TCB > Trader & Shipping Support

Having issues with a defective non-pony purchase

(1/7) > >>

Taxel:
This is a bit off topic but I have no idea where else to post it.

On May 18th I inquired about getting a ring made in a certain size from an Etsy seller. She let me know how much extra time it would take and how to order it. After trying on rings somewhere else we thought the one she had in stock would be the right size so on May 19th I ordered it and left a note letting her know the size was right after all.

The ring arrived on May 27th and was way too big, like probably 2+ sizes too big, so I messaged the seller to ask her advice on what to do. The band is very thin so I didn't know if it would need to be resized in a certain way. She let me know a few resizing restrictions and suggested I take it to a local jeweler and see what they say. She told me to let her know how it goes. At this point I was planning to have to pay to ship it back to her, pay for her to resize it, and pay for shipping again. Annoying but whatever, its 100% our bad for not being able to figure out my ring size. I obviously had nothing against the seller or the ring and was just annoyed at myself.

On the 30th I wore the ring to work for the first time (on the wrong finger, so it wouldn't fall off) because I was excited to show off our engagement a bit. At lunch the ring fell about 1-2 inches onto a table with very little force and one of the lapis lazuli stones immediately cracked and broke off completely. My fiance was gutted and I was just pissed. A few hours later, once we got off work and had calmed down, I sent a message to the seller letting her know what happened, expressing my disappointment, and asking to just return it. They accept returns in their shop but even if they didn't, clearly the ring is defective. It would've faced the same amount of fall/force if I put it on a post in a ring dish like I had planned to do.

Its been 4 days and the seller has completely ignored my message. At first I was giving her the benefit of the doubt and assumed it was just a single unstable stone, as none of the others cracked, and didn't have any hard feelings. But now I'm getting really upset about this terrible customer service. Since she's refused to respond to my message its now past her listed "ship back within 7 days" return policy. She clearly has internet access because she's posted memes/pet pictures on Facebook every single day since I messaged her. (And I know for sure its her real FB account because I found her Etsy shop through FB.)

Pictures can be seen here since I don't want to deal with resizing them to put in the post itself. I posted photos of the unbroken ring here.

At this point I don't know what to do. Should I just open a case with Etsy at this point? Message her again and see if she'll stop ignoring me?

Sweet Daes:
I think you should be done with offering her the benefit of the doubt. She's clearly ignoring you, or at the very least, ignoring her shop- who else is she ignoring if there is a potential there is a quality issue with the materials?

Granted, it sounds like a hell of time with the ring size, but there is something wrong with the product if a stone just breaks. With the frustration that you have already experienced I would encourage you to just be done with it, open a case and move on.

NOTE: I have no patience right now, so my advice will reflect that  xP

Planning a wedding can be stressful enough without adding to it.

northstar3184:
I agree with Sweet Daes. I would just go ahead and open a case.

Taxel:
Thanks guys. That's what I was leaning towards but I wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable. If it was cheaper costumer jewelry maybe I'd be more forgiving but this ring design is $100 to $400 in most stones... they shouldn't break like this.

Looking through Etsy I can only find one way to open a case for an item that arrived - "The order I received does not match its description". There's a dropdown of selections with "Damaged" but all the others are just about being sent the wrong item. It says stuff like "Upload photos that show the difference between the item and its description". Is this the right way to open the case or should I be looking somewhere else? I don't think I've ever had to file a case on Etsy before.

northstar3184:
I've never used Etsy, so I'll let someone who has experience with the site answer that question. Sorry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version