collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What’s your day job?  (Read 12011 times)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
Re: What’s your day job?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 11:46:04 AM »
How come teaching jobs in Aus aren’t secure? Surely everyone needs teachers?

When I was growing up, school teachers worked largely in permanent positions.  They tended to keep those jobs until they either retired or expired.  So it was great for those teachers on a permanent full-time contract, they had incredible job security. 

However, these days the vast majority of teachers are forced into casual roles (at least in my state, honestly am less certain about the rest of the country).  If they are lucky they can pick up "blocks" of work which may last a few weeks at a time, or hit the jackpot and take over a position replacing a teacher on maternity/paternity leave.  For every other teacher, they're often stuck in a cycle of picking up a few stray casual days at different schools, and the whole time they're still job hunting for the rest of the week trying to secure work anywhere they can.  They have practically no job security, and have enormous amounts of stress trying to get enough casual shifts to make ends meet, and that's without taking into consideration the amount of stress which comes from teaching in the first place. 

Some teachers are so talented and passionate educators, but it is heartbreaking that they're left struggling to survive and overwhelmed with stress.  There is a really high burnout rate in recently graduated teachers, many leave after the first 2 years because it is just unsustainable.  Very few of the people I met through my teaching degree are still working as teachers now, they've had to reboot their career goals.  It's really sad. 

Yeah that’s the same in the UK, a lot of graduate teachers only last a few years and then give it up - it’s very stressful. I’m in quite a difficult school, but I love my subject, love the kids and although I don’t necessarily agree with everything that happens in the school in terms of workload and accountability I really enjoy my job and manage to filter out most of the BS.

I lot of Art teachers struggle to get jobs - I’m in a full time permanent contract so I’m pretty lucky. I’ve had some interviews for Head of Department job too recently although theyre rare as hens teeth because like you said, there’s not much movement unless someone retires or dies!!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 05:42:01 AM »
By day I'm an assistant secretary, coordinating part of the busing for a moderately sized school district/misc facilities related items. Makes the day interesting doing things that really aren't related constantly. Some evenings I provide in home respite care for special needs adults.  Down to 3 employers now; used to have 5 a few years back. Got tired of working 60+ hour weeks.

I've been in the school system now for a decade in various capacities; just not teaching or administrative stuff...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2018, 08:54:17 AM »
I think we call that a warehouse in English!! But good translation, I got what you meant  :lol:

What would be your dream job if you had to give up folding boxes?

I see! I couldn't find a proper translation, so I just went to the Dutch wikipedia page about the subject, and clicked on the English page from there. XD

I'm not even sure to be honest. When I was little I always wanted to do something with trains, but that is way out of my league. :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2018, 12:02:24 PM »
I'm a housekeeper... sorry Environmental Worker-gag me- at a Nursing Home/Rehabilitation Center.
really thankless job but its one of the best paying jobs in this dumb town with benefits.
really bad side of it is I have no life so i literally go home, go work go home go work and it just... drags.
if I can find the energy and care I tend to draw but no one likes my work enough to buy it so I have given up on commissions
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 12:19:13 AM »
Quote from: kestral_kitsune link=topic=391670.msg1717598#msg1717598date=1527274944
I'm a housekeeper... sorry Environmental Worker-gag me- at a Nursing Home/Rehabilitation Center. I
really thankless job but its one of the best
I'm a housekeeper... sorry Environmental Worker-gag me- at a Nursing Home/Rehabilitation Center.
really thankless job but its one of the best paying jobs in this dumb town with benefits.
really bad side of it is I have no life so i literally go home, go work go home go work and it just... drags.
if I can find the energy and care I tend to draw but no one likes my work enough to buy it so I have given up on commissions
paying jobs in this dumb town with benefits.

Keep at it! You have a really lovely art style - sometimes you jist have to keep working and drawing to find your ‘niche’ in the art world and to work out that people want! Something I’m still trying to do too :)

Offline beajjai033

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • "It will all be worth it in the end."
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2018, 06:37:20 AM »

So am I, 80+ hours/week at most :work:. I only worked for almost 4 years but it feels like 10  :lol:
I am an auditor.

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2018, 06:53:56 AM »
I've been a graphic designer for 5 years and counting now.  Some days I absolutely love it, other days I want to pull my hair out, but that's more to do with my work environment than the job itself, haha.  Let's just say there are some administrative issues.  I'll never leave though - in the area I live, it pays so well compared to other jobs, and my husband also works at the same company, so we can share one car :)

Before that I was a proofreader for 5 years at the same company, same department.  Also a decent gig if a bit boring at times. 

Before that I worked as an assistant to a K-12 school art teacher for a year.  It was a lot of fun with the smaller children but I didn't like the Junior High or High School kids at all.  (I was only 22 at the time, right out of college, and I'm painfully shy so dealing with / trying to help discipline kids who were almost as old as me was NOT fun.)

And before that I worked for about 6 years part-time in a grocery store through high school and college (bagger->cashier->courtesy desk assistant->night manager LOL). At the same time  I also worked as a periodicals assistant and re-shelver in the college library for the four years I was there.

Offline starstrider

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2018, 08:32:42 AM »
The really bad side of it is I have no life so i literally go home, go work go home go work and it just... drags.

Can so relate.  When I'm not at home I'm at work, and when I'm not at work I'm at home.  I love nursing most of the time, but I'm so beyond exhausted by the end of a shift that I rarely go out.  By the end of a 5-6 day run I'm comatose.  Have started to question why I even have regular day clothes - I only ever wear scrubs or pyjamas! :P

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2018, 10:08:59 AM »
Full time student (PhD third year, funded).

Also occasional proof reader. And this year, Graduate Teaching Assistant in the department of History.

PhD means no official holidays but some perks of travel. Since I began I've been to Lisbon, Paris (Ok, so I don't really like Paris, sorry Parisiens), Jerusalem and various parts of Japan on academic errands, and have been largely funded to take those trips, so can't complain about that...I've given conference presentations at some of these as well. I've also invigilated for the exams at the school.

Beyond this I want to stay in academia but it's a difficult market.

Before I did my PhD I worked as a learning support assistant at a FE college in the UK, supporting mostly invisible disability but also some other disability ie Muscular Dystrophy students. I worked in the mainstream department which basically means kids taking qualifications towards jobs rather than kids learning lifeskills to live independently, but I did some work in the foundation department too (ie in gardening, and also in the art class).

Before my MA I worked in a library, but not a lending library. It was an information library, but it closed because of govt cuts.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2018, 10:25:33 AM »
I've been a graphic designer for 5 years and counting now.  Some days I absolutely love it, other days I want to pull my hair out, but that's more to do with my work environment than the job itself, haha.  Let's just say there are some administrative issues.  I'll never leave though - in the area I live, it pays so well compared to other jobs, and my husband also works at the same company, so we can share one car :)

Before that I was a proofreader for 5 years at the same company, same department.  Also a decent gig if a bit boring at times. 

Before that I worked as an assistant to a K-12 school art teacher for a year.  It was a lot of fun with the smaller children but I didn't like the Junior High or High School kids at all.  (I was only 22 at the time, right out of college, and I'm painfully shy so dealing with / trying to help discipline kids who were almost as old as me was NOT fun.)

And before that I worked for about 6 years part-time in a grocery store through high school and college (bagger->cashier->courtesy desk assistant->night manager LOL). At the same time  I also worked as a periodicals assistant and re-shelver in the college library for the four years I was there.

I empathise with the high school kid thing! When I first started everyone thought I was a student. I’m not shy though and the kids that I teach are really respectful if you respect them. I love teaching  the older kids, no way could I do primary school or nursery - they’re just too much! Plus...snot and germs  :X

Offline cookifaa

• Ouchy Roids Pony
  • My real pony is jealous of my vinyl ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2018, 05:19:21 PM »
I'm actually still in school! Only 3 more weeks left though! :lol:

When I'm avoiding my GCSE studying, I actually work at my local riding school as one of the yard workers! I do all the yucky jobs like mucking out, grooming, cleaning tack etc. I don't mind it though because I get free rides once a week! I can't ride my pony until summer (someone tell me why I bought a baby >_< ) so getting the one hour ride once a week is amazing. I ride this big Belgian Draft called Hercules (I think you can guess what he's like by his name). The only downside is, the instructor is my mum, and because I'm her child she likes to take my stirrups, and then my saddle and eventually the bridle so I'm left with just Herc's none exsistant mane to hold onto :|

In September I'm starting my A-Levels providing I get the grades I need...

Oh and in September I'm taking on a volunteer job at an equine therapy centre to help kids like me who have anxiety, depression and other mental health issues! I'm actually a student there at the moment but they can only work with kids up until they leave secondary school, so they hatched a plan that if they take me on as a volunteer, I'll work there while they continue with my therapy sessions!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:22:53 PM by cookifaa »

Online Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2018, 04:19:18 AM »
I am what people call a job hopper, every other year I have to look for another job because for budget reasons I can not be offered a permanent contract. Which makes me wide ranged on supporting positions.
The past 2 years I have been supporting different Human Resources locations from a college chain with their transfer from one computersystem to another. So archiving backlogs, sending mail at first but people saw I can do more so they let me work in the new system. Which meant I was also to help out when a sick colleague was out for a while, guiding new people into the system, help out teachers how to fill in their travel costs. But at one point there is no backlog anymore and no budget or position for me too. So now looking for something else.

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2018, 02:54:15 PM »
The really bad side of it is I have no life so i literally go home, go work go home go work and it just... drags.

Can so relate.  When I'm not at home I'm at work, and when I'm not at work I'm at home.  I love nursing most of the time, but I'm so beyond exhausted by the end of a shift that I rarely go out.  By the end of a 5-6 day run I'm comatose.  Have started to question why I even have regular day clothes - I only ever wear scrubs or pyjamas! :P

oh i know the feeling of not really having nice clothes, my 'nice' clothes are my work scrubs XD Nurses do soooo much too. there are a couple in my work place that I am all 'why bother hiring these guys if they don't wanna work' but we have some really good ones working
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2018, 04:58:37 AM »
I can vouch for the non-permanent teaching position in Australia.  My brother did eight years of just substitute teaching before he landed a MOSTLY permanent position this year.  When he was lucky he would get a whole 3 month term contract; when he wasn't he would go weeks without a single day of work.  To his credit, being a male teacher with a high tolerance for teenagers being jerks, a lot of his placements were at the high schools notorious for rough, dodgy students, simply because he was one of only a handful of teachers who hadn't refused to work there.  Now he is doing very long days and coming home stressed just to do some more work before tomorrow's lesson.  If he hadn't been offered a position this year, he probably would have chucked it in entirely.

As for me, I was selected by the universe to have chronic pain and so I'm no longer able to work.  The strangest was a temp job doing Santa photography in a mall.  The psychically hardest was a pet sitter, doing 7 - 20 houses a day.  I couldn't work more than 4 days in a row it was so exhausting.  This was before GPS was affordable so every night I would have to get out the street directory and write out my route and directions.  I had a lot of weird and funny experiences doing it and met some really lovely pets but it was so much harder than I imagined it would be.
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2018, 02:21:24 AM »
My job isn't very exciting but essentially do data entry with mortgage documents. It sounds incredibly boring, which isn't wrong, but gosh is it high paced and stressful! I keep getting trained on new tasks because I excel at them all so I'm at the point of doing very important time sensitive work that requires a ton of concentration and energy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal