collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Meet your new Princess - Update: TOYS & TRAILER  (Read 33303 times)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Meet your new Princess (no, not Meghan Markle) - Update: TOYS & TRAILER
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2018, 08:10:23 PM »
Trailer was good, I'm looking forward to checking out the series.
Those toys though... there's something *very* off about the proportions (no, not She-Ra's chest!), maybe it's the head to body ratio?  Catra and She-Ra don't look like they're from the same line to me.  The top of She-Ra's head is also weird looking being all flat and helmet-like.  No elbow or knee articulation makes for a mediocre action figure. Overall, 'meh'.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2018, 05:37:06 AM »
I am so hyped for this. I've watched the trailer at least six times now. :lol: Really want the toys, too, but I'll need to think about it with the two figures (She-Ra and Catra) being $70 USD for the pair. They're available for pre-order online and for me it's not just 'are the worth it?', but moreso 'can I fit them in my budget?' that is giving me pause.

I like the increased depth on the relationship between Adora and Catra. I like the fact that we do see some resistance from Glimmer when she and Adora meet. Bow's line was hilarious. As for She-Ra's identity not being a secret, this actually makes sense considering (far as I know) we're not getting Light Hope, Madam Razz or Cowl, who were essentially her secret keepers.

I also like what they've done with Hordak and Shadow Weaver. The new designs look fabulous. Plus, so many of the other characters who got shown in the trailer also look cool and / or have cool abilities or glimpses of interesting personalities shown. Really loving Mermista and Angela there.

The best I can really say is that this will definitely be trying to draw my attention away from NaNoWriMo next month. I'm going to want to get a head start early on if I want to finish my novel. :lol:

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2018, 05:53:25 AM »
As for She-Ra's identity not being a secret, this actually makes sense considering (far as I know) we're not getting Light Hope, Madam Razz or Cowl, who were essentially her secret keepers.

I hope Light Hope doesn't appear. It weirded me out that She-Ra would talk and take orders from something that was kinda godlike and allknowing. He-Man just had the Sorceress.

I figure her transformation into She-Ra will be similar to the other princesses powers. She-Ra is her powered alias just like Mermista has the mermaid form.
Speaking of which... Mermista is kind of a bada$$ in this. I love her voice.
Even though I love the old series, some of the character voices were creepy and weird. So many of the good women sounded like ditzy  airheads and the evil women sounded like idiots (a Scorpia and Catra remix on repeat could be used to legit torture me). Shadow was the only evil one who sounded cool and they captured that perfectly for the new series.

Glimmer having a more prominent role is great. I swear in the old series she just existed to get kidnapped and she looked only 2 years younger than her mum.

Now let me cross my fingers again to get smokervoice Swiftwind and an appearance by Star Wars character Huntara.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2018, 09:17:18 AM »
Duuuude, that trailer was awesome!  I'm pumped!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2018, 09:18:25 AM »
Oh yeah I remember the old voices-  the false high squeeky breathy voices- what on earth were they thinking?

I guess they didn't bother me a ton as a 5 year old but now, wow.

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2018, 07:43:43 AM »
I believe the voice that draws her to the sword is Light Hope ;)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2018, 06:52:21 PM »
So they are making classic MotU toys too.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2018, 02:09:28 PM »
More tidbits of information on the plot revealed by the showrunner:

Spoiler
Apparently it's set 1000 years in the future - compared to the previous MOTU and POP series - with a new world grown over the remnants of ancient civilisations. The sword apparently comes from those ancient civilisations. Discovering the planet's past, Grayskull and the sword's origins is the red thread through the series, like a mystery.

Sounds good to me!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2018, 06:11:16 AM »
Quote from screenrant:
Spoiler
In addition to providing its target young audience with an important moral lesson about honesty, this trailer tackles two oddities from the original She-Ra backstory. First, it addresses how quickly and easily Princess Adora is able to win the trust of The Great Rebellion without any sign of contrition beyond an apology for everything she did as part of The Evil Horde. It also addresses just how Adora could have no idea that the group that raised her, which openly called itself The Evil Horde, might be a bit on the dodgy side. In the new series, The Horde is called The Evil Horde by everyone else and Adora is revealed to have had a sheltered upbringing far away from the commoners that The Evil Horde oppressed.

It sounds well thought out and I like how it will have an ongoing plot. Thats what I said about modern cartoons, you need more story nowadays. Not just the wish to sell toys.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 06:17:54 AM by Zapper »

Offline MLPLover77

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2018, 04:54:53 PM »
Hmm...I'll have to wait and see.  I usually don't wind up liking re-boots.  I'd love to see She-Ra toys again though!   :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2018, 09:52:31 AM »
I agree saying "in name only" is too harsh. The original She-ra barely even had a plot.

IMO, that is also kinda harsh. It had a plot. It had terrible voices, but it had a plot. The biggest issue with old Shera is the lack of attention given to the other characters and the focus on the annoying ones that were mostly not made, like Madam Razz and the broom - and also on Bow, who was like Rio from Jem only with fewer anger management issues. I hated Rio, Bow just irritated me from existing. My point being that at least Rio elicited a viewer emotion from me...

But Shadow Weaver was class.

*watches trailer. 3 seconds in Shadow Weaver appears*

Ok. I'm sold ;)

No, in all seriousness, series don't have to be identical to their past versions. They can evolve and change. I just think the original has to be respected for what it was and when it was. And basically, for fans of the older series, if the new doesn't appeal, just don't watch it. I don't watch FIM. Doesn't make me any less of a pony fan.

I have to admit the figures are disappointing to me simply because there's no brushable hair. But that's fine. I'll save money. Catra reminds me of something. It isn't Catra...but I like her character much more from this clip and I hope they end up building on that and making Catra more 3 dimensional.

But I kind of like where they're going with this. For me the reason the Jem film failed was because they abandoned all the key origin points of meaning in Jerrica's story before it even began and made it all more superficial and social-mediaish instead of actually having a purpose to her music beyond being famous. It looks like they haven't done that with SheRa. If it comes onto our netflix or whatever here, I'll probably watch it :) even though I don't really like the art style for a couple of the characters.

But in ten seconds Bow apparently has more personality than in the entire 80s series. So that's good...

And I see no Madame Razz.

Also a plus.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:54:12 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2018, 12:44:06 PM »
Catra reminds me of something.

A Thundercat maybe?

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2018, 05:43:30 AM »
I've never seen the original one (all the characters looked too old to me ^^; ), but this new one looks really fun!

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Meet your new Princess - Update: TOYS & TRAILER
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2018, 04:48:29 AM »
Another spoiler tidbit:

Spoiler
Bow has two dads

I love how they start to work sensitive subjects like this into a cartoon for both kids and adults. I honestly can't wait for this to be released!

Mind you: the spoilers come from interviews with the creators, but it's the studio that has the final say in stuff like this I'm sure. Still; Hyped!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Meet your new Princess - Update: TOYS & TRAILER
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2018, 06:55:25 AM »
Uh-oh... after that spoiler I need to make comment sections a taboo for me. I really don't care to find out how the comic book nerds will react to this.

But I wonder how many more parents we will see now. Technically they are all tweens so it would make sense for some of them to live at home. Not all can be orphans.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal