth buying at Target in several years.

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 12, 2018, 09:20:43 AM »
What company made Kirk and Spock? I haven't seen Star Trek figures worth buying at Target in several years.

They are among a whole series of different tv character figures produced by Mego who was also the original toy manufacturer for these products and just were released at the end of July exclusively to Target retailers  (so still in that starting to show up on shelves phase). You can read more about them in the link here:
https://corporate.target.com/article/2018/07/mego
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:22:32 AM by toyjunky »

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 12, 2018, 10:36:09 AM »
Well, if they really continue with this and get to unicorns and seaponies next I might shell out for them. I'd bite that sour apple. And other puns.

Thinking of finally having a truly white Gusty in great condition and a seapony on its stand? Heck yeah!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 12, 2018, 11:23:01 AM »
This is me being VERY hopeful here, but did anyone else unbox their rainbow ponies (don't judge me. Starshine smells like freaking marshmallows and I just had to sniff at her!) Only to notice the inner box art features Seaponies as well as Sprinkles, the waterfall, Duck Soup and Brandy the dog? OMG, is this a sign of things to come?! Cross ALL your fingers! Unicorns and Pegasus are next, according to the Basic Fun toy company!!

Oh Ribbs, any chance of posting a scan / photo of this inner box art?

I'm really interested to see which (potential) characters they are teasing us with!
 :think:

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 12, 2018, 11:29:56 AM »

They are among a whole series of different tv character figures produced by Mego who was also the original toy manufacturer for these products and just were released at the end of July exclusively to Target retailers  (so still in that starting to show up on shelves phase). You can read more about them in the link here:
https://corporate.target.com/article/2018/07/mego

Thanks for the link. Original Megos are getting pricey so I'm grateful for the rerelease, and the fact that they aren't ReAction.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 12, 2018, 11:30:04 AM »
Not to dispel any hopes but I think it is generic y2 artwork based on art used on the inserts at that time. Those images or similar are on the UK ibsert for 1985 here but it is US art and nobody bothered then about it picturing ponies not on sale.. .so no indication it suggests sea ponies for me.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 12, 2018, 12:09:16 PM »
Not to dispel any hopes but I think it is generic y2 artwork based on art used on the inserts at that time. Those images or similar are on the UK ibsert for 1985 here but it is US art and nobody bothered then about it picturing ponies not on sale.. .so no indication it suggests sea ponies for me.

oh well, one can dream....  :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #462 on: August 12, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »
Yeah, I think they just wanted a pastoral scene with the Rainbow ponies featured prominently to be honest.  And this brochure scene worked better than the art from the Year 2 Rainbow pony backcard because that backcard has a big patch of blank space in the middle (where the backcard story would be printed.)

They used the part from Parasol to Moonstone.  The only pony they couldn't fit in was Skydancer.  So I think the sea ponies being in the picture is just because . . . the Rainbow ponies happened to be in that part of the pic.

I mean, maybe they will make the sea ponies, but I don't think the picture is a secret clue or anything.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 12, 2018, 12:27:29 PM »
Ah, thanks LadyMoondancer  :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 12, 2018, 12:29:44 PM »
Yep. That is the same art as on the UK insert I mentioned as well so it is fairly widespread and so logical as a choice...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal