collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony rare "thanks to her moon and star symbols", tabloid claims  (Read 3256 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Pony rare "thanks to her moon and star symbols", tabloid claims
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 11:48:17 PM »
Wow, that's ridiculous. This is like when people claim beanie babies are rare, but most of them sell for less than original retail value.
I saw some listed for $200-5000 on ebay recently. Ones that sell for less than $12 MAXIMUM. Also reminds me of someone I saw selling a fakie for $30 because she thought it was rare due to the lack of information online about her.

There is someone over here selling a lot of fakies persistently for about £100 (it was higher) under the MLP banner as well. Fakies are even more common at second hand sales at the moment and a lot of dealers are also inundated with them, demonstrating they don't bother to know the difference.

I messaged that guy to tell him he was selling a load of fake ponies and nobody would buy them - I even told him which ones were real and he was very nice but clearly he thinks his lot is worth something as he still has it priced ridiculously high!

I sometimes think about doing that, and then realise that it's not my job to do their research work for them. Annoying as it is to see lots like that, if they want to sell stuff, they should do the legwork to find out what they have...

MLP is not a quick fix sell collectable anyway. It's not financially stable (ie a pony that sells for a lot once won't always sell that high). You have to know not only the real from the fake but also the individual IDs of ponies. You also have to know which ones are particularly sought after because there isn't a logical pattern to it - not all mail order ponies are valuable, for example, and some in sets sell for a lot more than their fellows do, without any real rationale behind it. It takes a lot of time to do that research if you aren't a collector and want to make money from MLP. Then you have to clean it. That article implies that we're all idiots who will buy wrecked ponies for tons of money...but the reality is most won't, and also the lack of MIP basically is because there aren't so many surviving in this country compared with others.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:50:58 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 01:50:57 AM »
Wow, what an... interesting... article. I did not know before that only the Greek ponies were made under license. Silly me!

Now I have a fair amount of pink ponies in my collection; so I am happy to think about how their values have all just shot up. Pity about those other colours that have just decreased in value, but then one can't have everything in life. And what a happy day: I have TWO adult Moondancers. I mean, by their unique logic surely a larger pony with that valuable symbol should then be worth more that a smaller one? Oh boy! I can just see the dollar (or is it pound?) signs floating in front of my eyes right now.

The sad thing is is that there are people out there who will believe what has been written and so will not be able to understand why their common pony is not selling for big bucks after all.

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 02:20:45 AM »

Now I have a fair amount of pink ponies in my collection; so I am happy to think about how their values have all just shot up. Pity about those other colours that have just decreased in value, but then one can't have everything in life.

That's OK by me - I like blue and yellow ponies (wicked grin)

I hope noone gets scammed by this - however it does demonstrate the importance of research, the principle of 'caveat emptor' and to hold out on buying above market value.
Annoying as it is to sift through reams of overpriced ponies on an ebay search the market will soon rebalance itself if prices are too high.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 06:27:46 AM »
Well, I guess somebody didn’t fully research their topic before publishing the article.

That's The Sun in a nutshell. They are just a trash rag spreading falsehoods. The Sun famously claimed that heterosexual people can't get AIDS, amongst younger atrocities like calling immigrants "cockroaches" or referring to the Holocaust as "the Jewish problem the Nazis responded to".

Really, this pony article is dumb but they could have made it much, much worse :lol:

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 06:31:09 AM »
Well, I guess somebody didn’t fully research their topic before publishing the article.

That's The Sun in a nutshell. They are just a trash rag spreading falsehoods. The Sun famously claimed that heterosexual people can't get AIDS, amongst younger atrocities like calling immigrants "cockroaches" or referring to the Holocaust as "the Jewish problem the Nazis responded to".

Really, this pony article is dumb but they could have made it much, much worse :lol:

Oh good lord...I guess they just tell their journalists to word vomit and publish whatever comes out, unedited. I can't imagine being able to live with yourself after writing articles like that  :huh:

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 06:56:52 AM »
Years ago one of those check-out tabloids printed an article that Russians were causing global warming because they were installing gigantic fans on the northern polar ice cap and the US was letting it happen. If anyone actually believes that little yummy tidbit of fake then they would believe anything, even 30+ years ago. It DOES prove, though, that those who fall into the tabloids are quite the diverse crowd and may be past MLP fans  xP

At least this means that more people are aware of their ponies being wanted and it's worth finding them a new home. It would open the market up a bit, which could do with some deflation every once in a while to keep it healthy and desirable.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 06:59:45 AM »
In the UK we have a law which says that media (ie TV) has to be neutral when it comes to political parties and has to present multiple sides to things.

This does not apply to newspapers. As a result, Sun and the Mail and others of their ilk get away with some pretty shocking, onesided and often unsubstantiated claims. It is fair to say without them there probably wouldn't have been a Brexit, because they're the papers that fuelled the lies about immigration, about the EU, etc. But yeah. It's pretty nasty :/

In comparison, the pony story is kind of mild. But the pony story, with its bad grammar, misspellings and inaccuracies, kind of acts as a window into how they research or report all their news. I mean, that article was based on the prices of what, four, five auctions that they happened to find? And what of all the other hundreds of auctions for MLP? And then to misspell el greco and claim it's the only 'foreign' manufacturer (given Hasbro are American and make their regular ponies in asia) in an article with a Spanish pony as well...

Yeah. Nuff said really.

Last election, the Sun and the Mail etc tried a smear campaign against the opposition party. A lot of young people went out and bought these papers in mass amounts to burn them and get them out of circulation. The papers themselves could do nothing about it because they were still technically selling. After the brexit vote, when these papers printed a lot of untrue things to inspire people to vote leave (and still are printing those things by the way), people had had enough and mounted a revolt...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 07:25:27 AM »
Yeesh. This newspaper sounds worse than I thought. I just thought they didn’t do the research but by golly! This is something else. I’m hoping everybody who read these articles understands that that’s not how AIDS or global warming works. That that’s not what happened during the holocaust. I’m glad that this pony article could have been much, much worse. But I think they really need to up standards on writing quality. At least get an editor to edit your work!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 07:34:34 AM »

OMG!!!!  D:  That is horrific!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 07:37:48 AM »
Just oof... At least they could have made it a lot worse. I hope we don't get sellers saying that the ponies they have are rare because this article says so. At least, I hope they don't use it as evidence...

Wow, that's ridiculous. This is like when people claim beanie babies are rare, but most of them sell for less than original retail value.
I saw some listed for $200-5000 on ebay recently. Ones that sell for less than $12 MAXIMUM. Also reminds me of someone I saw selling a fakie for $30 because she thought it was rare due to the lack of information online about her.
Was that on Craigslist? I think I saw it or at least one similar, claiming a G3.5 pink fakie was a prototype because they didn't find anything about her online and that they were selling it for much less than it was really worth.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 08:00:21 AM »
I remember when someone listed around 12 common and fakies for $5k, was that what you were referring to, Khoufu?
Big apologies for the size of the image, someone posted it on tumblr and I can't find a way to make it not the 500 pixel version:

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 08:16:44 AM »
Tailrustedtealeaf, Safflower, the expensive lots were beanie babies in response to the comment I quoted. The expensive fakie was at a brony con (BABScon). And unfortunately all the real g1s I saw were also overpriced. Seashell for  $30? Forget it.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 08:23:44 AM »
Tailrustedtealeaf, Safflower, the expensive lots were beanie babies in response to the comment I quoted. The expensive fakie was at a brony con (BABScon). And unfortunately all the real g1s I saw were also overpriced. Seashell for  $30? Forget it.
Oh, I forgot you were talking about Beanies! I can totally see what you mean with the expensive G1s at conventions.
I went to Bronycon last year and there were about two sellers with G1 ponies, but I saw the prices and hightailed it out of there!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 09:06:19 AM »
I wonder how many people actually buy the overpriced G1s at brony cons. I bet they don't have them more reasonably priced because "most people at the con wouldn't know better/know if they were getting a good deal".

ThoughI also do wonder how effective haggling would be once they find out you're a g1 collector.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 01:58:42 PM »
Oh, ok. I thought it might've been since I live in California as well. At least there was a listing on Craigslist saying a fakie was a prototype because the couldn't find any info on it!

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal