collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: could parasaurolophus have been the fabled unicorns  (Read 3252 times)

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
Re: could parasaurolophus have been the fabled unicorns
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 05:50:39 PM »
The link that LadyMoondancer linked to is very interesting. For example, it shows that people believed that hyenas changed sexes randomly and that there was a species of goose that grew from a tree. I'm not meaning to make fun of these beliefs, I just wonder how they came to be!

[edit] Hum, nevermind, it seems I'm mistaken, because I don't see this anecdote anywhere else on the internet. Etymology for that name doesn't link up to what I've been told. I prefer not to spread false information.
Spoiler

You make me remember a belief implying shrews, whose name is "Musaraigne" in French. "Mus" meaning Mouse (Souris in French) and "Araigne" meaning spider (Araignée in French).
It was named Spider-mouse because people though it transforms into a spider in the winter because they didn't see it during that period, but it was just well hidden.

Humans are good at trying to explain things in any way possible as long as they have an explanation, they'll be fine with it.

[edit] But still, it's indeed "spider-mouse" but it's not because of what I've been told. Sorry for the inconvenience.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrew
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:57:46 PM by RoseNoire »
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline splooto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • Just a silly bean
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 06:41:48 PM »
I believe the myth of unicorns came from one horned goats/deer/ and sheep!
:art: :enraged: :art:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 11:39:32 AM »
Omg this has been blown way out of context.seriously. just a thought do to the feet and head structure. So not laughing at how people where or there beleifs.

You started a discussion on unicorns and now there is one. Everyone is talking about unicorns so we are all staying on topic. Nobody was laughing at people? I think the thread is interesting.

Post Merge: June 08, 2018, 12:01:49 PM

My favorites are the pictures of snakes where they gave them legs.  You had one job, illustrator!

You had one job, nature! :lol:
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/10/snakes-grow-legs-evolution/snakes-grow-legs-evolution/

It just occurred to me to look up where Parasaurolophus lived.  The answer is . . . North America only.  So not the basis for the unicorn, which originated in Greek.  But it was a creative idea.  ;)

Research on dinosaurs and their relatives is never over because analysis gets better, new fossils are being found and theories evolve or get rebuked all the time.
The parasaurolophus are also believed to have lived in the region that is now Asia. And Asian countries have their own unicorns, like the quilin.

The parasaurolophus is my favorite dinosaur. I want to make a G3 custom now... I have a baity one lying around. Maybe one day :lol:

Speaking of the parasaurolophus... it actually had something like hooves. Its toes were close together and they could support themselves on these toes. Didn't have to place the "hand" on the ground to walk.
I always think of eohippos when I see models or illustrations with the animals on all fours.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 12:02:52 PM by Zapper »

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 03:12:23 PM »
Hey, Parasaurolophus is from Alberta Canada :)  Gotta love local dinosaurs!

I would say that this particular dinosaur could not be associated with unicorns because the legends of magical equines are MUCH older than 1922 and scientists didn't start trying to categorize this fossil type until the beginning of the 1920's.  Most dinosaur excavations happened as a result of oil and gas exploration so prior to humans needing petroleum products, dinosaur remains were really not being found. 

I agree with the earlier statements about rhinos. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 03:13:56 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 02:20:28 PM »
It doesn't seem to say anything about what I once learned from somewhere about medieval people believing that people (I now believe it was people, not just animals) that lived further away from their civilization were distorted because they were believed to be further from God.

So I have never heard that, but it may be that what you read is a distortion of the tendency for people to draw maps of the world with occasionally interesting illustrations of people and creatures from far distant realms. We are talking about very distant locations, however, rather than simply nearby communities.

Good example of this is the Mappa Mundi:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereford_Mappa_Mundi#/media/File:Hereford-Karte.jpg

Link here, you can zoom it to see some of these illustrations. But the idea of further from God is a bit unlikely given the fact mediaeval maps of the world were often drawn with Jerusalem at the centre or at the closest place to God and other well known European places, which some of these individuals may well have known, tended to be placed further out. If you look at the Mappa Mundi, Britain is at the bottom left, far away from 'Heaven' - separated into Anglia (England), Wallia (I think) for Wales and Hibernia (Scotland). This in spite of the fact Mappa Mundi is here in a British cathedral (you can go visit, it's awesome :D)

These cartographers also knew to include many regions (not including the Americas, of course, as they were not known then) which suggests they drew on older evidence as it is unlikely they travelled themselves.

There's also the travels of pilgrims and crusaders which expanded people's horizons across to the middle east. They would doubtless have brought back stories. And then surviving stories from the Roman times which would have described creatures that many people would not have seen.

Whether any of these stories of creatures came from misinformed memory or difficulty explaining animals or images seen in foreign parts is unknown but a distinct possibility. If you look at the Mappa Mundi carefully, there are some odd images interspersed into familiar shapes of buildings and creatures/fish etc, including a man with one foot. But the fact so many creatures are depicted in a more believable way as well suggests that maybe the incorrect ones are drawn from misunderstanding of stories passed between many people, or sketches done and brought back (no cameras!) that maybe emphasised the wrong features.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 02:28:04 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 12:58:42 AM »
This is one of the most interesting threads I've read in a while. I remember reading about the theories of unicorns being narwhals in historyclass somewhere in grade 7, 8 or 9. I believe the topic were discoverers and early world travelers. I just remember this illustrated pic from the textbook with a ship full of chocked saillors who pointed at a narwhal (who looked like a white thumb with a needle pointing out at the top) and the word unicorn written beneath. However, the idea that unicorns were in fact rhinos is what I found most to be true. It is also what was mentioned when I studied archaeology.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal