collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Wanted to share with you: My mare story!  (Read 3218 times)

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Wanted to share with you: My mare story!
« on: May 24, 2018, 12:04:06 PM »
Hi!
I've been hesitating for a while to do this post, but today I feel like I should!
It's the story of a girl (me) who's dream always had to have a pony. Who asked every time she could for a pony to her parents, and got a lot of them... yeah like "My Little Ponies", "Grand Champions Horses", "Barbie Horses" and so much more.. but never well yah know the real pony.
Nor the real pony riding lessons.

I remember that I talked with every horses owner I met near pastures or during a walk and then when I was 10, a girl said to me "I had to wait 'till my 23th birthday you know?" and me to reply "I will have it so much before".
Because I was sure I will persuade my parents one day or another. Silly me.
The only things I was sure is that I wanted the horse color to be appaloosa (because I'm obessed with dots and spots)

So when I grow old to 23 (yes yes), I decided to go on riding lessons.
And then...
This happened:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I met... "the" special horse. I did know, the minute I saw her head up out of the stall... we were far, and it was just a white face and... oh I pray this horse was an appaloosa because I already felt my heart bouncing...
In fact, the horse was appaloosa coated and was a mare also.
In fact it's an appaloosa crossed with a sport horse, that's why she looks that sporty (but remains a heavy build). It's really an impressive model!

I did beg' the professor to have it for the lesson, but the answer was no.
But I only had eyes for her, for real...
So lessons after lessons, I asked more about my heart crush, and the answer goes until I understand she was for sale. Oh, you can't imagine, I dreamed of a horse my whole life, and for weeks I was obsessed by this mare in particular and then, I totally decided she has to be mine.

On march 2013, I get an appointment to try her, but not on her back, only on foot. My professor insist "she was not at my level". But don't mind, even if I never rode her, my decision was taken.

And if everyone wonder why, because she was NOT a flashy appaloosa with lots of spots like I usually love and also, she was looking terrible (in fact ugly for most of the people)...
I have seen that:

The MOST cute looking ever :biggrin:
So after I decided to buy, I did my research and found a lot of things like...

The horse didn't looked very safe... :shocked:
(that's not me on this picture).

But don't mind, I didn't even was scared. Even if I should...
And I officially became this horse owner!
And it didn't turn well.
Oh yes, I know, it was evidence. I was a debutant and it was a young (4yrs) mare with a lot of temperament.

Right after I bough her, we goes on another much better looking stabble and it was a nightmare. My horse was kept in dark, without the permission to paddock. And she became to be out of control, so I finally had to go back on my usual riding stabble and start a long basics work...
First on foot, and then, finally on saddle!

And you know, every girl that dream of their horse imagined it perfect.
It was not. Not at all.
A mulish horse with heart, but a mulish one, as I said she was 1/3 camel, 1/3 mule and 1/3 appaloosa.
Or maybe it was not a mulish horse, but just a young horse with a debutant ridder? Or maybe it was part of the two.
I did reconsider my caprice.
But it did never, god never regret. Because I had MY horse and it was my duty to raise it, found the buttons, make it work. Not just give up.
And believe me, it was hard.

Until, the worst shame happened, the mare started to loss weigh, more and more and nothin' worked to have it back to normal.

I lost hope. But eventually we found the problem: bad back conformation, who causes her too much pain, so she prefered to starve than "support" the weigh on it. Also, it explained how harsh we was under saddle, didn't it? And didn't know it or saw it, even if there is spots on.

But I didn't part with the horse, even when I was said I might never be able to ride it again as beeing a horse owner, it's not only "riding" problems it's also "full horse" problems from legs to head. My mistake, but you know, since I know how to deal with, she never had to suffer that bad again :biggrin:

And then, I move on.
I really move on.
In life, something moving house happend, and this time it was for another country.
Still, I was not decided to let my horse behind.
Movings are expensive. And stressfull. But I was not ready to let her go. It was MY horse, the one I had a crush on, the one I conquest hardly, the one I love.

So she did go with me!

The "new life" offered us a second start in a way, still the same routine...
Woking on foot...

Working free...

Aaand working on saddle! Because, in the end I got green lights to go up again :biggrin:

But if I am still a terrible ridder and she still have... her terrible temperament :pout:

We now have spent a lot of years together, we improved a lot recently, did a lot of things...
She specially loves to gallop on the fields...

And jump!

So as she really dislike water and muds, jumping is always her option to not put foot into >_<

I did work a lot for this shot

As a conclusion, I would say that here's the horse I bough...

And the one I got today!

And how she looked under saddle...

Now (I'm still a bad rider, please don't mind, specially my hands urghhh)

And I finish on how she's cute!!

What do you thinks?
I've got a few of stories of our biggest wins and fail, would you like to hear them? Also got tons of pictures of her beeing a horse in the fields (she's not living in a box and she never will).
And I will also try to update with some improvement in our stories!!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:08:43 PM by ColdRuru »

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Littlesparklepony

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted to share with you: My mare story!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 01:19:51 PM »
I´m happy that you finally got your friend. She looks wonderful.

The only memory I have from horseriding is from a stubborn pony when I was a teenager. She Always walked sideways.  :)

Offline emily_katie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 02:56:25 PM »
I don't know the first thing about horse riding or horses really but I think she Is beautiful  :lovey:
The scenery around where you ride her is equally as stunning, whats her name?

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                                       Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 03:02:41 PM »
I think its a wonderful story and the fact that you two worked through a lot of her health related behaviour problems makes you stronger for it. After all a horse, like any other furry friend we bring into our hearts, is not going to be a perfect relationship anyway.

For the record, I think she's cute.  What's her name?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 03:55:49 PM »
Aww, she is a cutie. Sounds like you have definitely come along way with her. It's really special when you have that connection with a specific animal.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline ColdRuru

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 04:00:35 PM »
Thanks you all, it was sure a whole adventure itself!

The only memory I have from horseriding is from a stubborn pony when I was a teenager. She Always walked sideways.  :)

Ponies aren't reputed for their good behavior, to be honest :biggrin:

I don't know the first thing about horse riding or horses really but I think she Is beautiful  :lovey:
The scenery around where you ride her is equally as stunning, whats her name?

Well, it's simple as: with a horse you need to do the things well, or it can cost you a lot.
My mare is a mare, they are reputed to be difficults creatures. Mine does not do exception, she's got their days.
I'm living in a very beautiful area in the mountains for sure :lol:
Her name is Amira.

I think its a wonderful story and the fact that you two worked through a lot of her health related behaviour problems makes you stronger for it. After all a horse, like any other furry friend we bring into our hearts, is not going to be a perfect relationship anyway.

For the record, I think she's cute.  What's her name?

Yes, they are sensitive creatures (as all animals) with their own character and you need to deal with, just as with an human beeing. People who thinks that animals does not have feelings or intelligence, have never experienced one.

Her name is Amira. I didn't choose, it's what's written on her papers.
For the story, when I bought it, she was called "Sacrifice" by the seller. I was thinkin' it was too harsh and searched "Sacrifice" on my playlist then found "Sweet Sacrifice" by Evanescence. So I renammed her Sweetie. Then I got the papers, so her former name is Amira and it's the one everyone calls her, but her secret nickname is Sweetie.
In a way her full name will be "Sweet Sacrifice Amira" :dizzy:

If I had to choose myself, I would have called a mare Zelda :blush:

Aww, she is a cutie. Sounds like you have definitely come along way with her. It's really special when you have that connection with a specific animal.

Yes it is. And it feels good.
Even if she's not expressive and definely not the most demonstrative. She likes cuddles, but not that much either.

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 04:08:11 PM »
I love this story so much! I've had stubborn animals too and never give up on them, though nothing as big as a horse :lol:

She's beautiful, lots of personality.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 05:46:28 PM »
i think my favorite memory of horse back riding is accidentally being assigned a horse meant for a more advanced rider than I was at the time. and was told I handled him beautifully since no one else was willing to swap out their horse for the 'plain jane brown' horse.  His name was Sully which was short for something I can't remember XD.

another time at the same summer camp I ended up riding on a reallllly stubborn welsh pony.
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 05:57:18 PM »
She's beautiful!  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:01:32 AM by BubbleTea »
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline SundanceSadie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 06:11:24 PM »
Congratulations! Isn’t it just so rewarding to finally see the end results of all your hard work  :biggrin:
I have had horses my whole life and I can tell by the difference in her body condition alone, that you have put lots of care and love into your mare. My most recent mare is a Quarter Horse I’ve had for about 14 years now whose name is Sweetie too! She’s turning 27 soon but is still the boss of all our other horses. She’s just being a mare  ;)

I believe that sometimes the most difficult horses have the most to teach us about ourselves and can greatly improve our hormanship if we’re willing to learn  :lovey:

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 02:40:30 AM »
Lol - she certainly has attitude! I loved reading your story, and the way you accompanied it with the pictures - I smiled a lot! Thanks for sharing :)

Offline ColdRuru

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 04:33:28 AM »
I love this story so much! I've had stubborn animals too and never give up on them, though nothing as big as a horse :lol:

She's beautiful, lots of personality.

Yes, stubborn horse really IS somethin' to deal with.

i think my favorite memory of horse back riding is accidentally being assigned a horse meant for a more advanced rider than I was at the time. and was told I handled him beautifully since no one else was willing to swap out their horse for the 'plain jane brown' horse.  His name was Sully which was short for something I can't remember XD.

another time at the same summer camp I ended up riding on a reallllly stubborn welsh pony.

Well was it a horse meant for a more advanced ridder because a difficult/hard to keep one or a more educated one to do best level dressage with? It certainly does have changed your feelings on saddle :biggrin:
And ponies doesn't count. Ponies are beeing ponies :lol: :lol: :lol:

She's beautiful!  :biggrin:

Thanks for her!

Congratulations! Isn’t it just so rewarding to finally see the end results of all your hard work  :biggrin:
I have had horses my whole life and I can tell by the difference in her body condition alone, that you have put lots of care and love into your mare. My most recent mare is a Quarter Horse I’ve had for about 14 years now whose name is Sweetie too! She’s turning 27 soon but is still the boss of all our other horses. She’s just being a mare  ;)

I believe that sometimes the most difficult horses have the most to teach us about ourselves and can greatly improve our hormanship if we’re willing to learn  :lovey:

Yes she improved her condition a lot. I really try my best to have it working in a correct way, but it isn't easy.
Having her low, deep and round really IS difficult. Mostly because she does not engage her hindquarters naturally easily, also she's easily overbent too. Hard to have it just right.
But saddly my low hands and lack of legs didn't help :blush:

Thanks you, congratz on your own Sweetie :biggrin:

Lol - she certainly has attitude! I loved reading your story, and the way you accompanied it with the pictures - I smiled a lot! Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks. Aaand yes she's a drama queen her way :)

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 04:49:05 AM »
What a wonderful story. 

There's an old saying that horses choose us not the other way round. Once those special ones get in our hearts then they stay there - and it's SO worth it.

PS I'm glad I read your story today as it was this day 2 years ago that I brought home my young Fell pony. I had lost a very special horse tragically young just before I found him - and over the past two years he has charmed his way into our lives. He's very special.

Post Merge: May 25, 2018, 08:38:16 AM

Here is my real-life Mountain Boy, pictured those 2 years ago - straight off the lorry as a 3 year old.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:38:16 AM by PoserBeachball »

Offline ColdRuru

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »
For a 3yr he's already well bulked! Glad my post have made a little shine in our heart, and hope you own boy brings as much joy as you expected after your loss :biggrin:

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »
What a wonderful story. 

There's an old saying that horses choose us not the other way round. Once those special ones get in our hearts then they stay there - and it's SO worth it.

PS I'm glad I read your story today as it was this day 2 years ago that I brought home my young Fell pony. I had lost a very special horse tragically young just before I found him - and over the past two years he has charmed his way into our lives. He's very special.

Post Merge: May 25, 2018, 08:38:16 AM

Here is my real-life Mountain Boy, pictured those 2 years ago - straight off the lorry as a 3 year old.

I'm sorry about your other horse. :hug:

Your Fell Pony is just beautiful.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal