collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Meet your new Princess - Update: TOYS & TRAILER  (Read 33548 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Meet your new Princess - Update: TOYS & TRAILER
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2018, 12:33:27 PM »
Yeah I had my doubts based on the various re-makes of SSC, Jem-

Plus I was not excited by the preview images-

But then I saw the show pop up on Netflix and started watching and... was very pleasantly surprised!

I like the effort at making all the characters less 2 dimensional than the original.

Of course I LOVED the original but I was 6 so... I did not need a lot of character development... the old show is a lot harder to watch as an adult, haha...

I hope they get a second season!!!!

I also hope the show is wildly popular (it seems to be pretty popular so far) and gets a different licensee for the dolls/toys, which are not really my cup of tea.

Specifically I wish Mattel would take back the license and do the toys, but I don't see that happening anytime soon so I guess I won't hold my breath. :(

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2018, 06:19:38 PM »
I hope they get a second season!!!!
Season 2 is already in the works, they haven't officially announced it, but you can gather as much info from what teh creators etc have mentioned on various social media, etc...
I also hope the show is wildly popular (it seems to be pretty popular so far) and gets a different licensee for the dolls/toys, which are not really my cup of tea.

Specifically I wish Mattel would take back the license and do the toys, but I don't see that happening anytime soon so I guess I won't hold my breath. :(

Mattel officially filed trademarks, etc for She-Ra/Adora, Bow and Glimmer... toys are in teh works and will likely be like DC Super hero girls from what I have gathered. I have seen specific links for all of this, but don't have them on hand, but essentially, its a slow burn for Mattel, who imo, haven't dropped the ball, but didn't exactly grab the bull by the horns either..
I'm glad folks seem to like it so much. I can hardly contain my enthusiasm for the show. Its in teh top 100 for imdb and is trending on lots of top 10 sites for TV shows.

I've stated it here and elsewhere but I can essentially tell that its already a runaway hit, despite some naysayers here or there (hey if its not for you, I understand,But you still have the original to enjoy ;) :D  ) I've seen videos of little girls singing teh theme song and jumping up and down while viewing, heard tell of kids begging for more episodes when its past bedtime, etc etc, and thats what warms my heart the most is that She-Ra is here for a new generation to love and enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 06:23:03 PM by heftysmurf76 »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2018, 03:25:07 AM »
Finally finished it.
It's so good! I think I found my new favorite animated series of the moment (sorry Tangled Adventures, still love ya).

It's a great re-imagening! Everyone is brimming with personality and humor is there.
Lots of ramblings under the spoiler cut:

Spoiler
I loved how many callbacks it had to the original. But they were'nt in your face.
Like Seahawk punching the console in one scene looked exactly like that "guy punches" stock animation. I let out a shriek. Other PoP fans, can you confirm? It's when he frees Bow from his cell. That weird fluid punch and hand on the hip movement :lol:

If you compare these chars to the 80s ones... it's almost impossible because some characters did not even have a personality in the original. They just had abilities. Only a few got to have more traits, like Huntara. I NEED her to appear.

I also laughed when they acknowledged that She-Ra was "not like the She-Ras from the past". Nips any kind of "she is not 100% like the original, waahh!!!" argument in the bud.
She gets reincarnated. You could say... she gets rebooted once in a while :cool:

They even made the gemstones from the toyline important! "What does Netossa even do?" " NET TOSS. I toss nets?!?!?!"  :lol:
Swiftie being aware that they keep the horses in captivity and wanting to change it... now they need to introduce unicorn island with the human hating unicorn king XD I loved that ep.

It's a lovingly done series. I can't wait to get more seasons!
I had a little tear in my eye when that young Catra and Adora flashback happened. And what about that dance? Catra looking dapper in that tuc and Scorpia in an evening gown! Oh yeah.

Catra, Scorpia and Entrapta really are all so endearing. In the original they were just evil brutes. Well, Catra was also jealous and petty, which is still there. And they gave her a heartbreaking reason to be. Love her.

Post Merge: November 20, 2018, 03:40:03 AM

(...) what warms my heart the most is that She-Ra is here for a new generation to love and enjoy!

A M E N brother. Omg I have developped such a hatred for people,especially grown adults, who nitpicked this show to death starting from the very first screencap. There is constructive criticism and being wary of new things... and then there is gatekeeping and the wish to see certain things stay dead instead of getting a fresh new look for a new gen of children.

I hope She-Ra becomes its own thing and can finally step out of He-Man's shadow.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:40:03 AM by Zapper »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2018, 04:04:19 AM »
I have had a crazy couple of weeks with uni stuff so I haven't looked at it yet (not reading the thread properly in case of spoilers xD) but I believe it is on UK netflix. Maybe when things quiet down a bit and I don't have to read whole books before teaching a class I'll get to watch it. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have done...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2018, 04:55:34 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing what they have done...

Not a real spoiler but I know you love Shadow Weaver so you can really look forward to her having lots of screentime and importance.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2018, 07:01:16 AM »
Its not gate keeping if you dislike something. And fans don't have ultimate cosmic control of whether or not a reiteration will be made at all. As they are not in any way, shape or form in charge of any of the creative or financial processes.

Besides, I've seen some of those figures. They look cheap and poorly done. I've not seen Matel's offerings yet.

If they make a good looking Swift Wind, and some affordable repro toys I'll grab some. The adult collector ones they showed off were spectacular, but outta my price range unfortunately.

Its kinda strange saying that She-Ra has always been in He-Man's shadow, when they're literally tied to the same universe and both were very popular. As though she were a minor background character that needed her own story when she's had one all along and was a main character with her own shows.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 07:14:44 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2018, 07:50:19 AM »
A M E N brother. Omg I have developped such a hatred for people,especially grown adults, who nitpicked this show to death starting from the very first screencap. There is constructive criticism and being wary of new things... and then there is gatekeeping and the wish to see certain things stay dead instead of getting a fresh new look for a new gen of children.

Same.  I was watching a video game "review" of one of the Zelda games the other day and all this guy's complaints basically boiled down to . . . "It's not like the Zelda game I played when I was seven!  Things CHANGED!"

NO . . . really?  Things changed in the 30 years since you were a child?  Someone decided to try something different?  Truly that is shocking.  And to think no one consulted you, random angry geek.  How dare.  You sure showed them by making a whiny Youtube video.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2018, 08:26:53 AM »
Its not gate keeping if you dislike something. And fans don't have ultimate cosmic control of whether or not a reiteration will be made at all.

I don't disagree with you on the first part.
I also feel like we had this convo a couple of times already. Dislike can come in many forms. Some people have been so gross about this show from the get-go and if you are not one of them then you don't need to feel addressed.

The second part... Fan feedback nowadays can change an entire show. Look at FiM. Anti-fans can also become so vocal that creators are getting fired or online critique falls out overly negative because antis click a "zero" button 1000 times an hour.

Not that this will happen to She-Ra because it is widely liked apparently.
I am just fed up with grownups getting so heated and angry over a reboot of something from their childhood they start insulting people, especially young people, who are into it.

I wonder how the Transformers fandom survived the "Trukk not Munky" times, how MLP fandom survived the "shadow years"... I am glad I was too young and uninvolved back then because people would have verbally ripped me to shreds on usenet.
It must be scary to be a kid on the internet in 2018 when some SheRa Brony... (She-bro?) suddenly comes for your She-Ra cred and tells you the thing you love is trash and you are trash for liking it :lol:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2018, 08:36:28 AM »
It seems to me that most of the negativity is coming from older folks (people my age 40 give or take 5 years) who ADMITTEDLY have not watched the show.

I'm glad it's popular notwithstanding the angry bronies and their dumb youtube rants.

I love that there is a good story, great characters, and actual character development! Reminds me of the Last Airbender series, which I really liked.

I loved original She-ra of course, I was six! But watching the vintage episodes as an adult-  wow, it is so very clear that the show was nothing more than a commercial.  And my god the voices...  OLD she-ra will always have a nostalgic place in my heart, but if I ever want to watch it I think it is still on Netflix somewhere...

I love that the new show is so watchable :D

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2018, 09:41:43 AM »
Its not gate keeping if you dislike something. And fans don't have ultimate cosmic control of whether or not a reiteration will be made at all.

I also feel like we had this convo a couple of times already. Dislike can come in many forms. Some people have been so gross about this show from the get-go and if you are not one of them then you don't need to feel addressed.

The second part... Fan feedback nowadays can change an entire show. Look at FiM. Anti-fans can also become so vocal that creators are getting fired or online critique falls out overly negative because antis click a "zero" button 1000 times an hour.

I am just fed up with grownups getting so heated and angry over a reboot of something from their childhood they start insulting people, especially young people, who are into it.

I wonder how the Transformers fandom survived the "Trukk not Munky" times, how MLP fandom survived the "shadow years"... I am glad I was too young and uninvolved back then because people would have verbally ripped me to shreds on usenet.
It must be scary to be a kid on the internet in 2018 when some SheRa Brony... (She-bro?) suddenly comes for your She-Ra cred and tells you the thing you love is trash and you are trash for liking it :lol:

If people like it thats fine. Its good that its doing well. I think maybe people in general are just burnt out on reboots,  because there is like maybe, 1 or 2 good reboots (ThunderCats 2011,  Duck Tales) for every 5 sucky ones. (Teen Titans Go, ThunderCats Roar, Mega Man Fully Charged TMNT: Rise of the Turtles, the Jem movie).

Every reboot these days is almost always met with leery or negative reactions. And whose fault is that? The cartoonists for pulling down their pants and taking a massive dump on it, more often then not, and telling us that we will like it. 

I will say in fairness that neither the fans, nor the creators are blameless when it comes to nastiness and drama online. Takes two to argue.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:51:24 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2018, 09:56:33 AM »

Same.  I was watching a video game "review" of one of the Zelda games the other day and all this guy's complaints basically boiled down to . . . "It's not like the Zelda game I played when I was seven!  Things CHANGED!"

NO . . . really?  Things changed in the 30 years since you were a child?  Someone decided to try something different?  Truly that is shocking.  And to think no one consulted you, random angry geek.  How dare.  You sure showed them by making a whiny Youtube video.

Right?  And maybe not this guy, but some of these guys get pretty scary. Super focused and hateful- they get on these missions to bring people down-  whether it is a cartoonist or writer for a kid's show, or an actress they don't like, or even someone in government.

I have a co-worker who got involved in city counsel because she wanted to help change things, and of course there are hot-button issues that people get passionate above- in Seattle (as you know) it is the issue of what to do with homeless people and encampments...  because of her participation, she has been targeted, doxed, and threatened personally- and her family has been threatened too!  It used to be that kids were off limits- but no more.

It isn't hard to see how this internet culture of anonymous complaining-turned-bullying has shaped our country (and probably others) in the worst way...  I only hope that more people wake up enough to fight back in time...

Sometimes I look around and think we must be on that alternate track of reality where Sam (Quantum Leap) didn't save the day...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2018, 10:01:58 AM »

Right?  And maybe not this guy, but some of these guys get pretty scary. Super focused and hateful- they get on these missions to bring people down-  whether it is a cartoonist or writer for a kid's show, or an actress they don't like, or even someone in government.

I have a co-worker who got involved in city counsel because she wanted to help change things, and of course there are hot-button issues that people get passionate above- in Seattle (as you know) it is the issue of what to do with homeless people and encampments...  because of her participation, she has been targeted, doxed, and threatened personally- and her family has been threatened too!  It used to be that kids were off limits- but no more.

It isn't hard to see how this internet culture of anonymous complaining-turned-bullying has shaped our country (and probably others) in the worst way...  I only hope that more people wake up enough to fight back in time...

Sometimes I look around and think we must be on that alternate track of reality where Sam (Quantum Leap) didn't save the day...

That kinda behavior is never right. If there's one thing that's consistent, its that humanity is full of psychotic buttholes.  :pout:

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2018, 10:03:47 AM »
Finally finished it.
It's so good! I think I found my new favorite animated series of the moment (sorry Tangled Adventures, still love ya).
I miss Tangled already, wish they would stop changing the title of teh show, makes me scared my DVR will miss it again!
It's a lovingly done series. I can't wait to get more seasons!
I agree, a lot of attention to the old series and teh comics and even mini comics was paid. this to me is an acknowledgement to teh fans...

I'm trying so hard NOT to hate these people who have such vitriol and disdain for something that more than half the time they haven't even taken the time to actualy watch. I just don't understand all teh energy put into hating something? Its a hard concept for me to grasp, closest thing I can think is my disliek of the new Thundercats Roar series, I dont hate it but if I did its not something I would spend more than 5 minutes on, I move on with my life. I mean I HATE football, so I don't even waste time knowinng teams or watching or paying any mind to sports news. Why folks invest any of their tie in something they don't liek is beyond me...

Besides, I've seen some of those figures. They look cheap and poorly done. I've not seen Matel's offerings yet.
Are you talking about the 2 figures Super7 released? if so I agree with you, otehrwise there haven't been any otehr releases in regards to toys..

E X A C T L Y!!! Change is so hard for some people, heck its hard for me, but its a part of life and hwo we adjust to it is a decree of our character imo...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:05:59 AM by heftysmurf76 »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2018, 10:08:43 AM »
@hefty. Yup, those are the ones I'm talking about.

People were showing off great MOTU figures, but they were more for adult collectors, as they are a little pricier and seem nicely made.

Dunno what company is doing them though.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:14:18 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline mlly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2018, 07:47:34 AM »

If people like it thats fine. Its good that its doing well. I think maybe people in general are just burnt out on reboots,  because there is like maybe, 1 or 2 good reboots (ThunderCats 2011,  Duck Tales) for every 5 sucky ones. (Teen Titans Go, ThunderCats Roar, Mega Man Fully Charged TMNT: Rise of the Turtles, the Jem movie).

Every reboot these days is almost always met with leery or negative reactions. And whose fault is that? The cartoonists for pulling down their pants and taking a massive dump on it, more often then not, and telling us that we will like it. 

I will say in fairness that neither the fans, nor the creators are blameless when it comes to nastiness and drama online. Takes two to argue.

Rise of the TMNT is good though. While Thundercats 2011 had good animation the writing was kinda bland and cliched, and even ROTTMNT's dynamic stylized animation blows TC2011's generic wannabe anime out of the water too if you ask me. I wouldn't compare the recent TMNT to other reboots because TMNT, like Transformers, gets a new iteration every few years or soon after the latest one ends, unlike those other franchises that have not been touched for a long while until they rode the recent reboot trend.

(Sorry mods for getting off-topic)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal