collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Meet your new Princess - Update: TOYS & TRAILER  (Read 33414 times)

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Meet your new Princess (no, not Meghan Markle)
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2018, 06:19:17 AM »
I have to admit that I wasn't expecting them to look *that* young, so I'm wondering just how convincing it will be having a bunch of kids lead or attack some horde soldiers.

This image in particular reminds me a lot of Avatar The Last Airbender for some reason:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2018, 07:50:47 AM »
It looks kinda like a cross between older anime and hanna barberra.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2018, 09:42:59 AM »
One of my favorite She-Ra/He-Man/Jem jokes is how stupid the people were for not realizing who they were when they have the exact same face, voice and stature and when they are around the other person leaves :lol:

To be fair, Jem could be Jem and Jerrica at the same time, so long as nobody was trying to hug them both at the same time. Synergy often projected Jerrica when Jerrica was being Jem or vice versa, so that's not quite so idiotic. And most of the people she was truly close to also knew her secret. Rio doesn't count because he was an ape who two timed her with herself and then tried to three-time her, so I disregard him...

With SheRa and HeMan it is a bit weird that changing clothes is enough...?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2018, 05:12:08 AM »
Nope, it looks nothing like the original and honestly looks like a bunch of fan art. *sigh* some things don't need to be brought back.

I hated the Bayformers therefore all TF should cease to exist. I hated the Jem movie so I hope Jem will never be back again. I don't like G4 toys so I hope MLP will die. Some things should just never come back again, am I right? :lol:

Post Merge: July 21, 2018, 05:37:09 AM

my son thought She-Ra was Thor and my daughter crinkled her nose and asked why they were not pretty :(

Pretty alarming to me that your kids apparently base the goodness of female characters on looking "pretty".
Toxic self image starts with the media your kids consume. Maybe also ask your son why it's negative to him that a teen girl "looks like Thor". Maybe tell him girls can be physically strong, too. You're their mom, aren't you worried about that?

I can't believe what some people here are saying just because you personally dislike the look of something. Btw I know kids who think the new Barbie Fashionistas are too fat and too man looking, lol! You won't believe what young kids already pick up on just by watching their parents reaction to things.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 05:39:11 AM by Zapper »

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2018, 09:37:08 AM »
No, I am not worried about that because I do not buy into that nonsense. Little girls, like my perfectly normal and awesome little girl, like pretty things. Not all of course, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with girls being girls and boys being boys. I allow my children the space and freedom to be whomever they want to be. My little girl likes to dress up and be a pretty princess, she is also a beast in Tae Kwon-Do. I would not change anything about her. My son has a point, she looks like a boy. It was an innocent comment from a child, not something that needs to be dissected.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:40:53 AM by Icey »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2018, 10:32:38 AM »
Nope, it looks nothing like the original and honestly looks like a bunch of fan art. *sigh* some things don't need to be brought back.

I hated the Bayformers therefore all TF should cease to exist. I hated the Jem movie so I hope Jem will never be back again. I don't like G4 toys so I hope MLP will die. Some things should just never come back again, am I right? :lol:

I know that wasn't aimed at me, but I am actually okay with all of those suggestions?
I can't really comment on TF because I don't follow them, but I never wanted Jem to come back, and still don't. And I don't mind if MLP ends. At this point, we're just going to get regurgitated mane 6 forever so it's not that big a loss.

I don't really believe in something come back at any cost and with any sacrifice. The Jem movie is the best example of that, and that argument rattled over and over the Jem community for months before the film came out, ultimately proving the sceptics right about the content.

Precious things don't cease to be precious if future developers trample all over them, but sometimes it would be nice if they just left the old things be and made new things for modern kids to get excited over. I don't need ponies in stores to be a pony fan. My generation ended in 1994 and I'm still kicking, so it's no big deal to me if G4 were to suddenly vanish and there was no G5 :) (I guess maybe that should be in the unpopular opinion thread??)

That said, I do hope this series does well with the characters. I don't really like the art style either...but the story/character basis is more important to me.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2018, 09:50:40 AM »
I have to admit that I wasn't expecting them to look *that* young, so I'm wondering just how convincing it will be having a bunch of kids lead or attack some horde soldiers.

This image in particular reminds me a lot of Avatar The Last Airbender for some reason:

The style does look like Avatar-

I really liked that cartoon and my nieces were obsessed with it so if it is anything as good as that, I have very high hopes indeed :D

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »
I for one am very, very glad they didn't go for an over-sexualized, pretty-pretty-princess look.  She looks just fine; anyone who thinks that Adora/She-Ra doesn't look like a girl needs a broader concept of what a girl looks like.  Her outfit is completely sensible for the badass fighting she has to do, except maybe the loose hair but we'll let that one fly under the flag of movie magic.  ;)  The art style is neither a plus nor minus to me, my enjoyment is going to swing largely on how the story-writing goes.

Kids decide on 'girl stuff' and 'boy stuff' exclusively based on cultural influences.  It's something they've absorbed, usually from birth. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Icey

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2018, 05:58:55 AM »
Gender is not a social construct or cultural, there have been studies done to show that boys will gravitate toward boy stuff and girls will gravitate toward girl stuff (both ape and human studies). The whole gender is a social construct stuff comes from people who have a very specific agenda. Anything my children have ever asked for they have received regardless of who it is geared toward. My son had a dollhouse and baby dolls when he was little because she showed an interest in them. This set my FIL off, but I didn't care. My daughter has her own Transformers and Match Box cars. The problem today is that people do not want to allow children to be who they are. They want to force them to be something they THINK they should be.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 06:06:26 AM by Icey »

Offline SaraMari

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2018, 06:42:32 AM »
The She-ra cartoon was before my time, tho I did have two dolls when I was little, so to me I'm not going to have nostalgia coloring my perception of the reboot. I do agree it's getting tiring to wake up everyday to news of a new reboot being done, kids nowadays should have their own stories. But I guess media outlets see this as a chance to not only get a kid audience but cash in on that sweet sweet millennial nostalgia (which seems to be high right now)

Now as for my initial opinion on what's available so far on the new She-ra? It's positive, I like the designs as I appreciate different body types. I have very broad shoulders and am tall so I have experienced my share of bullying for not being "pretty" enough. However I don't feel a body shape dictates beauty. Contrary I like her more broad shape as it makes her sword fighting more believable.

Speaking of I really do not like the original She-ra cartoon. The writing is non existent, voice acting rather stilted, and animation just terrible (as per the norm of that time). I got half way thru it before I had to stop. If the new She-ra has an interesting plot, character development and depth I will be happy to watch it.

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2018, 07:21:39 AM »
Gender is not a social construct or cultural, there have been studies done to show that boys will gravitate toward boy stuff and girls will gravitate toward girl stuff (both ape and human studies). The whole gender is a social construct stuff comes from people who have a very specific agenda. Anything my children have ever asked for they have received regardless of who it is geared toward. My son had a dollhouse and baby dolls when he was little because she showed an interest in them. This set my FIL off, but I didn't care. My daughter has her own Transformers and Match Box cars. The problem today is that people do not want to allow children to be who they are. They want to force them to be something they THINK they should be.

:iconclap: Precisely.  Sadly its always been a problem and will always be a problem.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Icey

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2018, 07:43:06 AM »
Thanks, LaW. I really do not mean to be argumentative. I was an expert on parenting too before I became a parent - LOL!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2018, 08:43:50 AM »

While I agree there are differences some of what those differences are is cultural. Pink used to be considered a masculine color and blue was ideal for women because it signified purity. That's why so many images of Mary have her wearing blue. And you letting your son play with dollhouses and baby dolls and your daughter's interest in cars just proves that gender interests are not as narrow as society tries to make them. I just wish everyone would let everyone like what they like and be how they feel happiest.

Back to She Ra the thing is if any boys did look like her everyone would be questioning his masculinity. She just looks like a girl who hasn't gone through puberty yet. Before puberty boys and girls look pretty much the same.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2018, 03:22:43 AM »
'Boy stuff' is only 'boy stuff' and 'girl stuff is only 'girl stuff' because we've made it so, for the most part.  High heels used to be for men only!  Same with colours which switched associations, as Wardah pointed out.  A lot of gendered things are purely arbitrary. 

Here's to hoping the reboot gets some stellar story-writing and world building.  Most of my love of the original comes from nostalgia and there's plenty of room for improvement in those areas.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2018, 10:14:32 AM »
There was a really interesting experiment done here a while back with a class of 7 year olds which they tried to challenge gender stereotypes and assumptions with.

What they established was that the kids by the age of 7 had fixed gender roles for several jobs in their mind although they weren't actually exclusive to that gender.

They also did an experiment with babies and caretakers and the caretaker, if given a female name and a baby in a dress would push dolls and plushies on the baby, whereas one dressed in boy clothes with a boy name would get trucks or cars or robots pushed on them.

I think that probably we are all guilty of reinforcing gender differences without even realising it. What the experiment achieved by the end of it was that the guys were more able to talk about stuff rather than getting angry. The girls gained confidence in their abilities to deal with maths and so on.

I mean, it's just one experiment and one class but I tend to believe a lot of gender ideas are social construct. Do kids go to the boy or girl toys or do they end up there because of what influences are around them?

It's an interesting question and I think it can be much more looked into than it currently has been.

BUT I think ultimately the most important thing is for the kid to like and choose what to play with at least if they can. I had sensible people in my life that didn't force barbie on me because they knew I didn't like it. And really listening to the kid and what the kid asks for, even if they ask for it becuase their friends have it and they can therefore play with it with someone else...is important.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal