collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Spray Equipment  (Read 763 times)

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Spray Equipment
« on: June 06, 2018, 01:11:16 AM »
So, brush strokes get me down. Big time. Which has lead to an investigation into paint spraying equipment. However, this is a pricey venture and there is just so much to choose from that I thought that the very best plan would be to ask: what works for you guys? And what didn't?

Not the brand as such, but the technical specs. Is a nail art set sufficient? Or did it die? Does it not hold enough paint? Are there nozzles that clog up or are a pain to work with? Compressors that are too weak or strong? Should one thin the paint? With water? Paint drying time extender?

I am sure these people are purposely vague just so that you will buy their product and THEN learn you should have bought something else. And then you will buy the other thing too.

Please help, I would be so grateful!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: Spray Equipment
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 02:29:02 AM »
I bought a high quality airbrush and compressor, I decided to "go big or go home". It is an investmeant and I hope to have it for a long time. It is best to invest in something that is good quality, rather than buy a cheap airbrush and THEN buy a good airbrush

Here is what I bought:

https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/AA/airbrush-and-compressor-bundles/premium-airbrush-bundle

Is a nail art set sufficient? Or did it die? Pass! It honestly depends. I got an airbrush you can do everything with, so it can be used for Fine art, Illustration, Custom Automotive, Ceramics, Model Painting, Thin Cosmetics, Body Art etc.

Does it not hold enough paint? The cups are small, but yes they do hold enough paint. You actually use less paint when using an airbrush compared to a full body repaint with a brush or sponge.

Are there nozzles that clog up or are a pain to work with? all nozzles clog up, you have to thin any paint that is not airbrush ready. Don't use anything with a needle smaller than 0.3 or it WILL clog up very quickly.

Compressors that are too weak or strong? I can adjust the air pressure on my compressor. I run at a PSI of 22, you need a higher PSI (pressure) to push paint through, compared to say, inks. Acrylic paint has larger partials in it so if the pressure is too low, it won't work very well (it'll clog up, you will get a weak spray and a speckly paint job).

Should one thin the paint? With water? Paint drying time extender? YES to all three, unless it is airbrush ready. You can thin with water and airbrush thinner. In my experience airbrush thinner improver lessens the drying time, so the nozzle gets clogs faster and you get tip dry. Airbrush flow improver slows the drying time a little so i can use my brush longer.

Toptip = always clean your brush after every use to prevent paint build up inside and always keep the tip clean.

ETA as I got two products mixed up.

Love pkw xxx
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 04:15:40 AM by pinkkittywinks »
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 03:17:30 AM »
Thanks pkw, I really appreciate the advice!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 04:14:28 AM »
You are welcome, it took me YEARS to work up the courage to buy an airbrush and since I got one, I have not looked back.

I made a small edit to my above post :blush:

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 09:01:58 PM »
Some great advise from PLS, so I don't have too much to add.

I got a starter model that was around a hundred, I believe, as a gift one year. I still have the compressor and it works just fine, but in less than a year I had to buy a new brush. The cheap-ish one it came with was so hard to clean and put back together. If it didn't give me such a lovely effect after years of being disappointed with brush marks, I would have probably been too discouraged to keep trying. Literally brought me to tears at one point, and then it bent beyond my repair when I dropped it in the sink. It was a pretty penny to get an Iwatta replacement, but it's been working great for years now, and I wish I could have started out with it.

If you were to get a nail art airbrush, I imagine it wouldn't hold enough paint for you and it would often need refilled and possiblely be difficult to control or clean. It might be interesting to try in order to see if you like it, but I think it would just end up being money you could have put towards a better product.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 09:04:40 PM by aintnobuffalo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 12:38:10 AM »
Thank you pkw and aintnobuffalo!

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 03:25:17 AM »
ive got both a cheap nail art set up and  a "propper" compressor with a branded airbrush.

they both get the job done my only gripe with the cheaper set up  is that there is no way so see what the PSI actully is so you have to fiddle with the  nobs a bit to get it right, 

the other issue with the  unbranded set up  is in the parts of the brush its self.  when doing a deep clean on the cheaper one  some  small and very fiddly parts are not anchored to other parts like in the  brand name brush I have, and they are also spring loaded.   so watch out for that.

between the 2 brushes the parts are essensualy the same tho ,  one is more of a pain to clean then the other.

if you just want something to learn on and your not sure if you want to do more with airbushing  then go the cheaper one.    the mini compressors they come with are super compact ,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal