collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone seen the baby Hippogriffs?  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone seen the baby Hippogriffs?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 08:33:34 PM »
I forgot about these guys!! I hope they're more widely released soon.  :(

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 08:53:14 PM »
I bought mine from Amazon from a private seller.  I haven't seen even a tiny hint of the things being released in the USA at any major retailer.  I'm betting they would have shown up at TRU if it hadn't gone bankrupt.  The most likely place for them to show up now are discount stores(Dollar Tree, Big Lots, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc).  That's the usual dumping ground for anything that Hasbro's horrid distribution does this to.  If they end up there, I'd expect them in the next 6 months or so, maybe up to a year.

I don't know if this is still the case, but I knew someone who tried to create a small online store for the G3s back in the day.  She told me some very interesting information about how Hasbro runs things that could explain why the distribution for later waves of many sets is so bad.

According to her, each set got its own unique product number.  However, each wave within that set did not.  When she ordered from Hasbro directly as a retailer, she could choose, say as an example the Butterfly Island "Sunny Scents" ponies, but she couldn't specify which wave of them.  Sometimes she got lucky, and got what she wanted.  Sometimes Hasbro sent her old stock instead, and she was stuck with it.  Hasbro has a fairly large minimum order for small retailers($5000), and you can't send anything back, so every time she ordered it was a risk.

Again, I have no idea if they still do this, or if the rules are even the same for the big retailers.  It's entirely possible that when you're ordering $300,000 worth of one set for national distribution that Hasbro lets them do whatever they want.  It's also possible that Hasbro changed its policies and distribution system in the last 10 years.  However, it could explain the wide distribution of the first waves of any given line, and then the shrinking distribution of all waves that come after.

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 06:47:32 AM »
There's a shelf tag for the baby hippogriffs at my local Meijer, but I've only seen it stocked with baby sea ponies. It makes me think that they were at least expecting to carry them, but their MLP section is still choked with old stock like the hairbow assortment so... :huh:

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 09:36:07 AM »
In my part of America it's hard to even find the baby merponies, let alone the baby hippogriffs! I have only ever seen the baby merponies at Target and that was only once so I'm not very optimistic about the baby hippogriffs coming here soon :(
At my local Walmart, the shelves are mostly lined with these (also forgive me for not knowing the proper names of the sets):
That really big Princess Celestia that I think lights up or something like that
A bunch of the ponies with the fabric merpony tails
A whole bin filled with the all-about ponies and blind bags
A couple of the sets that include Twilight and Songbird, Pinkie and hippogriff Skystar, and Rarity and that cat dude
A couple of the pearly sea ponies, wave 2
A weird Rainbow Dash head hair styling thingy
A bunch of the seaquestria playsets

The section for ponies has gotten much smaller over the years so there's not much room for new products :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 09:45:31 AM »
There's a shelf tag for the baby hippogriffs at my local Meijer, but I've only seen it stocked with baby sea ponies. It makes me think that they were at least expecting to carry them, but their MLP section is still choked with old stock like the hairbow assortment so... :huh:

We had those tags here in the UK too - but apparently the official name for the set includes hippogriff even for the baby sea ponies, so it might just be referring to them. Wave 3 is a bit confusing as it seems to include both some wave 2 baby sea ponies and the 2 hippogriffs...

I will pick them up if they ever appear here, such as around Christmas - but if they don't, I'll just live with it and move on :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 01:46:13 PM »
I bought mine from Amazon from a private seller.  I haven't seen even a tiny hint of the things being released in the USA at any major retailer.  I'm betting they would have shown up at TRU if it hadn't gone bankrupt.  The most likely place for them to show up now are discount stores(Dollar Tree, Big Lots, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc).  That's the usual dumping ground for anything that Hasbro's horrid distribution does this to.  If they end up there, I'd expect them in the next 6 months or so, maybe up to a year.

I don't know if this is still the case, but I knew someone who tried to create a small online store for the G3s back in the day.  She told me some very interesting information about how Hasbro runs things that could explain why the distribution for later waves of many sets is so bad.

According to her, each set got its own unique product number.  However, each wave within that set did not.  When she ordered from Hasbro directly as a retailer, she could choose, say as an example the Butterfly Island "Sunny Scents" ponies, but she couldn't specify which wave of them.  Sometimes she got lucky, and got what she wanted.  Sometimes Hasbro sent her old stock instead, and she was stuck with it.  Hasbro has a fairly large minimum order for small retailers($5000), and you can't send anything back, so every time she ordered it was a risk.

Again, I have no idea if they still do this, or if the rules are even the same for the big retailers.  It's entirely possible that when you're ordering $300,000 worth of one set for national distribution that Hasbro lets them do whatever they want.  It's also possible that Hasbro changed its policies and distribution system in the last 10 years.  However, it could explain the wide distribution of the first waves of any given line, and then the shrinking distribution of all waves that come after.

I know all about Hasbro's distribution practices, which seem to be the industry standard for anything that comes in waves (I wasn't able to find the second wave of the last series of Shopkins thanks to TRU vanishing). I was just hoping maybe they popped up somewhere else. The Holly Dash wave only appeared in the US at a chain that only exists in Texas but meanwhile I find plenty of the 3rd wave of pearlies at Family Dollar and Dollar General after people were finding them months earlier near them.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:48:14 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal