collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What’s your day job?  (Read 12009 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What’s your day job?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 10:19:34 AM »
I work in a library.  When I'm not at the check-out desk I reproduce artwork for DVDs and CDs that have been damaged.  I also shelve when necessary and do a plethora of other odd jobs that need to be completed.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 02:02:19 PM »
I do production work in a sheltered workshop (I had to look it up in English, I hope I got the right translation). Which basically means that I am folding boxes from 08:00 to 16:30. It's my dream job, really. >_<
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 03:08:42 PM »
I'm a travel agent!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 03:08:52 PM »
I do production work in a sheltered workshop (I had to look it up in English, I hope I got the right translation). Which basically means that I am folding boxes from 08:00 to 16:30. It's my dream job, really. >_<

I think we call that a warehouse in English!! But good translation, I got what you meant  :lol:

What would be your dream job if you had to give up folding boxes?

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 05:52:46 AM »
I am administrative support for a cluster of health programs for a college. So lots of paperwork, emails, all of the behind-the-scenes things that make the program run.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 09:36:50 AM »
I'm a Registered Nurse working full-time in a busy general medical ward in a small city hospital.  We get a little bit of everything to keep things interesting  ;)  I do love nursing, but it is exhausting.  There are days when I want to burst into tears, and other days where I go home deeply satisfied from knowing I've made a real difference.  Much as I love nursing though, I feel like I'm ready to retire already.  It's so physically, mentally, and emotionally demanding that I can't imagine bedside nursing on a ward for another 30 years  :( 

My first and longest lasting job was as a checkout operator on the registers of a major supermarket.  So glamorous!  :P  15 years I lasted there, and to this day I still don't know how!  It wasn't exciting but thankfully the rosters were flexible and it allowed me to work part time from 14.9 years of age until I finished my postgraduate degree.  Throughout that 15 year period I worked a variety of other jobs to supplement my income; 2IC of a childcare centre, histological pathology lab technician, nannying, para-professional interpreter, School Learning Support Officer in a large urban high school.  I actually started out studying education with the goal of being a primary school teacher, but I got half-way into the degree before I realised there's no job security in Australian schools anymore.  I'm glad I switched degrees in the end, I'd so thankful that nurses tend not to have to take home lots of paperwork (but we fill in plenty on the job :P )
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:55:43 AM by starstrider »

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 01:04:31 PM »
I'm a Registered Nurse working full-time in a busy general medical ward in a small city hospital.  We get a little bit of everything to keep things interesting  ;)  I do love nursing, but it is exhausting.  There are days when I want to burst into tears, and other days where I go home deeply satisfied from knowing I've made a real difference.  Much as I love nursing though, I feel like I'm ready to retire already.  It's so physically, mentally, and emotionally demanding that I can't imagine bedside nursing on a ward for another 30 years  :( 

My first and longest lasting job was as a checkout operator on the registers of a major supermarket.  15 years I lasted there, and to this day I still don't know how!  It wasn't exciting but thankfully the rosters were flexible and it allowed me to work part time from 14.9 years of age until I finished my postgraduate degree.  Throughout that 15 year period I worked a variety of other jobs to supplement my income; 2IC of a childcare centre, histological pathology lab technician, para-professional interpreter, School Learning Support Officer in a large urban high school.  I actually started out studying education with the goal of being a primary school teacher, but I got half-way into the degree before I realised there's no job security in Australian schools anymore.  I'm glad I switched degrees in the end, I'd so thankful that nurses tend not to have to take home lots of paperwork (but we fill in plenty on the job :P )

Wow Starstrider you’ve done so many different jobs! I kind of know what you mean about not being able to see yourself doing it in 30 years - I love my job but I can’t imagine having the energy to do it at 60! Nursing must be so emotionally draining.

How come teaching jobs in Aus aren’t secure? Surely everyone needs teachers?

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 02:23:48 PM »
Aw ColdRuru I hope you find yourself in a happier place soon. Being an artist full time and making enough money is sooo hard - all my artist friends have part time jobs doing other stuff to supplement their income too. We have two Art technicians at my work who are fantastic and very successful artists but they still work in my school part of the week so they have a steady wage. That’s part of the reason why I went into teaching. Have you ever thought about doing painting workshops for adults/children or teaching?

Well here we need a special graduate to teach here and I was not thinking of it when I left my studies, so I don't have it. Also, I would be lucky to found somethin' like that. My father used to teach art, but it was another world when he got the job.
It's so HARD to got a job today, so an interresting one... well... :blush:

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 02:54:25 PM »
Aw ColdRuru I hope you find yourself in a happier place soon. Being an artist full time and making enough money is sooo hard - all my artist friends have part time jobs doing other stuff to supplement their income too. We have two Art technicians at my work who are fantastic and very successful artists but they still work in my school part of the week so they have a steady wage. That’s part of the reason why I went into teaching. Have you ever thought about doing painting workshops for adults/children or teaching?

Well here we need a special graduate to teach here and I was not thinking of it when I left my studies, so I don't have it. Also, I would be lucky to found somethin' like that. My father used to teach art, but it was another world when he got the job.
It's so HARD to got a job today, so an interresting one... well... :blush:

Yeah it’s the same here, I had to do a teaching degree after my art degree. It’s so cool that your Dad was an art teacher - jobs are very hard to get though, if you teach maths/science it’s really easy to get a job but unfortunately at the moment the arts aren’t in demand :(

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 03:11:47 PM »
I'm wishing to do an etsy shop with my art, but it will need that I found the groove back and draw more :blush:
Thanks for your support!
I may post to explain my whole situation but I'm affraid of some things, that's why I'm always asking me if it's worth the share, but in a way it should be good for me... don't know.

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 05:57:27 PM »
I file cases to the counties for a local police department. It's not a bad gig, but it's just a foot in the door for me.    :work: :nerdy:

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 08:25:40 AM »

When I was growing up, school teachers worked largely in permanent positions.  They tended to keep those jobs until they either retired or expired.  So it was great for those teachers on a permanent full-time contract, they had incredible job security. 

However, these days the vast majority of teachers are forced into casual roles (at least in my state, honestly am less certain about the rest of the country).  If they are lucky they can pick up "blocks" of work which may last a few weeks at a time, or hit the jackpot and take over a position replacing a teacher on maternity/paternity leave.  For every other teacher, they're often stuck in a cycle of picking up a few stray casual days at different schools, and the whole time they're still job hunting for the rest of the week trying to secure work anywhere they can.  They have practically no job security, and have enormous amounts of stress trying to get enough casual shifts to make ends meet, and that's without taking into consideration the amount of stress which comes from teaching in the first place. 

Some teachers are so talented and passionate educators, but it is heartbreaking that they're left struggling to survive and overwhelmed with stress.  There is a really high burnout rate in recently graduated teachers, many leave after the first 2 years because it is just unsustainable.  Very few of the people I met through my teaching degree are still working as teachers now, they've had to reboot their career goals.  It's really sad. 

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 10:34:34 AM »
I meant to (but forgot to) include with mine above that I also have an Etsy shop on the side for my plastic canvas work (siggy banner & link). It's more of a little bit of craft income to support my hobby.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 11:07:13 AM »

When I was growing up, school teachers worked largely in permanent positions.  They tended to keep those jobs until they either retired or expired.  So it was great for those teachers on a permanent full-time contract, they had incredible job security. 

However, these days the vast majority of teachers are forced into casual roles (at least in my state, honestly am less certain about the rest of the country).  If they are lucky they can pick up "blocks" of work which may last a few weeks at a time, or hit the jackpot and take over a position replacing a teacher on maternity/paternity leave.  For every other teacher, they're often stuck in a cycle of picking up a few stray casual days at different schools, and the whole time they're still job hunting for the rest of the week trying to secure work anywhere they can.  They have practically no job security, and have enormous amounts of stress trying to get enough casual shifts to make ends meet, and that's without taking into consideration the amount of stress which comes from teaching in the first place. 

Some teachers are so talented and passionate educators, but it is heartbreaking that they're left struggling to survive and overwhelmed with stress.  There is a really high burnout rate in recently graduated teachers, many leave after the first 2 years because it is just unsustainable.  Very few of the people I met through my teaching degree are still working as teachers now, they've had to reboot their career goals.  It's really sad. 

I know my older brother who was originally a history teacher had quite a few temp jobs at different places before he found a permanent position.  It's not even teaching history anymore.  He has an associate's degree in airplane maintenance, so now he is an IT/technology teacher.  My sister-in-law was a math teacher for only a few years after graduating too and never went back.  She caught some students cheating, and the administrators backed the kids' complaining parents instead of her.  So, she got the short end of the stick on that deal.  She has not gone back to teaching since and probably won't.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal