collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Uk pony con 4 months left!  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • Instagram
Re: Uk pony con 4 months left!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 07:56:18 PM »
Silly Question but im a bit of a noob when it comes to the pony community haha, im guessing pony con changes venue each year? So it is in different parts of the UK? Someone let me know if I got the right end of the stick  :lol:

Yes it generally changes location each year :) my fave location was Birmingham because the building it was in was sooo cool! Brighton was the best location in terms of town/city I had a great weekend by the sea!
Ohh cool! Generally when do you find out the next location? :) Hopefully the next one will be near me so I can come  :lol:

Liverpool isn't that far, although I suppose it depends on whether you drive or not? I'm going from Manchester and it will be 2 hours there and back I think.

Offline emily_katie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 08:10:13 PM »
Silly Question but im a bit of a noob when it comes to the pony community haha, im guessing pony con changes venue each year? So it is in different parts of the UK? Someone let me know if I got the right end of the stick  :lol:

Yes it generally changes location each year :) my fave location was Birmingham because the building it was in was sooo cool! Brighton was the best location in terms of town/city I had a great weekend by the sea!
Ohh cool! Generally when do you find out the next location? :) Hopefully the next one will be near me so I can come  :lol:

Liverpool isn't that far, although I suppose it depends on whether you drive or not? I'm going from Manchester and it will be 2 hours there and back I think.
I don't drive sadly, the train is an option and I do have an old friend who lives in Nottingham but I think the main thing that makes me unable to go is the fact I would be alone, I don't have any pony friends and I don't like travelling to new places alone  :blush: Next year I hope that will change  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:lovey:   Do what you love!  :lovey:

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                               Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 05:10:31 PM »
I think you should see it more positive. You will meet pony people who can become pony friends :) Usually there is this event to get to know each other better.
Or meet up at the train station to go to the hotel together. A few years ago the con was in Eaton. I flew in on Birmingham and took the train to Nottingham. When I was looking how to go further I saw this couple with a :muffin: Pony bag. I felt they were going the same way :) So I said "hi, are you also going to that hotel" And they said yes, and we took a taxi together. Since then I am very happy to see them every time I go.

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 05:46:40 PM »
I think you should see it more positive. You will meet pony people who can become pony friends :) Usually there is this event to get to know each other better.
Or meet up at the train station to go to the hotel together. A few years ago the con was in Eaton. I flew in on Birmingham and took the train to Nottingham. When I was looking how to go further I saw this couple with a :muffin: Pony bag. I felt they were going the same way :) So I said "hi, are you also going to that hotel" And they said yes, and we took a taxi together. Since then I am very happy to see them every time I go.

I agree! I met some great friends through Ponycon. You could ask if anyone is travelling in the same direction as you, or coming from Liverpool? What’s that cheesy saying...a stranger is a friend you just haven’t met yet? Or something like that XD

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 04:56:05 PM »
Deciding to attend a pony meet for the first time is a big deal and it can be intimidating.

I remember the first meet I went to on my own was probably Manchester, when the trains were all messed up, and I ended up going to Chester, then Crewe, then Manchester Airport because there were no actual direct trains from where I was living at the time. I am still amazed I got there but it was really good fun when I did.

I haven't been to every convention, and there are some people who have been going for years and who I've known a long time, and some who don't go any more. So some of the people have changed.

I understand the fear factor - I'm not good at starting conversations with other people that I don't know, and it can be intimidating if it's a whole room of people you don't know. But ponypeople are generally welcoming and friendly, and it is an opportunity to talk ponies with people who will not judge you for your collecting :)

It's obviously up to every individual what they can and can't deal with and what they are happy with. But @emily_katie - just know that if you did decide to come, you would be more than welcome :D Everyone begins somewhere, and a lot of us overcome things like fear, anxiety, and barriers relating to logistics, travel, navigation etc - remember, there are ponies at stake ;)

Also, I don't know what transport is like, but Sunday tends to be a little quieter than Saturday.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+166)
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 08:24:54 PM »
For years, I used to let my social anxiety keep me from going to events like this one where I didn't really know anyone.  And then I went to a local ponymeet. Then, a Fair. Then another meet. And pretty soon, I had more pony friends than I had fingers and toes!   

I still have some anxiety doing anything that involves groups, but it's much MUCH better.  I credit it in most part to getting involved with the pony community and all its wonderful collectors. It helped me step out of my bubble and meet people in a safe and fun environment.

I don't regret going to a single pony event. But I do regret the ones I missed. 

And this year, I finally get to travel across the world to the famous UK PonyCon!  Woot!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 08:28:36 PM by ashlyne »

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
    • Instagram
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 09:27:56 PM »
For years, I used to let my social anxiety keep me from going to events like this one where I didn't really know anyone.  And then I went to a local ponymeet. Then, a Fair. Then another meet. And pretty soon, I had more pony friends than I had fingers and toes!   

I still have some anxiety doing anything that involves groups, but it's much MUCH better.  I credit it in most part to getting involved with the pony community and all its wonderful collectors. It helped me step out of my bubble and meet people in a safe and fun environment.

And this year, I finally get to travel across the world to the famous UK PonyCon!  Woot!

Woohoo that’s so cool that you’re travelling all this way! How long are you in the UK for?

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 08:31:24 PM »

Woohoo that’s so cool that you’re travelling all this way! How long are you in the UK for?

Tues night through Monday, but we're going to travel a bit around those dates. 

Offline Taffeta

• Reverse Gusty Pony
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 09:02:58 PM »

Tues night through Monday, but we're going to travel a bit around those dates. 

Yay :D Everyone should come to ponycon! I hope you have a great trip. Just remember to leave suitcase space for transporting treasures home!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »

Yay :D Everyone should come to ponycon! I hope you have a great trip. Just remember to leave suitcase space for transporting treasures home!

Definitely!!!  I'm most excited about meeting you and all the other members that I only know through online chats.   Luckily memories and new friendships don't take up any luggage space  ;)   

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
    • Instagram
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 12:29:52 PM »

Definitely!!!  I'm most excited about meeting you and all the other members that I only know through online chats.   Luckily memories and new friendships don't take up any luggage space  ;)   

You’ll have an amazing time. Where else are you planning to visit?

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 03:27:04 PM »

You’ll have an amazing time. Where else are you planning to visit?

We haven't totally planned out our vacation (been busy with the US Fair and winding down from that).  But we'll visit a friend one day who lives south of Nottingham.  We both love animals, so looking at options in that category.   I spent a semester at Harlaxton College in Grantham, and would love to visit one of those days since it's not far. 

It's not going to be one of those touristy site-seeing trips this time.   I did a lot of that when I was at school there, and my husband is more of a people person. He'd rather have a nice relaxing vacation, having a good time with people, than spend the day on a crowded tour bus site-seeing.  Luckily our good friend Sebby6 has promised us a rockin' time, no matter what  :biggrin: 

Offline Archer

• *MLP Convention Staff*
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 11:55:28 PM »
Honestly can't wait for Ponycon :) Need to start on my cosplay for it though XD Because of injuries last year i had to go with rewears. but this year i want to make one, just need to decide on a pony to do ^_~

Also, those that are nervous about travelling to ponycon, don't be. People there are super friendly and even if you're travelling alone, you'll make friends when you get there :) I was so nervous when i went to my first ponycon, but i met some great people there and my three absolute best friend are all people i first met at ponycon :)

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2018, 10:52:29 AM »
Oh! i am soo looking forward to this years ponycon!
I wanted to go since i first heard about it and finally, together with my german Ponyladies, we will attent the glorious UK Ponycon! I will probably just faint when we arrive. ;)

the coincidental meep ups before reaching the venue makes such good memories - and future friends!

We will fly over to brighton and then take a train to nottingham! I am so nervous and really hope i will sell some Art to make room for ponies! *o*

Offline Taffeta

• Reverse Gusty Pony
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2018, 01:03:31 PM »
It is really close now!! I will try and bring my beautiful Taffeta tote bag again that PKW made. I will be there on the Saturday with my sister but on my own on the Sunday. I have people I am looking forward to seeing but would love anyone who feels inspired or just wants to chat to come say hi. I am not good at initiating conversations in person but always love to chat to new ponypeople!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|