collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What is the most expensive pony you've ever bought?  (Read 15218 times)

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most expensive pony you've ever bought?
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2018, 11:07:02 PM »
If we're talking lots, I spent $200 on a lot of playsets, accessories and ponies. And I said earlier I spent $130 each on a few ponies, I realized I'm thinking in CAD so is USD it would be less.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2018, 12:20:58 AM »
My overseas-sourced grails - I think I paid $70 including shipping for my first ever Nightglider, then a while later I got TAF Buttons for a little bit less.

I felt a bit disgusted at myself afterwards,  :lol:  but they were worth it!  :lovey: :lovey:

Most of my other G1s are not in mint condition, I am happy to rehome them or restore baity ones, thus I only pay smallish amounts for them, usually under £10 if possible.

I may venture over this limit to help build my Honeycomb army (if they are in good condition) - but I already have enough so I am not too fussed  :P

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2018, 02:36:14 AM »
My most expensive single pony was my beloved Fireball - and he was on the limit of what I am prepared to pay for a hard-to-find pony (high 10s of british pounds). However, there are only a couple of expensive ponies on my wish list so sometimes you just have to go for it.
He's worth every penny to me as I really really wanted him and he makes me smile every day standing proudly at the front of the cabinet. He was still much much less than you'd need to drop on a decent pair of shoes or other such frippery though so I justify his price like that :)
In the grand scheme of things I've had the luck to find some lovely ponies in lots that were less than I would have been prepared to pay for them so it sort of evens out.

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
$400 for Rapunzel  back in 2014 as she was the last pony to finish my US collection. It was a buy it now so I went for it and glad I did considering what she can go for now. I spent more than that on pony lots years ago where I was able to get the twice as fancy babies, tux and magenta satin' and lace.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2018, 11:16:47 AM »
Brazilian Paradise, if we're talking single loose pony. I wanted Paradise since I was a kid and even wrote stories about her. But the Paradise I wrote about doesn't exist :/ and the Brazilian one is the closest that does. Because we didn't have SS ponies in the UK, I always imagined her without fur :)

I have been extremely lucky with a lot of my loose ponies, though. It all balances out in the end.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponytails

• Shenanigans Pony
  • Trade Count: (+134)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I love Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2018, 10:18:12 PM »
Long time ago. LSPP in the box. I think I paid around $850.

I would spend that and more for her...just saying. Last needed G3 pony for me.

Many many years ago...I spent a majority of my tax refund (around what dragonfly paid for LSPP MIB) on a G3 Rosey Posey with the card (which I cant find now because its in a safe place somewhere in my house/basement). At the time, there were only about 100 known available. A few years later an overseas person started selling a bunch of them in baggies with no card so she became easier to obtain for less money

But Id spend it again. No regrets.

Second pricy pony was $90 for the TAF Pony Project pony. Planned purchase. Again, no regrets.
My G3 grail is LS Pinkie Pie MIB.  If you have her for sale or trade, I WILL pay.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2018, 05:45:16 AM »

Many many years ago...I spent a majority of my tax refund (around what dragonfly paid for LSPP MIB) on a G3 Rosey Posey with the card (which I cant find now because its in a safe place somewhere in my house/basement). At the time, there were only about 100 known available. A few years later an overseas person started selling a bunch of them in baggies with no card so she became easier to obtain for less money

Second pricy pony was $90 for the TAF Pony Project pony. Planned purchase. Again, no regrets.

What is LSPP?

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2018, 06:05:01 AM »
I purchased Anchor's Away for $30. She wasn't what I expected... Her tinsel is stretched and she doesn't shine like she did in the listing photos  ._.

I was able to snap up an official MOC Holly Dash for $25. And then I just splurged on a G4 Rainbow Flash and Starswirl pair which was over $100. And Applejack's puppy. Applejack's puppy took more precedence than the ponies, ha!

I am so happy that I was able to get these.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:17:59 PM by Sweet Daes »

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2018, 09:45:34 AM »
With all the budget minded people on this thread, I'm wondering who keeps winning those stupid expensive auctions on ebay:p 

I know, right?  Apparently you and me and just a few others here appear to be paying too much for ponies, everyone else seems to find them somewhere cheaper!  :lol:

It's hard being a collector in a country like Australia, where the US Dollar is considerably stronger than our local currency, because by the time you factor in the currency conversion AND the outrageously expensive international shipping costs, a single not-super-expensive pony which may originally have cost $10 USD often ends up costing $30+ Australian dollars.  That's per pony.  Consider that any rare ponies purchased overseas in USD or GBP once converted to AUD will end up cost one third to double as much as it would for someone buying the pony who lives in the country of origin. 

And countries like Australia have a much smaller market for ponies for sale locally, and 9/10 times the only ponies for sale are super common and not the ones you're looking for.  Which means you ship in almost every pony you want.  I've probably imported 94% of my collection, as those ponies just do not come up for sale here.  Like, ever. So many international collectors operate at a disadvantage due to their geographical location as well as the currency conversion expenses.  If I lived in the US or Europe I am certain I could afford twice as many ponies as I can now.  Everything just costs so muh money to bring to Australia  >_<

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2018, 10:33:06 AM »
Currency conversion does play a huge role in these kinds of decisions, as does import duty for a lot of folk.

When the currency here crashed after the brexit vote it became much more expensive suddenly to buy ponies from overseas.

£ is still a bigger unit of currency than I think pretty much anywhere else, but that doesn't always matter in real terms. In the past I can remember times when you could get £1 being $2 USD and then it was nice to buy from the US - but now it's a lot weaker than that :( At one point it was $1.28 USD to the £. That was really bad. I think now it's around 1.4$ USD to the £. The Euro is also really strong in recent years so that's not a great exchange rate either. And after we leave the EU, who knows if we'll have custom fees there as well :( I am buying from Europe while I can, basically :/

I rarely buy in AUS$ or $CAD but I do remember both are smaller units of currency than the $US.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2018, 10:59:59 AM »
I spent $30 on mint in box G3 Candy Cane.

From reading some posts in this topic it sounds like that was a lot to spend, but I had a lot of money to throw around back then so I'm fine with it.

|My Collection|

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2018, 04:46:59 PM »
I spent $30 on mint in box G3 Candy Cane.

From reading some posts in this topic it sounds like that was a lot to spend, but I had a lot of money to throw around back then so I'm fine with it.
Candy Cane *gets teary eyed* The one pony I really regret selling in my purge. I got her new as a kid. $30 is twice as much as I see other NIB winter g3s
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2018, 06:40:31 PM »

What is LSPP?
I want to know too! What/who is this mystery thing/pony?

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2018, 06:45:21 PM »
LSPP = Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
http://www.ponytopia.com/2003-3/profiles/03_pinkie_pie_ls_profile.htm
She was a very limited release special pony given out when the G3s were first starting.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline cookifaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • My real pony is jealous of my vinyl ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2018, 12:12:37 AM »
My most expensive pony was my Flutter Pony, Morning Glory. She still has her original wings and her factory curls and she's in mint condition. She even came with her ribbon, comb and sticker. I think I payed £21 Inc postage at the end!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal