collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Meet your new Princess - Update: TOYS & TRAILER  (Read 33486 times)

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
Re: Meet your new Princess - Update: TOYS & TRAILER
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2018, 05:05:31 PM »
The more I see, the more eager I am for Tuesday to get here. This is going to be fun. :)

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2018, 02:04:32 PM »
Unpopular opinion here, but I'm not really feeling Shadow Weaver's design. I like the wispy hair and the fact that apparently she walks on a lot of tiny spider legs (???) but her face... it looks like a Deadpool mask with a "nose", and those elf ears sticking out... not feeling it, not feeling it  >_<

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »
Hordak's design is good. He looks more or less the same. Maybe a little more streamlined and sleek.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ladybastilla

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2018, 09:17:56 AM »
I have watched the first three episodes so far. Non-spoiler / first impression review is that I think they've done a fabulous job. Is it different than the original? Yes. But it's also fun and well put together in its own way Here are my thoughts. Warning: spoilers!

Spoiler
-- The horse they find in the preview clip gets turned into Swiftwind by the sword and does not transform back and forth.

-- There is a Cowl plush pillow in one of the Brightmoon guest rooms.

-- Madame Razz does make an appearance in episode 3 and the predictions from an earlier post are accurate.

-- So far, my favorite character is Bow.

-- Glimmer's powers are better explained than in the original.

-- The connection between Catra and Adora is youthful and intersting.

Swap Wishlist

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2018, 12:12:59 PM »
Just watched the first and second episodes. I didn't see the original series so I cannot comment on that, but I think they've got a really cool setup so far.
Spoiler
It sounds like Catra didn't have so much of a connection with Adora beforehand, and I think this gives more room for character tensison than simply just enemies.
Watching Adora learn about life outside the Fright Zone will be interesting to see as the series goes on. It was cute watching her enjoy herself. I find Glimmer a bit bothersome but I'm never a huge fan of stubborn characters,  regardless of how much I like/don't like her I think she and Bow (is it not Beau?) have an adorable dynamic. 

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2018, 10:46:36 AM »
Die Hard She-Ra fan here! I absolutely LOVE this new series...very few things i DON'T like about it. I churned through all 13 episodes in 6 hours and want to rewatch them again very soon! LOVE Mermista's sassy dry attitude teh best , but the whole series is so well written and fun! I predict a massive hit for dreamworks with this!!!

Wanted to share my wall of PoP too, i got the button sets they gave out at NYCC from ebay, So pleased with my merch but I NEED MORE!!!!

And you have to know I had my tiara and sword handy while watching the show!!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2018, 04:32:22 PM »
Congrats Hefty. I didn't know they were out. Nice to put a face to a name too.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2018, 07:14:11 PM »
Congrats Hefty. I didn't know they were out. Nice to put a face to a name too.
Awww Thanks! I was so glad I discovered teh buttons! They are really well made for freebies they passed out, so is teh tiara! the Sword is of ok material, but I'll preserve it well ;)

Offline ladybastilla

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2018, 08:40:19 PM »
Yes, I've seen some YouTubers with the buttons and they look awesome. Congrats on getting a set of them for your collection. :) I'm up to episode 9 and Bow and Shadow Weaver and Catra are my favorites. Bow is just too cute for words, and I absolutely adore what they've done with the Horde in general. I find them much more intense and intimidating than in the original and they aren't always bumbling dummies for our heroes to outwit at every turn. The episode I'm watching right now has me biting my nails!

Also, not sure if it's Bow, Bo, or Beau, if I'm being honest. :)  That was a valid point, though.

Swap Wishlist

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2018, 08:46:28 PM »
Yes, I've seen some YouTubers with the buttons and they look awesome. Congrats on getting a set of them for your collection. :) I'm up to episode 9 and Bow and Shadow Weaver and Catra are my favorites. Bow is just too cute for words, and I absolutely adore what they've done with the Horde in general. I find them much more intense and intimidating than in the original and they aren't always bumbling dummies for our heroes to outwit at every turn. The episode I'm watching right now has me biting my nails!
Thanks! Yes it gets intense in teh last few episodes, from "the Princess Prom" on is action packed imo!
Also, not sure if it's Bow, Bo, or Beau, if I'm being honest. :)  That was a valid point, though.
It's officially "Bow", teh original toy and teh toon named him as much :D

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2018, 05:52:02 PM »
I don't have Netflix, so I stalk this thread to read the spoilers lol.  :biggrin: I think it's an interesting spin on She-Ra overall.  The animation isn't necessarily my cup of tea, but I still want to watch anyway  :yikes:

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2018, 07:17:25 PM »
I was adamant I was not going to watch it or at the very least I would hate it if I did. I binge watched it over the past two nights and I didn't hate it. I still think the animation is kind of meh, and there are a lot more goofy parts than I personally would have liked, but the kids loved them. I like that She-Ra is vulnerable in this one. One of my favorite characters definitely has to be Catra. They did a really good job fleshing her out and making her relatable in this version. My other favorite is Queen Angela. She is beautifully drawn, the actress who played her did a great job and she was Motherly without being over bearing. I thought I was going to hate Glimmer and Bow would annoy me, but they were fine. Glimmer grew on me after a few episodes and I do not dislike her design as much as I originally disliked it. I do think it is sad that they basically wasted Netossa and Spinerella until the finale. Oh and I hate Swift Wind. Hate the way he was made (although it is kind of funny how they respond to him when they find out he can talk), hate his dialogue and I feel like he was not really well used however I can understand why they chose to go that route. That is more a personal pet peeve because I love the original. Also was not a fan of the redesign of Castaspella. My kids really enjoyed it. My son absolutely hated the theme song and asked me to skip it, but other than that they seemed to enjoy it. As much as I thought Sea Hawk was goofy they really liked him. I am glad I gave it a chance. It is not MY She-Ra, but it was still fun.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2018, 10:11:11 PM »
I’ve been watching and I love it! I think they’ve done a great job-

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2018, 10:50:12 PM »
I didn't realize it was already out until one of my early-20s friends, who was completely unfamiliar with the original, posted "Oops, I stayed up until 2 AM watching She Ra.  Who I am cosplaying."  :P

Then I watched it myself.  I loved it!  I love how it focuses on Adora's struggles to grapple with her past as part of the Horde, which wasn't really a big part of the original series after the first five-parter, if I'm remembering correctly.  I absolutely love Catra (I'm SUCH a fan of her design, versus her being . . . a normal lady who dressed as a cat for some reason :P)  and I love her complex relationship with Adora.

I LOVE BOW.  He is so funny and charming, but without being just The Goofy Sidekick.  He just seems really . . . genuine?  I also love that he sports a bare midriff, in a homage to 80s Bow's design.  (The dude seriously wore nothing on top but a scanty breastplate.  Just . . . why.  LOL.)  And yeah, his name is Bow, not Beau.  Because he's an archer.  In the 80s he had a winged horse named Arrow. :P

I also love the new princess designs, especially the ice princess and the sea princess.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2018, 07:49:45 AM »
I just finished watching the entire show, and I very much enjoyed it.

The first reactions and spoilers scared me a little, but the anger towards this new version is a little over the top IMO (*cough cough, Clownfish TV, cough*). I do get why some die-hard fans are so hard on this show, because it is drastically different in style and tone. But now that I've seen quite some reviews on it - and the actual show, I also get that a lot of people were apparently hoping for a near identical remake, or at least had a negative attitude towards it going in. The uber positive reviews may be biased, but the real negative ones are as well, I think.

My thoughts, and keep in mind, there are SPOILERS.

I'm just going to get the less good elements out of the way, because there really aren't that many.
- The animation. It is bulky and lacks fluidity. The angles are off at times. It all comes across as amateurish at times.
- The build-up. A lot of story elements are being hinted at ever so slightly, without enough foreshadowing to let you know that it does get deeper further down the line. The first half of the season didn't really entice me to stick around and learn more. I'm glad I did, but I had to force myself to continue the binge watch at one point. Because it does get good in the second half.

Some of the things I liked:
- Shadow Weaver! That chick is just a ticking time bomb, yet again being treated condescendingly by Hordak - and in front of Catra, no less. Let her have her revenge please :D
- The princesses: I enjoyed all of them; redesign and personality. Mermista, a mermaid with a dry sense of humor: love it. Bow is very upbeat - some might see him as annoying, but I enjoyed him as the best friend. Seahawk is not to be taken very seriously; he is a comic relief.
- Adora: Well written, struggling with her new found identity and her loyalty to Catra. Subject of jokes that sometimes fall flat, others times they work.
- Catra: easily the most intriguing character.
Spoiler
Spoiler for Ep. 11 "Promise": I did not expect her to turn on Adora so drastically the way she did. The situation that solidifies the rift between Adora and Catra initially comes across as something that would bring them closer and potentially have Catra question her legiance to the Horde as well. Surprising moment there. Loved it.
- Entrapta: My favorite princess so far. She's socially off, definitely has autistic traits, but they work very well as a non-offensive comedic relief. She was so much fun to watch :D
Spoiler
I was surprised by her joining the Horde! She's also very funny in the ep in which it happens - constantly casually breaking out of her cuffs to join in on Catra's and Scorpia's conversations, then freely putting them back on when Catra points it out. She's a nutty, delightful character!
- She-Ra mythos: Some fans apparently thoroughly hate this concept; I always thought it went without saying that the She-Ra power is an archetype that gets passed down from one person to another when necessary. I liked this part of the story, it allows for side stories, deepening the mythology. I'm definitely interested to learn more about Mara, who apparently broke down under the responsability of having been chosen.

There is so much more to say, but I'll leave it at this.

I think it's fair to say that anyone who goes in with an open mind, won't be (too much?) disappointed. And anyone who had an issue with everything that has been revealed through promotional information, probably won't be swayed by the full show.

As with any reboot, enjoying it comes down to how much are you willing to let go of your expectations and immerse yourself in the new universe.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 07:56:24 AM by DreamvalleyMLP »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal