collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lauren Faust redesigned DC Superhero Girls  (Read 4694 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Lauren Faust redesigned DC Superhero Girls
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:23:44 PM »
https://www.newsarama.com/40038-dc-super-hero-girls-gets-its-own-tv-show.html

I like them but these look very "made for TV" not "made for the dollhouse". While Mattel has created new Barbie bodies I doubt they will make a new body for each DCSHG.
Maybe we'll be seeing action figures?
What do you think?
Personally, I never cared for the old designs that much. I just liked the new body Mattel created for the dolls. I hated their bland samefacedness and uninspired fashions. The new ones have better costumes and are more dynamic for animation but they don't seem very... dolletic.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Lauren Faust redesigned DC Superhero Girls
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:46:18 PM »
Blegh. :yucky:

Why must that woman strike everything with the Ugly Stick? I don't like her style. Never have, never will. I just don't see what's so attractive about hyper-deformed.

As for the toys, they have seriously annoying factory issues which put me off buying anymore. Like deformed feet that turn in and barely allows them to stand except on flat surfaces, super tight joints that made me afraid that I would break them and mismatched plastic.

The DC Girl Toddlers are thus far the best of the bunch in looks and qc. I bought Harley and Bat Girl as gifts. Very nice hair, accessories/clothes and simple joint movement that didn't feel like it was gonna snap off if I tried to move them.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:53:13 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 01:46:51 PM »
Well to me it's just right that they have different shapes and bodies! That's actually REALLY GOOD. If they could have make this with the Equestria Girlz, I would have loved it. Don't like clones.
After, I'm not fan on the designs itselfs.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »
I might add that I think the previous cartoon designs looked like badly traced clones of Disney's Belle with different hair colors and slightly different skin tones :lol:

Offline moonsget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Moonsget's Meadow
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 01:56:33 PM »
I like "pretty" (before) more than "cartoony" (how I see them now), but I can see where you're coming from on the clone issue. Otherwise, not feeling strong feelings either way -- save for that Supergirl looks like Power Girl, not Supergirl, LOL!
~Moonsget/Wolfie
... is a Tart and a deviant ...

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 02:12:18 PM »
Supergirl looks like Power Girl, not Supergirl, LOL!

Supes, Wondy and Batgirl were lifted from Faust's previous DC collab, Super Best Friends Forever, and given small makeovers. Supergirl is the one looking the most like her SBFF counterpart.
I do like how she has the muscular upper body like Superman. I just fear, since Faust is also producing, that they will turn her into the show's Rainbow Dash. LF seems to think that athletic girls should all be rude but loyal. Her own creation Milky Way and the Galaxy Girls also had a rude but loyal tomboy character. She reuses the Pinkie Pie trope a lot as well. Her SBFF Batgirl was Pinkie Pie in a human body :P

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 03:44:52 PM »
I think they look great.  I don't follow Faust, so I don't know about her other DC designs.  But it looks like it will be a fun cartoon.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 07:08:15 PM »
I think they look great.  I don't follow Faust, so I don't know about her other DC designs.  But it looks like it will be a fun cartoon.

Lauren Faust is the person who came up with the current generation of MLP.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 04:40:51 PM »
Eh, it's okay. It jut seems a bit over cartoony for my tastes. That's not to say I don't like it, but I'm not a fan of it either. It looks like a flash show, if that makes sense. It's definitely different in style than msot other cartoons at the moment, so points for that.
I'm not a fan of Supergirl's hair, the new logo, or how big certain features are (the eyes, Wonder woman's earings). Also sorry if I don't get all the names right. I don't really watch the online series and have only bought Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, and Starfire. I like the girl with the purple hair though, she'd make a pretty doll granted they keep the old doll's look.
I hope they keep the old doll's design. It's the last things we have left that are like in the Monster High and Ever After High realm in my opinion. I hope they don't scrap the dolls and make action figures instead. Nothing against action figures, but I prefer dolls.  >_<
I also never had issues with the articulation, so maybe that's on certain dolls only? I like the size of the dolls however, and how much weight they have to them. I don't like the designs in the cartoon though, and some of the doll's designs I don't like either (like I wish Starfire had an outfit more similar to her Teen Titans outfit for example. I don't know, she can just really rock the skirt and top look, especially if they gave her her curly hair back).
Okay I'm going on a tangent.
If there is one thing I wish, I hope they change Harley Quinn's voice actress. I think it's Tara Strong, and I love her work, but she is not a good Harley Quinn. To me, she sounds way too similar to Timmy Turner. I wish Harley could have her old VA from BTAS  :wonder: Knowing Lauren, Tara will most likely stay Harley's VA though...

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 02:22:11 AM »
They look pretty good in terms of animated character design, but again, probably won't translate all too well into toys given the proportions and such, there's a fine line when it comes to designing 'toyetic' characters.
Also interesting how Lauren seems to reuse many of the same character archetypes throughout the various properties she's worked on - or at least that's what these designs suggest.
I love Zantanna's sparkly purple hair but she's pretty much unrecognisable as Zantanna - I thought she was a new character when I first saw her, until I read further into the article. Between her purple hair, hairstyle and 'magic' theme she seems like a human Twilight Sparkle  ^.^
I'd previously done redesigns for the DC Superhero Girls characters, trying to take all this into account (https://crystal-sushi.deviantart.com/art/DC-Superhero-Girls-Redesigns-Unfinished-731916371) but I've gotta say I'll always admire Lauren's art style :heart:
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 03:45:46 AM »
I agree so much on Zatanna. It's cool that she's there but I didn't recognize her. Maybe it's the pose that obscures her outfit and she'll look better in motion.
The hair gimmick is ok to me. The character is usually black and white sexy magician assistant, not very appealing to little girls. So they had to bring a pop of color into it. But I agree, it's very TS in color and style.

I too love Lauren's art style but she is so big on reusing characteristics and archetypes, it gets boring after a while.
Thinking about it, Harley Quinn will probably fill the Pinkie Pie role this time and she won't be able to make Batgirl this way.

It would be so cool if the new series would introduce Batwoman and spend more time developping characters. I still see no reason why in this world some heroes are adults and others are kids. Could use a bit more world building. Small things like why was Harley at a school for superheroes when she is just a crazed little girl.
Batgirl was introduced as the normal human techie but Harley was just... there. Because her likeness sells.

Adding Green Lantern and Zatanna makes a lot more sense. Ivy and Harley are grey villains and Katana is not a superhero if they can't explain what her sword does (which is not exactly child friendly).

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 04:47:54 PM »
They look pretty good in terms of animated character design, but again, probably won't translate all too well into toys given the proportions and such, there's a fine line when it comes to designing 'toyetic' characters.
Also interesting how Lauren seems to reuse many of the same character archetypes throughout the various properties she's worked on - or at least that's what these designs suggest.
I love Zantanna's sparkly purple hair but she's pretty much unrecognisable as Zantanna - I thought she was a new character when I first saw her, until I read further into the article. Between her purple hair, hairstyle and 'magic' theme she seems like a human Twilight Sparkle  ^.^
I'd previously done redesigns for the DC Superhero Girls characters, trying to take all this into account (https://crystal-sushi.deviantart.com/art/DC-Superhero-Girls-Redesigns-Unfinished-731916371) but I've gotta say I'll always admire Lauren's art style :heart:
i didn't recognize Zatanna at all, I was about to ask who the Human Twilight Sparkle was
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 11:54:52 AM »
I'm not a fan of these kinds of designs. I hope the target audience like them though as that's all that really matters.

Also not much of a fan of Lauren Faust...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 02:29:01 AM »
I don’t like them at all. I don’t care for the sharp lines. I feel like they’re trying to force the line to be “edgy”.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 08:39:30 AM »
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/20/dc-super-hero-girls-sdcc-2018/

New character art, character sheets and antagonist team revealed! Harley is Batgirl's ex-best friend now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal