collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New Thundercats?!  (Read 11820 times)

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: New Thundercats?!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 04:21:53 AM »
ohhh this looks like another Cartoon Network IP.... uhhhhhh The Amazing World of Gumball the Cat...

Yup.

This looks awful.

Some watered down parody that has no real substance.  Sad.

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 05:32:02 AM »
Well, that was unpleasant to look at!  Why is this style so popular?  It looks terribly lazy!  Good grief, animation in general has become so lazy and unimaginative. 

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 07:01:26 AM »
Gross...why, why!  I loved the original even though the only episodes I ever saw were rentals and the one vhs my brothers had before me. I never knew that they rebooted it in 2011. May need to check that out...YouTube I’m assuming? Cartoon Network needs to just disappear. I liked it as a kid with Johnny Bravo and Jonny Quest but it’s like the kids version of Adult Swim. This travesty looks like another wonderful addition to what makes today’s poop loving, Tide Pod-eating, technology addicted, no-imagination-for-real-creative-play youth. Way to go CN...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:42:17 PM by nessa16 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »
Eh, the creator is a big fan and he is right that the original was really goofy. So this is a spoof reboot  and I can get behind that.
I liked the 2010 reboot fine but in hindsight that horrible love triangle they put Cheetara in was crap and it was good they cancelled it.

As for people calling it lazy or unimaginative... you do know the 80s toons were already done in Asian countries because that was cheaper and lazier, right? And that's why old 80s toons all tended to have that comicbook meets anime look. Also, Thundercats, He-Man, She-Ra, Silverhawks and so on were all basically the same formula :lol: We are just so attached to them because we watched it as children. It wasn't better, it was just another time period.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:14:51 AM by Zapper »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 08:24:21 AM »
Quote from: Zapper ilink=topic=391622.msg1716265#msg1716265 date=1526742448
Eh, the creator is a big fan and he is right that the original was really goofy. So this is a spoof reboot  and I can get behind that.
I liked the 2010 reboot fine but in hindsight that horrible love triangle they put Cheetara in was crap and it was good they cancelled it.

As for people calling it lazy or unimaginative... you do know the 80s toons were already done in Asian countries because that was cheaper and lazier, right? And that's why old 80s toons all tended to have that comicbook meets anime look. Also, Thundercats, He-Man, She-Ra, Silverhawks and so on were all basically the same formula :lol: We are just so attached to them because we watched it as children. It wasn't better, it was just another time period.

Its a heck of a lot prettier Zapper. Filmation, Hannah-Barberra and the like, actually looks like some effort was put into it. I don't understand why ugly, lazy and deformed is popular . Not to mention treating kids like they're dumber then a pile of bricks.

The creator definitely is Not a fan. Not any more then Jon Chu was a fan of Jem.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:36:48 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 08:44:48 AM »

Its a heck of a lot prettier Zapper. I don't understand why ugly and deformed is the norm. Not to mention treating kids like they're dumber then a pile of bricks.

The creator definitely is Not a fan. Not any more then Jon Chu was a fan of Jem.

Well ugly is not the same as lazy to me. CN has an interesting approach to creating cartoons nowadays. The storyboarders are essentially the writers, animation is still being done overseas but there is more control over style, plot and character development, which I like.

Most of the style is due to CalArts. It's at a point where people in animation are openly hating on it and I can understand. I have no horse in that race as some modern cartoons I enjoy have that CalArts style and are still amazing to me (Star vs the Forces of Evil on Disney XD, for example). Also there was a time when everything on CN was cynical slapstick cartoon violence with really thick outlines. Samurai Jack and Teen Titans were the only toons of that era I liked. Most of those older toons are unwatchable to me nowadays because they had no story and had annoying characters and all had thick sharpie outlines and looked really deformed.
CN has all those CalArts people do properties on what they love. That's very imaginative to me and better than the same formula disguised as different series (80s), slapstick cartoons (90s) or cynical nastiness (00s).

As for that guy not being a fan... well he said he is and showed his collection. Some fans love to poke fun at the things they love (like me!) so I need to wait and judge after seeing a few episodes.
I am just tired of every reboot getting booed before it even aired. The 2010 reboot of Thundercats was trashed by fans, had bad viewership and now suddenly everyone likes it. So predictable :lol:

I mean... people in this very thread have praised Johnny Test over modern CN.
Johnny. Freaking. Test.
A poorly flash animated rip-off of Dexter's Laboratory. Yeah no, I will watch the new Thundercats if Johnny Test fans hate it already! It can only be better than JT :lol: ;)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 09:04:25 AM »

Its a heck of a lot prettier Zapper. I don't understand why ugly and deformed is the norm. Not to mention treating kids like they're dumber then a pile of bricks.

Well ugly is not the same as lazy to me. CN has an interesting approach to creating cartoons nowadays. The storyboarders are essentially the writers, animation is still being done overseas but there is more control over style, plot and character development, which I like.

Most of the style is due to CalArts. It's at a point where people in animation are openly hating on it and I can understand. I have no horse in that race as some modern cartoons I enjoy have that CalArts style and are still amazing to me (Star vs the Forces of Evil on Disney XD, for example). Also there was a time when everything on CN was cynical slapstick cartoon violence with really thick outlines. Samurai Jack and Teen Titans were the only toons of that era I liked. Most of those older toons are unwatchable to me nowadays because they had no story and had annoying characters and all had thick sharpie outlines and looked really deformed.
CN has all those CalArts people do properties on what they love. That's very imaginative to me and better than the same formula disguised as different series (80s), slapstick cartoons (90s) or cynical nastiness (00s).

As for that guy not being a fan... well he said he is and showed his collection. Some fans love to poke fun at the things they love (like me!) so I need to wait and judge after seeing a few episodes.
I am just tired of every reboot getting booed before it even aired. The 2010 reboot of Thundercats was trashed by fans, had bad viewership and now suddenly everyone likes it. So predictable :lol:

Johnny. Freaking. Test.
A poorly flash animated rip-off of Dexter's Laboratory. Yeah no, I will watch the new Thundercats if Johnny Test fans hate it already! It can only be better than JT :lol: ;)

Then those CalArts people need to be fired if TTG clones is the only thing their puny little brains are capable of doing for a reboot. I never liked CN. The only good shows they had were shows that were made by better more talented people that had already been around a lot longer, plus a few original cartoons like Courage and Foster's. I loved the 2011 Thundercats.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:08:53 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 10:30:51 AM »
I’m gonna say it...

I actually like Teen Titans Go! Yes, it’s silly and completely unlike its predecessor, but it’s also self-aware, amusing, and something fun to watch when you’re not in the mood for realism and melodrama. What amuses me most are the episodes where they actually address all of the hate the show gets: Robin: “Great, now we’re going to get nasty comments on the internet again!” (In a whiny, mocking tone, reading the comments on a video): “‘Waaa! You ruined my childhood!’” XD

I like Gumball too, lol. And Regular Show.

Johnny. Freaking. Test.

I agree with every word of this. :iconclap: I’m willing to give it a chance. It’s not a serious “reboot”; it’s something new in a different genre. I understand people being disappointed if they were expecting/hoping for a serious continuation of the original Thundercats, but... Blindly hating something because you don’t like the genre is pretty pointless.

Also... Steven Universe is one of my favorite series of all time. IMO, Cartoon Network is going through a (mostly) good phase right now.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 10:34:07 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 12:54:40 PM »
No..... just no ....... no

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2018, 01:06:53 PM »
My feelings about the 2010-ish ThunderCats show is that it was . . . alright.  But also kind of dull.

I agree that fans bashing reboots get tiresome, and that stylized isn't the same as lazy.  (You should have heard the fanboys crying about "lazy" animation in the Pokemon Sun / Moon anime.  Hooboy.) In this case, though, I just really do not like the animation designs at all.

To be honest I didn't think ThunderCats was goofy at all compared to most 80s cartoons.  (Now He-Man was another story, lol.)  And it had terrific, fluid animation for its time.  Way better than the Sunbow cartoons (MLP, Transformers, & Jem).  ThunderCats was weird--very very weird--but didn't have the unintentional "WTF?"-ness that many 80s cartoons had.

I can't hate on CN too much, though, because they show Steven Universe and that is the best cartoon I've ever seen.  I'm consistently amazed and impressed by it.  But on the other hand, CN greenlit "Uncle Grandpa" which is one of the most obnoxious cartoons I've ever seen.  It's like there's no middle ground with those guys.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:09:39 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 02:14:33 PM »
One other really important point to consider - comparing 80s animation with modern animation is a bit weird to me. We're talkiing about two completely different methods (in fact, probably several different) of animating shows between the two periods because of available tech.

Another point. Being a fan doesn't make you the authority on how a show should be rebooted. That's not to say any of us have that authority either. The reason these things generate negativity is because lots of fans have fond memories of the past show they liked, and strong opinions on what they see that show being. If the fan who is redeveloping it doesn't have the same image as other fans, then there's going to be criticism.

I have no issue with fanart or fanfic or something on those lines with this kind of stuff. But when you are imposing your vision of the franchise on the whole of the fandom and all the people who grew up with it, then taking criticism is essential. Your vision isn't everyone's vision. And it's also going to be influenced by what the companies involved think will appeal and sell to the audiences.

Personally, I hate the animation style. I also hate obvious slapstick humour. But I'm the girl who has never yet found a single clip of One Piece funny despite frequent attempts from friends to show me just how hilarious it is. I don't remember Thundercats being slapstick funny. There's a difference for me in those.

I wouldn't be so melodramatic and say they ruined my childhood. They didn't do that even with FIM, although I dislike the animation style there, too, and have issue with lots of bits of the plot. It's just that being a fan of something is sometimes not a good thing when it comes to bringing an old franchise back to life. A fan of something will impose their personal fan-canons onto the audience, like it or not, and are much more likely to have those fan-canons than someone from outside who sits down, looks at the whole thing objectively then builds a new framework.

It's true not all current kids' shows are terrible. But I do feel kind of sorry for kids in some of the stuff they have to watch. Not least because they have to watch so many reboots of old things instead of having stuff designed for them. It's a lame world when all creators can do is rewrite the stuff that was big in the past, rather than come up with something new and original to work on.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2018, 04:34:41 PM »
wait people thing Johnny Test is GOOD???

my beef is that the creator is saying that its completely inline with the original show.

It's not! yes 80's thundercats was campy and goofy at its best,but it still dealt with serious issues. but this crud they're starting to pull with shows is basically give kids something simple minded to look at and that's it.
do I wish this series to fail? NO. I actually do think kids will watch it and be entertained its just not my cup of tea, I will try and catch a couple eps but that is about it.
I can't stand the style, its gone cookie cutter, everyone is trying to eat off the success of SU so they copy the style even Disney is doing it with their new shows.

I wanted to like it but I cringed at the opening theme it was like... HOW does this compare to the original? i said it in one post and I'll say it again, I think that song would have worked in a looney tunes/tiny toons episode. not a stand alone theme maybe they'll get a better theme.

I actually liked the 2011 reboot, I didn't care for the love triangle someone else mentioned, but when I heard there was another go at Thundercats? I thought they were going through with another freaking season and giving THAT reboot a proper ending instead of the cliff hanger we got. and then i saw the announcement  and went WHAT. NO.

I swear to Greyskull that Netflix gets She-Ra right.
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2018, 05:08:53 PM »
I hope this thing fails hard.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »
I don’t see anyone on here saying that they like this Johnny Test everyone keeps mentioning...?

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 12:39:35 PM »
https://twitter.com/NicoColaleo/status/997544040491974656

Apparently this guy working on it says he hates it.

Really rude statement retracted:

ounds to me like they're jealous of people who are actually talented and successful.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:47:27 PM by Leave a Whisper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal