collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to deflock easily? Best methods, advice??  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Water Lily

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Hi Everypony!
    • View Profile
How to deflock easily? Best methods, advice??
« on: June 27, 2018, 10:53:03 PM »
About to get some gals that will be needing to be deflocked! What are the best ways every pony? What items do you suggest to do so? Any advice or tips are appreciated! Found a great guide but want to get different opinions!! :)
You can never go wrong with being kind. :good:

Offline SparkleSkye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
  • I have anxiety pls be nice to me
    • View Profile
Re: How to deflock easily? Best methods, advice??
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 06:06:11 AM »
Hot water and a fingernair/something to scrape with to remove most of the flocking itself. Depending on the condition of the glue, that might be all you need.
If the glue is tougher and sticks around after the flocking is gone, pure acetone on cotton balls and hard scrubbing (be very careful to avoid symbols as the acetone will remove those as well). Wash with warm soapy water any time you take a break just to ensure the acetone is all washed off.
For the glue still over symbols use 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and the same method as with the acetone. Make sure to do both in a well ventilated area.
Sparkleworks and Autumn Skye are girlfriends

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 06:28:19 AM »
There is no easy way :)  Lots of scrubbing and delicate care to make sure you're not damaging paint.  Use gloves and a ventilated area for the acetone and the isopropyl.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 07:20:26 AM »
It really seems to vary from pony to pony how easily it comes off, even using the same method. Like I once deflocked a Skippity Doo with pure acetone and boy, the flocking just stripped off beautifully.  A day later I tried the same stuff on a Paradise and she was having none of it!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 09:49:50 AM »
I start with hot water to loosen the glue and once most of Te flocking has been rubbed off, I use non-acetone nail polish remover to get the remaining glue off. I like non-acetone nail polish remover because it's less harsh on the pony and doesn't remove the pain quite so easily. I also water it down a bit.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 11:10:27 AM »
It really seems to vary from pony to pony how easily it comes off, even using the same method. Like I once deflocked a Skippity Doo with pure acetone and boy, the flocking just stripped off beautifully.  A day later I tried the same stuff on a Paradise and she was having none of it!

This has been my experience as well.

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 11:16:36 AM »
I scrub and scrape under hot water to remove 90% of the flocking, then use isopropyl alcohol to help remove the rest of the residue. I don't use acetone at all because I'm a little clumsy sometimes, and I don't trust myself not to accidentally smear the paint. :blush:

Some ponies take readily to deflocking and some you really have to fight with. Don't get discouraged if you get a stubborn one!

Also, I hate to be That Guy, but as a PSA: please don't deflock a pony with only minor issues unless you're making it a permanent addition to your collection. There's a shortage of nice So Softs in this world; t'would be a pity to damage yours. ;)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 12:30:59 PM »
Hot water + oxy, scrub, scrape and then acetone on everything but the symbols. Use 90% rubbing alcohol on the symbols and eyes.

Offline Water Lily

• Hi Everypony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 03:34:06 PM »
I scrub and scrape under hot water to remove 90% of the flocking, then use isopropyl alcohol to help remove the rest of the residue. I don't use acetone at all because I'm a little clumsy sometimes, and I don't trust myself not to accidentally smear the paint. :blush:

Some ponies take readily to deflocking and some you really have to fight with. Don't get discouraged if you get a stubborn one!

Also, I hate to be That Guy, but as a PSA: please don't deflock a pony with only minor issues unless you're making it a permanent addition to your collection. There's a shortage of nice So Softs in this world; t'would be a pity to damage yours. ;)
Thank you I will keep that in mibd for my Cupcake as shes in good condition!

Post Merge: June 28, 2018, 03:35:41 PM

Thank you everyone! Would non acetone nail polish remover and 90% alcohol take place of the acetone? Were do you get that stuff anyway?  :blush:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:35:41 PM by Water Lily »

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 04:18:01 PM »
Thank you everyone! Would non acetone nail polish remover and 90% alcohol take place of the acetone? Were do you get that stuff anyway?  :blush:

No, you would have a hard time getting it off without acetone. You can buy acetone from Amazon I believe? It’s also common in beauty supply stores. The isopropyl alcohol is only good for really getting the fiddly bits off on top of symbols and eyes. It’s still quite hard work but it doesn’t take the symbols off like acetone does.

Offline Water Lily

• Hi Everypony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 08:29:28 PM »

No, you would have a hard time getting it off without acetone. You can buy acetone from Amazon I believe? It’s also common in beauty supply stores. The isopropyl alcohol is only good for really getting the fiddly bits off on top of symbols and eyes. It’s still quite hard work but it doesn’t take the symbols off like acetone does.
Thank you for letting me know! I watched a video and the girl soaked it in oxy clean and hot water and then did the acetone. Do toothbrushes work well for scrubbing??

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 11:20:29 PM »

You can find acetone at everyday stores like Target or Walmart. It will be stocked with the nail polish remover. Just be sure have ID ready, because sometimes you get carded when buying it. :lol: Or you can get it at a beauty supply store like Sally's or even hardware stores. You don't need to use acetone to deflock though, if you don't feel like buying it. I never use it myself, even though I have a bunch on hand for other purposes. :)

Thank you for letting me know! I watched a video and the girl soaked it in oxy clean and hot water and then did the acetone. Do toothbrushes work well for scrubbing??

OxyClean seems like overkill to me, unless the pony is yucky inside. There's nothing in an OxyClean bath that would loosen the flocking any better than plain hot water. It's basically just soda ash and hydrogen peroxide, neither of which would be very effective solvents. And it's not always kind to pony hair, so I would personally skip the OxyClean if deflocking a vibrantly-haired pony like Skippety or Paradise. The only benefit I can think is that it might help brighten yellowed glue, so it doesn't show as much if you miss some spots?

For scrubbing, I usually use my own fingers and sort of do a deep tissue massage/indian burn maneuver on the pony, which makes the flocking come off in lovely, disgusting clumps. You could use a brush too, although that might not be as satisfying. ;) I don't know if a toothbrush would be large and firm enough to be worth it, maybe try a nail brush if a toothbrush doesn't work out?

After that, I often use my fingernails to scrape up the leftovers, but popsicle sticks work too, and orange sticks are nice for getting into little crevices like the mouth and eye creases and wing/horn details. I've heard some people have had success using knives to scrape the glue off, but I would probably do more harm than good if I tried that. :lol:

It may seem like there's a lot of collective wisdom in the MLP community (and there is!) but over time I think people settle in to their own unique way of doing things that works best for them. I'm sure once you get a couple deflocks under your belt that you'll develop your own favorite methods. Don't be afraid to try out a few different approaches to find what gets you the best results. :)

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 04:41:23 AM »
I would hesitate to say that mine are the 'best' methods. They are simply what work for me. I don't boil my ponies as I like to try to maintain their original curl is possible and there are also certain hair colours which can run if you choose to boil. But that is my own personal opinion: I like original curl.

I always 'behead' the ponies first as they spend a lot of time in water and there is just no way to avoid getting it inside the pony no matter how careful you think you might have been. I don't want issues later with rust/mold.

Next I remove the tail and clip up the mane with a small crocodile style hair clip. I will then clean the pony inside as best I can before moving on.

Then: I put hot water into a bowl, as hot as I can stand to put my hands in to without scalding myself. For the body I will let it sit in the water for a few seconds, but for the head I normally just hold it in- keeping the mane out as hot water is the enemy of those curls which I so love.

Next I will smear a small area with liquid dish soap (a brand which is only available in SA, but I am sure you have soap which is just as good where you are) and scrape at it with my favourite tool: a fish knife. This gets the flocking off without damaging the pony and also without ruining my nails. You know you need to repeat this step once the flocking starts to become more difficult to get off. The fish knife has a handy point which helps in getting into the creases above the eyes and in the ears as well as in the winged ponies' wings. It also works great for removing the flocking from between the plugs of the mane - yes, there is flocking there too - and from in the type under the feet.

Once I have removed all the flocking with this step I use 100% acetone on cotton buds - the ones you use for your ears - to very slowly and carefully remove the glue and any remaining tiny pieces of flocking from the rest of the pony. However, don't go near any paint on the pony with these as others have said. It will be smudged / completely removed. Acetone is what customisers use to remove the symbols from bait ponies for a good reason: it works. I find acetone more effective than rubbing alcohol in removing the glue.

After that I use surgical spirits (rubbing alcohol) on cotton balls to remove the glue from over the symbols and around the eyes.

Now the next step is important: wash the entire pony with soap and water and rinse thoroughly. You should never leave a pony to stand after you have used a strong chemical on it. Even if you do not manage to complete removing the glue, rather wash the pony and come back and complete the process another day.

Then I will wash the mane with shampoo and cover the whole pony with conditioner and leave it to sit for about 10/15 minutes before rinsing inside and out and carefully styling the mane back into its curls. Just remember not to use hot or even too warm water on the mane if you want to keep those curls.

I leave the pony to dry for about a week to make sure that there is absolutely no water inside whatsoever. and even then I will turn it upside down and make sure none comes running out of the legs.

And just to echo what has been said before: please consider not deflocking ponies unless they are in a bad state. And please share your photos once you are done  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal