collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Having issues with a defective non-pony purchase  (Read 5494 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Having issues with a defective non-pony purchase
« on: June 03, 2018, 03:49:54 PM »
This is a bit off topic but I have no idea where else to post it.

On May 18th I inquired about getting a ring made in a certain size from an Etsy seller. She let me know how much extra time it would take and how to order it. After trying on rings somewhere else we thought the one she had in stock would be the right size so on May 19th I ordered it and left a note letting her know the size was right after all.

The ring arrived on May 27th and was way too big, like probably 2+ sizes too big, so I messaged the seller to ask her advice on what to do. The band is very thin so I didn't know if it would need to be resized in a certain way. She let me know a few resizing restrictions and suggested I take it to a local jeweler and see what they say. She told me to let her know how it goes. At this point I was planning to have to pay to ship it back to her, pay for her to resize it, and pay for shipping again. Annoying but whatever, its 100% our bad for not being able to figure out my ring size. I obviously had nothing against the seller or the ring and was just annoyed at myself.

On the 30th I wore the ring to work for the first time (on the wrong finger, so it wouldn't fall off) because I was excited to show off our engagement a bit. At lunch the ring fell about 1-2 inches onto a table with very little force and one of the lapis lazuli stones immediately cracked and broke off completely. My fiance was gutted and I was just pissed. A few hours later, once we got off work and had calmed down, I sent a message to the seller letting her know what happened, expressing my disappointment, and asking to just return it. They accept returns in their shop but even if they didn't, clearly the ring is defective. It would've faced the same amount of fall/force if I put it on a post in a ring dish like I had planned to do.

Its been 4 days and the seller has completely ignored my message. At first I was giving her the benefit of the doubt and assumed it was just a single unstable stone, as none of the others cracked, and didn't have any hard feelings. But now I'm getting really upset about this terrible customer service. Since she's refused to respond to my message its now past her listed "ship back within 7 days" return policy. She clearly has internet access because she's posted memes/pet pictures on Facebook every single day since I messaged her. (And I know for sure its her real FB account because I found her Etsy shop through FB.)

Pictures can be seen here since I don't want to deal with resizing them to put in the post itself. I posted photos of the unbroken ring here.

At this point I don't know what to do. Should I just open a case with Etsy at this point? Message her again and see if she'll stop ignoring me?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
Re: Having issues with a defective non-pony purchase
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 05:05:18 PM »
I think you should be done with offering her the benefit of the doubt. She's clearly ignoring you, or at the very least, ignoring her shop- who else is she ignoring if there is a potential there is a quality issue with the materials?

Granted, it sounds like a hell of time with the ring size, but there is something wrong with the product if a stone just breaks. With the frustration that you have already experienced I would encourage you to just be done with it, open a case and move on.

NOTE: I have no patience right now, so my advice will reflect that  xP

Planning a wedding can be stressful enough without adding to it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:07:59 PM by Sweet Daes »

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 05:24:39 PM »
I agree with Sweet Daes. I would just go ahead and open a case.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 07:15:40 PM »
Thanks guys. That's what I was leaning towards but I wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable. If it was cheaper costumer jewelry maybe I'd be more forgiving but this ring design is $100 to $400 in most stones... they shouldn't break like this.

Looking through Etsy I can only find one way to open a case for an item that arrived - "The order I received does not match its description". There's a dropdown of selections with "Damaged" but all the others are just about being sent the wrong item. It says stuff like "Upload photos that show the difference between the item and its description". Is this the right way to open the case or should I be looking somewhere else? I don't think I've ever had to file a case on Etsy before.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 10:38:54 PM »
I've never used Etsy, so I'll let someone who has experience with the site answer that question. Sorry.

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 01:46:55 AM »
To me it's not defective, as the item hit the floor, even smoothly, you're never safe for somethin' to broke.
After, it's the seller fault on the ring size I guess, so you can base your claim on the wrong size making it difficult to wear and causing the fall who broke it.
I'll just open a case to ask for return/remplacement or refund? As the vendor is not correct to it's end.
Great luck with that!

Edit:
"The order I received does not match its description" - you can so claim the wrong size?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:48:48 AM by ColdRuru »

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 03:53:48 AM »
I would open a case. Also as a side note, you want to choose an engagement ring that is practical for everyday wear. I found this the hard way with a beautiful ring that was very comfy to wear but has a bumpy part that would snag jumpers/loose clothes. I ended up sending it back to he jeweller to have her alter it slightly. Still not good that the ring broke and wasn’t fit for purpose but it looks like it was never be meant to be an everyday rings anyway.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 04:05:52 AM »
To me it's not defective, as the item hit the floor, even smoothly, you're never safe for somethin' to broke.
After, it's the seller fault on the ring size I guess, so you can base your claim on the wrong size making it difficult to wear and causing the fall who broke it.
I'll just open a case to ask for return/remplacement or refund? As the vendor is not correct to it's end.
Great luck with that!

Edit:
"The order I received does not match its description" - you can so claim the wrong size?

To answer your first part, it did NOT hit the floor. It hit a table. It feel a maximum of two (2) inches. A ring being sold for about $100 (or much, much more for the other stone types) should not break because it falls 2 inches. Normal use of your hands is much more intense than such a short drop. And I did NOT wear it on the finger it falls straight off of; I wore it on the wrong finger so it wouldn't fall. I clearly mentioned that. It was in my hand when it fell 1-2 inches (which I think is about 2.5 to 5 cm) onto the table.

For the second part, NO! Goodness! I have very clearly taken responsibility for the size being wrong. That is 100% my fault. But the ring broke in less than a week from a very tiny drop onto a table. That is unacceptable, period. That is my complaint and that is why I'm not sure how to file the claim. I can't find a way to report it for anything other than "not as described" so I'm asking if that section is the right place to file a claim or if there's another way to do so, which I clearly stated.

Please stop making assumptions about me that are all addressed in the very first post.

I would open a case. Also as a side note, you want to choose an engagement ring that is practical for everyday wear. I found this the hard way with a beautiful ring that was very comfy to wear but has a bumpy part that would snag jumpers/loose clothes. I ended up sending it back to he jeweller to have her alter it slightly. Still not good that the ring broke and wasn’t fit for purpose but it looks like it was never be meant to be an everyday rings anyway.

Actually the artist advertises the style with other stones as engagement rings. That plus the fact that the description says nothing about not being suitable for daily wear have me the impression it would work. I figured it would be somewhat of a pain given the design so I barely even wore it (taking it off to wash my hands/shower, eat, wear gloves, do housework, etc) but I never expected this. Its such a shame ):

Luckily I've found another more experienced team of jewelers that are very up front about everything and what ideas might not suit a daily ring.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 04:11:25 AM by Taxel »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 04:17:07 AM »
:( How disappointing...

Unfortunately I never had to make a return on Etsy so I don't know the best selection.

Just a thought. In general -- are lapis lazuli stones fragile at all? Is it possible she used poor quality or defective stones? (Just seeing if that might be something to help build your case).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 05:23:27 AM »

I agree with getting a ring that's practical. Although you may want one that's unique, just keep in mind that if something happens, you're not covered (unless you buy insurance specifically for it) and it may not be replaceable. My husband bought me one at a store that you can find anywhere with a lifetime guarantee if a stone falls out or if I need it resized or cleaned, it'll be done for free (which is good, because I have had it resized a couple times, as I have changed meds and my fingers have shrunk).

My husband's ring, on the other hand, was unique and he lost it right away. So we had to buy a new one (a cheaper one), which he lost again, so he's on his third... (He needs to stop wearing his ring jetskiing).

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 05:26:58 AM »
:( How disappointing...

Unfortunately I never had to make a return on Etsy so I don't know the best selection.

Just a thought. In general -- are lapis lazuli stones fragile at all? Is it possible she used poor quality or defective stones? (Just seeing if that might be something to help build your case).

According to the Mohs Scale, they are supposed to be between 5 or 6. I am by no means a gemologist or mineralogist, but in my VERY VERY VERY VERY limited experience with them they are pretty fragile from the start, especially if the stones are cut thin and have flaws that go unnoticed (cracks, pock marks, etc) which will affect structural integrity. Unlike diamonds (that are a 10 on the Mohs scale), their structure is much more likely to be compromised by flaws in the stone, or just being cut in general.

You can read a bit more here about the stone.

The fact that this was advertised as an engagement ring is head-tilting, especially since the stones are set- lapis does not naturally "grow" in a "flower" form. The petals for the lotus blossom had to be cut and set that way. Being that it's shards versus a chunk like a regular rock makes the lapis one of the worst types of rock to use for a ring with that sort of setting. Lapis is really delicate and can be affected by even makeup/moisturizing chemicals; can be scratched/marred pretty easily; and heat can affect them- especially if the stone isn't 100% undyed lapis where there is a wax coating to protect the dyed surface. It's not a stone that is recommend to wear on your hands...

The thing is, not very many people know this. I learned this from working at my local Renaissance Festival. I met a gentleman that made his own jewelry, and he knew his rocks. If something was fragile then he'd tell you. It just adds to the idea that the seller is ignorant of her product, or doesn't care to inform her customers as it may deter them from buying.

Please excuse me- I am rambling. I'm frustrated for the OP's situation.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 05:43:23 AM »
According to the Mohs Scale, they are supposed to be between 5 or 6. I am by no means a gemologist or mineralogist, but in my VERY VERY VERY VERY limited experience with them they are pretty fragile from the start, especially if the stones are cut thin and have flaws that go unnoticed (cracks, pock marks, etc) which will affect structural integrity. Unlike diamonds (that are a 10 on the Mohs scale), their structure is much more likely to be compromised by flaws in the stone, or just being cut in general.

You can read a bit more here about the stone.

The fact that this was advertised as an engagement ring is head-tilting, especially since the stones are set- lapis does not naturally "grow" in a "flower" form. The petals for the lotus blossom had to be cut and set that way. Being that it's shards versus a chunk like a regular rock makes the lapis one of the worst types of rock to use for a ring with that sort of setting. Lapis is really delicate and can be affected by even makeup/moisturizing chemicals; can be scratched/marred pretty easily; and heat can affect them- especially if the stone isn't 100% undyed lapis where there is a wax coating to protect the dyed surface. It's not a stone that is recommend to wear on your hands...

The thing is, not very many people know this. I learned this from working at my local Renaissance Festival. I met a gentleman that made his own jewelry, and he knew his rocks. If something was fragile then he'd tell you. It just adds to the idea that the seller is ignorant of her product, or doesn't care to inform her customers as it may deter them from buying.

Please excuse me- I am rambling. I'm frustrated for the OP's situation.

I'm frustrated for her too :(

If something was that fragile, then it really should of been mentioned.

As you said, being labeled as an engagement ring, you'd expect someone to wear it constantly.. and it should be able to handle just general wear and tear (like a gentle 1" fall onto a table.)

-_-

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 08:56:11 AM »
Hey Taxel my friend, my advice to  you is to not go through the Etsy system to file your case, but instead go through paypal if you used paypal.  If you used paypal this is the best way to get this resolved as item is not as described.  If you paid some other way then I really have no idea how things will go with the Etsy system as they are quite different in how they do refunds.  Next time you have a ring made.  Get some duct tape.  Fold it over and make a ring out of it for your finger that you can slip on and off the way you want it to.  Mail that to  your ring maker.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 01:08:43 PM »
Oh wow, I had no idea lapis was so fragile! We chose it because it looks somewhat like a blue rose in that setting. I'll admit I was a bit worried when the ring arrived and it looked like the stones were glued in but I figured the artist knew what she was doing... I even mentioned in the message on May 27th that we were using it as an engagement ring so I'd be wearing it a lot. If she knew lapis was too fragile for that she could've mentioned it then and I could've returned it before the ring broke. I have a feeling she doesn't know much about the stones because the descriptions are basically all metaphysical things. There's nothing about quality, hardness, etc.

Unfortunately I didn't go through Paypal, Tula ): I didn't even think of it. I haven't wanted to give PP access to my new bank account but I suppose I'll finally have to bite the bullet and just do it with how much I'll be buying on Etsy soon.

Offline Emberfly

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I Want to Sticker the World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 01:56:30 PM »
I hope this gets sorted out in your favour.  I agree with what others are saying that an everyday ring should be made for everyday wear and not with a fragile design or stone.  What I'm curious about is what's the actual size of the ring?  Did you take it to a jewellery store to have the ring sized?  If you were pretty sure the size should work for you, did she size the ring right when she listed it?  I was sized wrong for a ring once and I know it could just be a mistake but it'd be nice to know for sure.  If you wanted any future ring sizing advice, when I would size a person's finger and they said a size felt good, I'd always have them try on the smaller size to be sure.  I'd keep going until it feels tight.  Also, make sure you're using sizing rings a similar thickness to the band of the ring you're planning to get, it actually makes a difference.  Good luck.
Thank you to SquarePeg for my beautiful avi.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal