collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Meet your new Princess - Update: TOYS & TRAILER  (Read 33302 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Meet your new Princess - Update: TOYS & TRAILER
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2018, 07:35:06 AM »
Uh-oh... after that spoiler I need to make comment sections a taboo for me. I really don't care to find out how the comic book nerds will react to this.

But I wonder how many more parents we will see now. Technically they are all tweens so it would make sense for some of them to live at home. Not all can be orphans.

In a resistance situation under a horde dictatorship, I think a lot of them could...

And maybe a thundercat. Maybe a cross between thundercat and something from 90s anime. And not DBZ.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2018, 08:16:15 AM »
A cross between a thundercat (perhaps in particular from 2011?) And Merle from Escaflowne haha

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2018, 11:18:21 AM »
Uh-oh... after that spoiler I need to make comment sections a taboo for me. I really don't care to find out how the comic book nerds will react to this.

But I wonder how many more parents we will see now. Technically they are all tweens so it would make sense for some of them to live at home. Not all can be orphans.

In a resistance situation under a horde dictatorship, I think a lot of them could...

That would make sense but would also be really dark. Depending on the tone of the series.
I already sense this Hordac will be less comical and Shadow might be much more dangerous.

I recently watched Horde Prime on Vacation or what that episode is called :lol: It will be interesting to see if Horde Prime exists in this version or if Hordac is the No. 1

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2018, 02:12:28 PM »
I am all for Shadow Weaver being more dark and twisty even than she originally was. She was always my favourite character, largely because the figures I liked best barely had a cartoon outing and didn't have a ton of appearances. Toy-wise my favourite was Flutterina (Papillon as I called her...) so yeah. But I did love Shadow Weaver. I have one somewhere that someone made for me xD. So they can make her as dark and twisty and complex as they like.

Not so fussed about Horde Prime/Hordac but it seems like they're paying some attention to that backstory, so maybe it will be kept in reserve?

As I said before, I still have high hopes for Catra to be more 3 dimensional a character than she was in the original. And if she is, maybe Entrapta and the other one whose name I forget will not be so annoying either. Scorpia? Maybe that's her...?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »
I'm hoping for a twist where it is revealed that Shadow Weaver has been conspiring against Hordak behind the scenes, eventually overthrowing him to take control of the Evil Horde for a hidden agenda of her own.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2018, 01:04:53 PM »
I'm hoping for a twist where it is revealed that Shadow Weaver has been conspiring against Hordak behind the scenes, eventually overthrowing him to take control of the Evil Horde for a hidden agenda of her own.

Yes please!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »

Yes please!

Right? He always did run off with her great suggestions in the old cartoon, leaving her frustrated with him. She should get her time to rule!

We are getting closer btw; two more weeks till the show drops!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2018, 08:14:29 AM »
The newer designs are awful on closer inspection. Its like they're edging closer into Cal-Arts territory.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline mlly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2018, 12:36:08 PM »
The more I see of this the less excited and optimistic I am to be honest...

While I am always for diverse body types I'm just not feeling the art style itself and most of the designs at all.. Something about the art style to me just lacks 'flair' idk..

With the story/writing- I am honestly super suuuper tired of Avatar/Voltron LD/Young Justice/Dragon Prince whatever etc.. type cartoons (and their bland art styles too)...

While I don't think the original cartoon was actually good its timely goofiness was part of it's charm and why it was fun to watch.

Prolly won't watch this anymore...

The newer designs are awful on closer inspection. Its like they're edging closer into Cal-Arts territory.

There is no such thing as 'Cal-Arts style'. The reason why so many cartoons today looks similar is the same reason the looked similar in previous decades - because it's the style that's currently trendy. I mean, the earliest usage of the term 'calarts style' was for The Iron Giant movie of all things...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:46:38 PM by mlly »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2018, 07:07:24 PM »
https://youtu.be/t8fvxycRpBc

What the everliving...? I'm now convinced that these people have never seen a SINGLE episode in their entire existence. Swiftwind's name isn't ******* Horsie!

Plus She-Ra is an incompetent boob with that sword. This is the trained warrior that was supposed to get promoted to a higher rank in Hordak's army? Someone who trips over there own feet trying to swing a sword around?  Just leave that girl where she's at and wave buh-bye to Hordak's army in a couple of years.

I did better with a sword my first time. A couple of little kids with foam or plastic swords do better then this.

This makes Skyward Sword look competent in terms of swordplay.

What are the creators doing over there?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:11:13 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2018, 07:39:08 AM »

There is no such thing as 'Cal-Arts style'. The reason why so many cartoons today looks similar is the same reason the looked similar in previous decades - because it's the style that's currently trendy. I mean, the earliest usage of the term 'calarts style' was for The Iron Giant movie of all things...

Thank you. This argument is getting recycled all the time and it's so tiring. Art style trends have existed since art was first defined. You can dislike them or not but that's in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I hate the thick outline style of various older CN shows. And I hate Ren and Stimpy, whose creator was one of those who made "CalArts style!!!" popular. So let me just name them CN style and R&S style and now they are both bad. Spongebob Squarepants is R&S and therefore bad and unimaginative. All those CN shows are copies of each other because they all have the same CN style. Who can tell Deedee from Dexter apart from Powerpuff Girls? Awful.

And since we had this subject before... I want to remember anyone that Rick & Morty is literally CalArts but isn't shunned for it for some reason. So what is CalArts style supposed to be?

It's the same with "Mary Sue". A word that has lost all meaning because people started to apply it to anything they dislike. Because it's easier to just brand something.

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2018, 10:18:36 AM »
I'm still okay with a lot of the story/character changes, but the lack of fluidity in the animation is dampening my enthusiasm I'm afraid - that's my main issue with what I've seen so far.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 04:07:59 AM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline mlly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2018, 02:55:55 AM »
I like Bow's and Angella's designs those 2 definitely look better than the originals, and the backgrounds are quite nice but that's pretty much all the positive I can currently say about this so far.
I just don't think I will like the writing/characterization with what they've currently shown.

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2018, 04:45:20 AM »
Eek  :(. I couldn't keep myself from watching the entire season's early spoiler discussion that's currently on youtube... Oh my, no. Just no. The source is unconfirmed, but the spoilers fit right in with the tone of the show based on everything that has been officially revealed so far. It's a parody of the original - that's the best way to put it, I guess. Just look at the clip of Adora trying to activate the sword's magic  :huh: .... That is the comedic tone we can expect throughout the series.

Some of the unconfirmed spoilers:

Spoiler
- Light Hope is a computer projection (e.g. Jem's Synergy). Adora/She-Ra can't always follow the story exposition that Light Hope is providing, but LH doesn't pay attention to that and just continues to ramble on.

- The princesses are going to have a prom. I can't tell you more, because my brain stopped working upon learning this. How do you factor a prom into a show like She-Ra?

- Madam Razz is back - kind of... She is just a weird lady - no magic, nothing. And she has a geisha type fan that has the image of Lookie on it. She's portrayed as being kind of crazy, saying that she has two companions: her broom (a basic broom, not a live one), and Lookie - but Lookie loves to hide (because he's on a fan, get it..? 'Cause when you close the fan, he's gone...) Pffff

- Hordak is nothing more than a presence. Does nothing but sit around and say menacing things. Never a confrontation between Hordak and She-Ra.

- A lot of queerbaiting. Lots of mentioning the gay/bi orientation of characters, but nothing is actually fleshed out. Think LeFou in the live action Beauty and the Beast.

- The so-called legend of She-Ra goes back to a woman named Mara, who was booted from her role as warrior princess because she couldn't keep her personal life from interfering with her power princess responsibilities. So the powers behind the sword want Adora to part with her friends as well, to avoid a repeat of the past.

Again, none of this has been confirmed to be true. If it is, it will be an underwhelming experience for me. This is not quite what I was expecting, and I had a very open mind...

Three more days, and we'll know.

EDIT: DW approved reviews following the early screening are beginning to pop up, and I'm watching the first one right now. Will post my thoughts later on :)

EDIT 2: I'm two minutes into the second review, and I can already say that it all comes across as rather biased. Both of the reviewers start off by saying that they didn't really watch the original, to then go on and say how much better the new design of the characters is. Whereas the old show used the same body type over and over again for every female Rebellion member, this one has different body and skin types. Yes, I will give them that.
One of them did confess that - unlike with Voltron (which I've never watched, but the reviewer is an avid fan) - she can't binge watch the new She-Ra. Freely paraphrased "The new She-Ra is something fun to enjoy from ep to ep, spread out over time." People also seem to really like the voice acting; a lot of emotion is portrayed through the voice. I personally already got that from the clips, the voice actors are doing a fantastic job - my issue is that the emotion in the voice doesn't gel well with the wooden animation of the character though.
The first reviewer I watched said that She-Ra is much more conflicted in this new version about fighting her previous family - the Horde, compared to the old one. I can get this as well, but then I do wonder why she would have that impression if she didn't watch the original...
People loved the backgrounds. No surprise there. The BGs are great, but if anything, these awesome backgrounds put an emphasis on the limited animation of the foreground elements. And no one seems to point that out.
All in all, the reviewers are positive, encouraging the audience to watch the show...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 06:09:39 AM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2018, 07:09:43 AM »
That explains a lot actually.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal