collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What is the most expensive pony you've ever bought?  (Read 15037 times)

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
What is the most expensive pony you've ever bought?
« on: May 21, 2018, 02:55:52 AM »
I just won two of my grails at auction (YAY!) and both on the same day, but they were NOT CHEAP.  I just spent an entire week's worth of pay on two ponies, and even I am wondering if I'm completely out of my mind.  :shocked:  I have about $23 to live on until next Thursday when my pay comes through (BOO!).  :huh: My brain is desperately trying to justify this outrageous expense when I'm already up to my eyeballs in debt, and although I really REALLY wanted them so I could complete the set, I know I should never have bought them as they were WAY out of my budget.

Please help make me feel better by telling me about some of your most expensive pony purchases in your collections!  Which ponies came along which you simply couldn't walk past, even when you knew you couldn't really afford them?  And how long did you have to live on ramen noodles before you recovered financially?

BEHOND MY NEW BEAUTIES
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most expensive pony you've ever bought?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 03:55:24 AM »
I've bought expensive ponies...

but I have always saved up for them, because I don't believe to be in debt for non-essential things. I always make sure that I have a steady flow of income, a hefty emergency savings, an additionally a casual savings for "fun stuff" be it a toy, food, or whatever. Money first, then pony.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 04:49:07 AM »
My most expensive  official pony puld have been haven bay. 

The ponys i have spent the most on would have to be the greek fakies.  I paid around $200 for them

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 05:06:06 AM »
I don't spend so I put myself in a financial hole, but I have had the pony purchases that made me close my wallet for quite some time afterwards.  I have been fortunate to have gotten almost all of my biggest price tag ponies as gifts for various events like Christmas, graduation, my wedding, and the odd birthday.  There was one glaring exception to this, and it's bugged me for years. 

For a very, very long time, the most I ever spent on a single pony was for a MIP SS Windwhistler.  I had wanted that particular pony since she first hit the stores in the 80s, and she was top of my list to get once I found ebay back in '97.  She just didn't come up at all until one day - there she was!  Someone had stuck a finger under the bubble at the bottom to get the sticker out and it was stapled closed at the bottom, but she was MOC enough for me!   Unfortunately, there were a couple of hard core MOC collectors scouring ebay at the time, and nobody ever won against either of them.  Most people just gave up when either of their names came up on the bidders list(which you could see usernames back then).  I had never seen anyone succeed in outbidding either of them, and the crazier of the two marked *my* Windwhistler!

Well, I found out what it took to outbid the biggest MOC nut on ebay when I won that stupid pony.  I'm not sure, but I may have actually been the only person to straight up outbid her during her reign as queen of the MOC ponies on ebay.  I'm not sure about that, but it's entirely possible if she bid on her other auctions like she did on the one I went for.  I'm not going to give an exact figure because it's pretty awful(but boy do I remember it down to the penny), but I got my darn pony!  A childhood quest was finally at an end!  It went so high that another seller must've taken notice and put a truly MOC one up a few days later.  The crazy lady who ran me up won the second one for less than an 7th of the price I paid for my partially open one:/ 

I wasn't desperate afterwards, but I did steer clear of ebay for several months, and my "entertainment/fun things" budget was shot for a while too.  It was a pretty dull time at my place for a while.  Lots of evenings in, playing old video games and watching my old tapes instead of going out and doing things.  I wasn't on only ramen afterwards, but my "it's the weekend - I want a treat" meals from my favorite restaurants didn't happen for a while either.  I did manage to get my hands on a few pizzas that were $5 for the whole thing on Tuesdays, but other than that I stayed home and cooked my own food:/   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:14:11 AM by goddessofpeep »

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 05:20:09 AM »
25 dollars for a lot of 5 ponies
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 05:38:20 AM »
I think for me that was around $90.00 for the mom pony and the tiny baby twins.

Offline mewthemew

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 05:47:27 AM »
7 USD for a single G2 Berry Bright. :/ Cheapest one at the time I could find on Ebay.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 06:44:13 AM »
I have bought some pretty pricey ponies the last few years, being lucky to save that much money.  I have also gotten a few as gifts when my hubby teams up with my parents for Christmas and birthday gifts.  My most expensive one was Greek Lambiditsa (Easter Candle sitting pony).  My first most-expensive was pink-haired Venny AJ.  Others have included Piggy Snuzzle (gift), Baby Sugarcake (gift), Argie Sprinkles, and Greek Baby Minty. 

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline emily_katie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 06:47:58 AM »
My collection is in its infancy, but I have spent around £10 pounds on a lot of 4 common ponies before (Including postage). I tend to buy ponies in lots as apposed to singularly as  its more economical. I don't mind ponies that are imperfect and I don't have many of them anyway, so chances of doubles are low at this point!

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                                       Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Offline starstrider

• Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 06:48:20 AM »
I wasn't desperate afterwards, but I did steer clear of ebay for several months, and my "entertainment/fun things" budget was shot for a while too.  It was a pretty dull time at my place for a while.  Lots of evenings in, playing old video games and watching my old tapes instead of going out and doing things.  I wasn't on only ramen afterwards, but my "it's the weekend - I want a treat" meals from my favorite restaurants didn't happen for a while either.  I did manage to get my hands on a few pizzas that were $5 for the whole thing on Tuesdays, but other than that I stayed home and cooked my own food:/   

So satisfying when you finally get that really special grail, isn't it?  WW is gorgeous.  Bidding wars are the pits though.  I always promise myself I won't exceed X amount bid, but in the dying seconds of the auction and bidding war heats up, certain lines get crossed  :P  I think I'll be steering clear of eBay for a few months after this.  Am absolutely stoked to finally get these grails I've been chasing literally for years, but it's wiped me out as far as pony budgeting goes.  I would have been okay if it had just been one grail, but two on the same day at the same time?  Brutal.  Will be spending a lot of time hanging out at home and living cheaply for the next few months!  Netflix and sleep, methinks.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 07:09:32 AM »
Congratulations on your lovelies.

Not counting customs or lots, $40.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline PrincessNikki

• Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 08:02:55 AM »
I don't spend so I put myself in a financial hole, but I have had the pony purchases that made me close my wallet for quite some time afterwards.  I have been fortunate to have gotten almost all of my biggest price tag ponies as gifts for various events like Christmas, graduation, my wedding, and the odd birthday.  There was one glaring exception to this, and it's bugged me for years. 

For a very, very long time, the most I ever spent on a single pony was for a MIP SS Windwhistler.  I had wanted that particular pony since she first hit the stores in the 80s, and she was top of my list to get once I found ebay back in '97.  She just didn't come up at all until one day - there she was!  Someone had stuck a finger under the bubble at the bottom to get the sticker out and it was stapled closed at the bottom, but she was MOC enough for me!   Unfortunately, there were a couple of hard core MOC collectors scouring ebay at the time, and nobody ever won against either of them.  Most people just gave up when either of their names came up on the bidders list(which you could see usernames back then).  I had never seen anyone succeed in outbidding either of them, and the crazier of the two marked *my* Windwhistler!

Well, I found out what it took to outbid the biggest MOC nut on ebay when I won that stupid pony.  I'm not sure, but I may have actually been the only person to straight up outbid her during her reign as queen of the MOC ponies on ebay.  I'm not sure about that, but it's entirely possible if she bid on her other auctions like she did on the one I went for.  I'm not going to give an exact figure because it's pretty awful(but boy do I remember it down to the penny), but I got my darn pony!  A childhood quest was finally at an end!  It went so high that another seller must've taken notice and put a truly MOC one up a few days later.  The crazy lady who ran me up won the second one for less than an 7th of the price I paid for my partially open one:/ 

I enjoyed reading about your ebay journey. There are those super rich determined people out that that "stalk" ceetain products. It is super frustrating.

Offline babypowder

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • Thanks to Ponyland Press for my adoptable
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 08:04:14 AM »
Like 17$-20$ bucks on some of the old G4's. ouch.
Cutie Marks for Cutie Marks!

Offline starstrider

• Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 08:11:03 AM »
My most expensive  official pony puld have been haven bay. 

The ponys i have spent the most on would have to be the greek fakies.  I paid around $200 for them

@Pyrodarknessanny So far you're the only person who had admitted to spending triple digits for a pony!  Apparently everyone else has managed to assemble their collections on a shoestring budget.  :P

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 08:15:33 AM »
Sealight with her shell for $40, I think.

If we're going beyond just regular ponies, then I got Twibot for full price at TRU shortly after Christmas, so that was $130. But Sealight is my most expensive regular pony so far.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal