collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: stupid things sellers do (tell me)  (Read 16432 times)

Offline cookifaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • My real pony is jealous of my vinyl ponies.
    • View Profile
Re: stupid things sellers do (tell me)
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2018, 09:06:09 AM »
I have another one, it's nowhere near as bad as my other story,  but it was still a little bit annoying.

When I bought my Crimp and Curl Hair Salon bundle for a fiver, I was originally sent the wrong thing. I thought the box looked a little small, but because I didn't know what was actually in the bundle, I didn't think much of it (the pictures were blurry, all I could see was a tabby cat).

When I opened it, there was two dolls and I was really confused. I contacted the seller and she was very apologetic and said that there must  have been a mix up with the labelling and actually refunded the payment cost to get it sent back. She said she would post the pony stuff straight away and that as an apology she had thrown in some more stuff she had found since I'd bought it (it was cherry sweets apron and some baby accessories, which I was really happy about seeing as been searching for the apron for years) for free.

Three weeks later the bundle I'd bought arrived via next day shipping. She said she'd posted it right away but the label said the day before. I was a little bit annoyed because the dolls had got back to her over two weeks before I got my pony mail, but at least I got it in the end!

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2018, 01:09:16 PM »
Who else has bought ponies that don't mention a smell, and you get them and they wreak of smoke?

Baby Hopscotch. She was perfect apart from the fact she stank. She even had factory curls.  :yikes:

Oh dear! If you still have this otherwise perfect pony, the baking soda kitty litter trick works wonders. Pour baking soda cat litter into the bottom of a plastic container with a lid. Put a towel over the litter. Put the pony in the box and seal it up... then leave it alone for 6 months or so, longer if you must. Rotate the pony occasionally. If she's really, really bad and the above method doesn't help, you can stick her in a bag with kitty litter, or immerse her in it. After a while the pony should smell fine! I've fixed some pretty stinky ponies this way. You just have to be patient...

I haven't so much had weird seller interactions (the stinky ponies all came from Craigslist so I knew what I was in for) but once asked a buyer in a vintage toy shop how much he would offer for a very nice Skyflier. The place aims at a collector clientele, not kids. This Skyflier had perfect glitter and a ribbon. The buyer accused me of touching up her glitter (in fact he suggested it had been customization, since as far as I could tell he didn't even know some ponies came with glitter, then tried to cover by saying he'd never seen one that old with that much glitter) said he thought the bow was a replacement, and offered me three dollars cash, five dollars store credit. The glitter and bow were both original.

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2018, 03:17:34 PM »
Who else has bought ponies that don't mention a smell, and you get them and they wreak of smoke?

Baby Hopscotch. She was perfect apart from the fact she stank. She even had factory curls.  :yikes:

Oh dear! If you still have this otherwise perfect pony, the baking soda kitty litter trick works wonders. Pour baking soda cat litter into the bottom of a plastic container with a lid. Put a towel over the litter. Put the pony in the box and seal it up... then leave it alone for 6 months or so, longer if you must. Rotate the pony occasionally. If she's really, really bad and the above method doesn't help, you can stick her in a bag with kitty litter, or immerse her in it. After a while the pony should smell fine! I've fixed some pretty stinky ponies this way. You just have to be patient...

I haven't so much had weird seller interactions (the stinky ponies all came from Craigslist so I knew what I was in for) but once asked a buyer in a vintage toy shop how much he would offer for a very nice Skyflier. The place aims at a collector clientele, not kids. This Skyflier had perfect glitter and a ribbon. The buyer accused me of touching up her glitter (in fact he suggested it had been customization, since as far as I could tell he didn't even know some ponies came with glitter, then tried to cover by saying he'd never seen one that old with that much glitter) said he thought the bow was a replacement, and offered me three dollars cash, five dollars store credit. The glitter and bow were both original.
Betting you he'd have turned around and priced her for $20+ and boasted of the original ribbon had you sold her to him.
should be perma-moderated

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
I have only two that I can remember at this moment.
One I was a newbie buyer. And I bought the collector set of ponies. I was really thrilled and excited but I got them like a month or two after I bought them. That made me worried and wondered why they took so long. :/
Two I got a lot of ponies once and they all had their heads glued on with like super glue. That was fun trying to clean those girls up. :/
None of them that I can remember are super bad thankfully.

Offline darknessunisousboy

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • http://darknesscustomshack.webs.com/
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2018, 08:06:12 AM »
How about the old vintage rare pinkie pies. Or anything newer than 1999 being vintage. It bugs me. Or MIP but took out for photos.

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2018, 11:13:39 PM »
I have had all relatively great sellers but when I'm searching for ponies online, people that can't be bothered to ID or even TRY when selling ponies do get me. I saw one of the flocked, paper-mache-material crap dollar store fakies the other day listed as an "unnamed vintage prototype MLP- very rare"
Seriously dude? Who do you think you're even fooling? It was priced at like $20+ or so. I see soo many fakies listed this way!
And when sellers list G3 or G4 as "G2" or list G3 as "vintage"
There are so many ID sites, seriously!
I have to admit I've bought a couple "G2's" because they were extremely cheap mint condition G3's I was looking for. Bugged me as I did it though because it was supporting people who will never ID anything before selling. >.> (I seriously hate on the FB groups the floods and floods of posts asking to ID a crapload of ponies, I've even gotten private messages asking the same thing- I only have agreed once, a friend referred them to me in a G1 group for my "G3 knowledge" and I was flattered, and the person asked politely so I agreed to help her out, ID'd about 20+ ponies for someone and never even got a thank you, they said "U looking 2 buy?" and when I said 'thank you, but that I had those ponies' [it was mostly baity main 6, other generic G4s, a couple relatively bad shape very common G1s] but I wished them luck, and nothing- no thanks or reply. Why did I bother! >.< There are several extremely simple, easy to use ID sites out there for ponies, it's just laziness when people are begging others to ID them all for them in mass amounts. I used to love helping people ID but I've found a lot of them are just lazy and/or rude and it has burnt me out on it. :( But anyway, that is a bit of a tangent there!)

Fortunately all my sellers have been very lovely. I did have one person on FB that sold me a Baby Seashimmer and Moonstone who I have been dying for, they disclosed Seashimmer had marks on her but between the lighting and her angles I did not realize just how many marks she had! She looks very dusty but is actually just very stained, not to mention blue/brown stains all over- those I knew about, though. But I did not say a word and thanked her dearly because Moonstone was in great shape (ALL her glitter!!! :heart: ) and I got them at a very discounted price for buying both and desperately wanted both, and she DID disclose that she had marks so there was nothing to truly complain about. She also stuck a lovely little note in the package! I keep all my "Pony People" notes. I am keeping her, I do love being a safe haven for "baity" or marked up ponies! As long as it is not truly, irredeemably awful, I love all ponies.

I was slightly concerned when my My Pretty Pony came wrapped in newspaper but it didn't affect her or her box or accessories at all, and they were Hawaiian newspapers from the 80's with some juicy stories so honestly I had fun reading them. XD Just glad she is hard plastic like you guys were saying, so she didn't get the ink on her!

I am so sorry for those of you who have gotten terrible sellers or had poor experiences buying ponies!! D: Ponies and toy collecting should be a fun hobby we can all enjoy and it really disappoints me when people gatekeep or scam or are rude/belittling to others. These are TOYS, this should be fun!! D:

my Munchy!  that was a a hilarious tale to try and get clean XD  she no longer stinks XD

OH THAT'S RIGHT! 

You inadvertently bought Rastafarian Munchy, I remember!!!

OH MY GOD I remember this so vividly!!! I have told all my friends this story and they're all dudes and not a single one is a pony collector but they all bust up laughing at this story. Munchy, of all ponies! XD

Still reading through this thread but just recently someone threw a link in the shoutbox of an outrageously priced Pinkie Pie G4 diary on Ebay? It had to have been a McDonald's prize or something, it was so cheap. I think it was like $10,000 it was listed at, eh? I can't remember exactly. All I remember is laughing.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:49:31 PM by Esbayne »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2018, 08:02:00 AM »
oh gosh, this thread XD I've never heard the McDonald's story before, how crazy! People are insane...

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2018, 02:46:41 PM »
@Duenia - Any mislabelling of generation annoys me, but more it annoys me when the words cutie mark or brony appear in a G1 auction title/description. The historian in me demands terms are correctly used and not anachronistically applied...
A local Letgo listing has 2 g1s and a g2. It says it's 3 ponies from 84-87 (one is 97, Skyskimmer) and the description leads with "any bronies out there?"
I politely messaged them to tell them one is a g2 from a decade later.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Nella

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2018, 10:11:48 AM »
This is a first and hopefully last! I agreed on buying a pony lot (primarily for my daughter but it also had some nice g1 accessories in it) for a reasonable price. Really was glad with it! Paid the seller and he/she went to the postal office (or that's what was messaged to me). Instead of tracking info I received a message that he/she re-thought the sale and wanted more money. Unwilling I finally agreed to pay almost double for it because I really wanted them and the seller threatened to sell to someone else.

I received the lot in great condition but received a message afterwards because the seller wanted a part of it back. I refused and received nasty messages saying how bad I am etc....... ?!?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:24:11 AM by Nella »
Link to my salesthread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,377651.0.html.

Link to my thread with available FTB's: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,394652.0.html.

No pony will be left behind! Please come check for the pony's in need of some TLC over here: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397984.0.html.

Offline cookifaa

• Ouchy Roids Pony
  • My real pony is jealous of my vinyl ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2018, 03:34:46 PM »
I have one from just a few days ago too, its not so much bad, but hilarious at the same time.

I bought 3 ponies from the same seller, and they came all together in a box, wrapped in newspaper (luckily there was no ink transfer). As soon as I opened the box there was an overwhelming smell of something illegal, I don't even need to say what it was, its obvious :lol:

Me and my brother had a good laugh over how obvious and strong the smell was and the fact that they hadn't even tired to mask it, and the ponies are currently sitting in a tub of cat litter to try and get rid of the smell! :lol:

Offline anthologia

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • a collection : gathering flowers
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2018, 07:59:33 PM »
I had someone agree to hold a lot of hair for me until payday, then sell it to someone else without so much as letting me now! Sure, that agreement was not binding but still!  :(

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2018, 09:29:05 AM »
I have one from just a few days ago too, its not so much bad, but hilarious at the same time.

I bought 3 ponies from the same seller, and they came all together in a box, wrapped in newspaper (luckily there was no ink transfer). As soon as I opened the box there was an overwhelming smell of something illegal, I don't even need to say what it was, its obvious :lol:

Me and my brother had a good laugh over how obvious and strong the smell was and the fact that they hadn't even tired to mask it, and the ponies are currently sitting in a tub of cat litter to try and get rid of the smell! :lol:

I find this particularly amusing because that "something illegal" is legal where I am. :P
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2018, 09:38:21 AM »
As soon as I opened the box there was an overwhelming smell of something illegal, I don't even need to say what it was, its obvious :lol:

I had this happen with a custom pony swap. It was super tacky, gross and made me never want to swap with that person again. Legal or not.

I'd feel the same if it was cigarette smoke or the reek of beer or cat pee, baby puke... anything. It's all just as gross to come with something like a swap pony :huh:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:40:41 AM by BlackCurtains »

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2018, 11:20:48 AM »
I have a couple of stories as well.

I bought 2 MOCs from a seller on the Swedish forum druvdalen. Seller was a mod and highly respectable. Package arrived and the ponies were in a bubblemailer. She had had the sense to use more bubblewrap but still. Luckily the cards and bubble was whole, I have no idea how that was but I was so glad for it! I never dared mention it because of the sellers status on the board. Eventually she dissapeared when it came out she was not as trustworthy as people thought.

Another respectable seller on the same board became a member on another forum I had been lurking on for a while. There I saw her brag about how she bought ponies cheap on ebay and sold them for a lot more on our forum with lots of sarkasm and  mock smileys attatched to the post. It was not a scam but knowing how friendly and kind she was on our forum and realising she was so two faced made me cringe. I never said anything about that either but also never bought anything from her again.

A (former) friend, also collector, sold me one of her childhood ponies which was in gorgeous condition. Since I know how I feel about my childhoodherd I asked her several times if she was going to regret it and she said she was not. A year later she asked for the pony back. Knowing our conversations prior to the affair I said no. She offered to get me another one but I knew that finding a new one in that condition would be almost impossible so I refused. Sorry but sold is sold especially after such a long time. I got a lot of backlash for it from other people as well but didn't care.

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2018, 02:06:22 PM »
I had made a deal to buy one of the dance 'n prance ponies in great condition from a local seller. We had already set a date and time of when I could meet the seller. Mind you, due to a friend living near I was willing to take the over one hour car trip to where the seller lived.
...the evening before I get an email that she won't sell it. That was it. No further info before I asked myself, seemingly the reason was her kids didn't want to give it up! Ugh. It was so frustrating.
And then there's this lovely thing a nearby recycle center, basicaly our countrys equilevant of goodwill, does whenever they havd ponies on sale. The price tags ARE TAPED ON THE PONIES. Every time there's a pony there, it has the sticker price tag that is held down by a tape that goes around it's body!

Post Merge: June 24, 2018, 02:12:58 PM

And if we are bringing thrift store pricing to this thread, I need to tell my favorite. It's so hilarious that I need to make it's own reply of it:
I was at a thrift shop. Probably the same seller considering how uncommon G1s are here had rented both a table place and a glass cabinet place.
 In the glass cabinet, we have Lemon Drop and Bubbles both about 12 euros each. And on the regular thrift shop table? We have REGENTROPFEN FOR LIKE 4 EUROS and Tex.
The more I think about it, the more hilarious it gets. The overly common Lemon drop for 12€ on a glass cabinet, meanwhile the collector favorite Regentropfen at a regular table for 4€!!! The seller clearly knew nothing about ponies. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:12:58 PM by CinnamonOnions »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal